Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Swine Flu

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/...xico_swine_flu

Should we be concern about this flu strain?

Default Re: Swine Flu

I don't know if this is serious or not. 4 people in this county, San Diego County, have had it and they all recovered. If over 1,000 have had it in Mexico and 80 have died it does not seem to have a terribly high fatality rate, it may be basically another flu that might be a bit more contagious than most, but not "the big one" in the sense that Bird Flu is predicted to be, being both contagious and deadly. As of this morning about 1100 people in Mexico are said to have been sick with it, with 83 deaths, 25 New Zealanders who visited Mexico appear to be sick, several students in New York City appear to be sick with it, and it has appeared in Texas and Kansas.

The news media has often tended to sound false alarms: it sells papers, it draws viewers and listeners. This may well be just another variety of flu. It may not. Only time will tell. But it would seem wise to be cautious--to wash the hands frequently, maybe to avoid crowded rooms and to avoid hospitals unless necessary.
    Last edited by Kalalau; April 26th, 2009 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
    The news media has often tended to sound false alarms: it sells papers, it draws viewers and listeners. This may well be just another variety of flu. It may not. Only time will tell. But it would seem wise to be cautious--to wash the hands frequently, maybe to avoid crowded rooms and to avoid hospitals unless necessary.
    Avoid hospitals unless necesary, sure. But assuming you're not a hypocondriac and you think there's even a slight possibility you have contracted the virus, don't hesitate to seek help! Delaying treatment could be a deadly mistake.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 26th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

I currently reside in Los Cabos, Mexico. No flu here at this time, but it is sure to come. The epicenter of the flu outbreak appears to be Mexico City, the smoggiest city in the world. The "reported" 1000 cases of flu and 83 deaths are, for the most part, in Mexico City.

In my opinion, Mexico does not have a very good track record in keeping accurate statistics. Consequently, I am not concerned.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Simply because this is Hawaii, it's not a question of IF swine flu gets here, but when.

I ride the express bus #80 each morning from Hawaii Kai. My friend from the State Department spent last week in Mexico and Texas. She sits next to me on theBus. I'm worried. I hope she didn't get it, and if she did, I hope she stays home until she feels better.

My husband wonders if I shouldn't ride theBus for a while. I was just telling him that on the #1, which is one of the buses I catch at Hotel Street to get to work, is full of people who cough freely into the air, without covering their mouths or caring about their spray. I head it's against the law to pound someone. I guess it's OK to cough all over the place.

I shouldn't get started on theBus. It's a flippin' freak show.

I absolutely am concerned by this.

pax

Default This is some serious stuff!

This may be Obama's Katrina.

And supposedly, a guy he met with about the matter recently, died the next day from it.

Default Re: Get real

I love that thread.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    I looked at the beginning & end of the linked thread, but I don't understand the context of the "social distancing" comment.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

I think social distancing is a concept to stop the spread of a contagious disease. Basically you have people not gather in places like schools, movie theaters or sporting events. I suspect it might be an issue for mass transit systems as well since a lot of people use those services.

Thing is when do it and for how long you do it for.

Social distancing is going inside your house and locking the door and not coming out til it's over. They did it in Oberamergau during the plague by closing off the town and that's how it got saved and that's why they do the passion play every ten years since (they actually credit God). As concidence would have it, there was The Little House on the Prairie this week in France and they had an episode called 'The Quarantine', where some members of a family get sick so the dad locks himself and the sick in the shed to save the others and Laura goes in a gets sick and so she gets locked in, too.

Keep away from people until the sick has died off.

Mexico is doing a light version at the moment, by asking everyone to stay home and by cancelling all public venues.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Keep away from people until the sick has died off.
    "I think the primary purpose of a mask is to scare the heck out of the people you're talking to, and then they stay 5 feet away. They don't keep viruses away, they keep people away."
    -- Laurie Garrett (author of The Coming Plague, and a fellow on the Council for Foreign Relations who studied global health and emerging diseases)
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Default H1N1 (Swine Flu) is here

CDC confirms three cases of flu in Islands
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../90505063/1352
    "With the confirmation of these three cases by CDC, Hawaii joins 38 or more states reporting confirmed H1N1 Influenza A or swine-origin flu activity," according to the Dept of Health. The people people either recently traveled to the mainland, or were family members of a traveler.

Does this news affect your travel plans? Is it something that is in the back of your mind when you are in an enclosed building full of people, like a movie theater? Do you have any concerns?

What, if anything, will you be doing or not doing now that the H1N1 (aka Swine Flu) has hit Hawaii?
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Lightbulb Re: H1N1 (Swine Flu) is here

This topic is already being discussed here.

We canít be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

ó U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Default Re: H1N1 (Swine Flu) is here

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    This topic is already being discussed here.
    What's that you say? Your writing is too small for me to see.

People, people - why all the shouting? I'm tryin' to catch up on some sleep here... Go back to being nice, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    People, people - why all the shouting? I'm tryin' to catch up on some sleep here... Go back to being nice, now.
    I did wonder why I was being shouted out, that perhaps I had committed a major HT sin in my error of posting to a new thread. And, it did make me think about another thread's question, "Where Did All The Nice People Go".

Meanwhile, thank you admin for graciously moving my posting to where it belonged.
    Last edited by Amati; May 6th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    CDC confirms three cases of flu in Islands
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../90505063/1352
    "With the confirmation of these three cases by CDC, Hawaii joins 38 or more states reporting confirmed H1N1 Influenza A or swine-origin flu activity," according to the Dept of Health. The people people either recently traveled to the mainland, or were family members of a traveler.

Does this news affect your travel plans? Is it something that is in the back of your mind when you are in an enclosed building full of people, like a movie theater? Do you have any concerns?

What, if anything, will you be doing or not doing now that the H1N1 (aka Swine Flu) has hit Hawaii?
    Well thank you Amati for your thoughts and questions, much appreciated.
    I have flown from HNL to Dallas and now to MPLS/STPAUL. Last night I was with 20,000 people at the Elton John/Billy Joel "Face to Face Tour" and it was amazing and no one was wearing masks or such. I leave on Saturday for Chicago but have no mass hysteria public events on the docket. My plans could not have been affected and I saw my physiatrist the day before he said people like me in relatively good health should be o.k. What I can tell you is that so much travel induces major fatigue and the only thing I'm in peril of is traction as my back and legs are ready to give out from pain!

Given that this is a combination of bird and swine flu wouldn't a more proper name be the flying pig flu?

did anyone wash their hands after reading tis thread?
    If standing up, please hold on. Sudden stops are sometimes necessary - Da Bus

Default Swine flu death in Hawaii

So I'm gonna be a pain in the butt and bring out this old thread, yet again...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=preps

Default Re: Swine flu death in Hawaii

Don't be fooled by this government orchestrated sham. Swine flu is no more dangerous than the common flu. Though, I would be a little bit more concerned if I were Mexican. Check the stats. 10x more people died in Mexico than other countries around the world. Funny, they started playing the movie "Outbreak" on tv. Biological weapon? No doubt in my mind. I've read news articles where a number of scientists are 100% certain. I would be more concerned about the government trying to enforce vaccinations on us. Who do they think they're foolin!?

Default Re: Swine flu death in Hawaii

Where's my popcorn? This could be fun...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast