Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Swine Flu

hi,i just learned when i called kalihi walgreen's that from mon-fri that from the time they open the store and the pharmacy dept,first you'd have to fill out a form like the seasonal flu shot,then you'd pay an administrative fee of $18.00 and then the swine flu shot is free and they dont take like Hmsa or other insurance's so if you may wish to learn about it,

call walgreen's in your area or safeway in the pharmacy dept and they will help you.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

From this morning's Honolulu Advertiser:
      Hawaii swine flu vaccinations just for priority groups, for now

Comment

Okay y'all; I got the nasal H1N1 vaccine this afternoon. I just decided better safe than sorry, and I have never had a bad reaction to any vaccine in (ahem) over 40 years. And I have certainly had more than my share of vaccines.

I really considered not getting this one. Honest. But I hate having the flu, and I have experienced flu vaccines working for me several times. I have three days off to recover if needed, so I thought it would be the best time.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

How did you qualify for the vaccine? I'm trying to figure out when I will be able to get it. I've been told I'm at the bottom of the list as far as eligibility.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            How did you qualify for the vaccine? I'm trying to figure out when I will be able to get it. I've been told I'm at the bottom of the list as far as eligibility.
            I believe cyleet99 is included in the priority category of "health care and emergency services personnel."
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

well, I'm definitely not in that group. I'm in the "seniors with underlying conditions" group. My understanding from my Dr. is that we are pretty much last for the shots, at least for now. I'm not too concerned right now because I have been exposed to, or had, all the major flu varieties that have come along. In a couple of months, if the H1N1 gets bad, then I'll get worried. Nothing I can do about it right now so why worry?
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                I believe cyleet99 is included in the priority category of "health care and emergency services personnel."
                yup, you right, musubi. A lot of my coworkers feel we have been exposed to so much already that this vaccine is not needed. I figure every little bit helps.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  omg, I can hardly believe this is happening in america.
                  Forced vaccinations for workers is wrong, no matter how you look at it. Every human being has the absolute right to decide what does or does not go into their body. When govt or employers start infringing upon personal bodily rights, well thats just wrong.
                  reducing the matter to a discussion of personal rights is a little simplistic.

you might say that healthcare employers already "infringe upon personal body rights" of their employees. anyone who works for a hospital, for example, must submit to annual TB testing or chest xray.

on the other hand, no person should be forced to receive treatment if they make that refusal with complete comprehension.

on the other hand, if by not choosing vaccination, one puts others at risk of deadly disease that would not be a concern if herd immunity were upheld, i'm not sure that's fair to the community.

i was concerned when i saw cyleet's previous post about not wanting to get the H1N1 vaccine even if she is a healthcare worker. however, it's not for me to judge, as i can see why she would question it. i am very relieved she decided to get it after all. thank you, cyleet.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That kinda sucks that the CDC recommends that everybody get the vaccine yet there's only enough to go around for qualified individuals.

Plus there's the fact that many Americans don't have health insurance and can't afford it.

How does that make them feel about the Obama Administration? Only a select few will be innocculated and those who can't afford it simply can't get it even if they qualified. What a great way of thinning out the masses.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hi,this week,im going to take my swine flu shot at wallgreen's in kalihi where the old kam bowl was and i'll pay the $18.00 and then get my free swine flu shot and then return home.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                        ...i'll pay the $18.00 and then get my free swine flu shot...
                        How is it free if you pay $18.00?

Comment

Safeway's offering flu shots but it's $40. I'm wondering if the $18.00 is a co-pay?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            That kinda sucks that the CDC recommends that everybody get the vaccine yet there's only enough to go around for qualified individuals.

Plus there's the fact that many Americans don't have health insurance and can't afford it.

How does that make them feel about the Obama Administration? Only a select few will be innocculated and those who can't afford it simply can't get it even if they qualified. What a great way of thinning out the masses.
                            i don't think there's so much a shortage as there was a manufacturer delay in getting the vaccines out in the numbers needed within a certain time period.

from the CDC:
                            The CDC does not expect that there will be a shortage of H1N1 (Swine) flu vaccine, but vaccine availability and demand can be unpredictable. It is likely that initially, the vaccine will be available in limited quantities.
                            from new york times:

Projections of the supply of swine flu vaccine have widely varied. During the summer, health officials said 120 million doses would be ready in October. They later dropped the estimate to 40 million doses by the end of the month.

Now, Dr. Schuchat said, they expect only 28 million to 30 million doses, adding that the exact numbers were impossible to predict and could change daily. She said vaccine manufacturers were reporting that production was behind schedule.

“Vaccine production for influenza is pretty complex,” she said in explaining the delay, “and the complex process this year is taking a bit longer than we had hoped. The yield of antigen is lower than they had hoped for.”

The antigen is the part of a virus included in vaccine to stimulate the body’s protective response. It is crucial; a vaccine will not work without it.

Dr. Schuchat also said that once batches of vaccine were prepared, they had to be tested for potency and purity.
                            laying blame at the obama administration's feet is ill-conceived, unless you think our president should advocate for poor vaccine quality control in favor of quicker production.

additionally, H1N1 vaccination quantities are based on a state's population.

here's another way to think about the groups being prioritized to receive the vaccination. those folk are more likely to either (a) be exposed to the virus than other parts of the population or (b) suffer greater consequences if they get sick from H1N1. drastically reducing the chances that these priority groups (a) get the virus and (b) spread it to others is beneficial to ALL of us because it is a targeted reduction of disease vectors regardless of whether we ourselves get the vaccine, more so than if the vaccine were distributed without consideration of these factors.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                              i don't think there's so much a shortage as there was a manufacturer delay in getting the vaccines out in the numbers needed within a certain time period.

from the CDC:

from new york times:

laying blame at the obama administration's feet is ill-conceived, unless you think our president should advocate for poor vaccine quality control in favor of quicker production.

additionally, H1N1 vaccination quantities are based on a state's population.

here's another way to think about the groups being prioritized to receive the vaccination. those folk are more likely to either (a) be exposed to the virus than other parts of the population or (b) suffer greater consequences if they get sick from H1N1. drastically reducing the chances that these priority groups (a) get the virus and (b) spread it to others is beneficial to ALL of us because it is a targeted reduction of disease vectors regardless of whether we ourselves get the vaccine, more so than if the vaccine were distributed without consideration of these factors.

Hey it didn't matter which government agency failed during the Bush Administration but the media said it was his Administration that failed.

And limited quantities means just that...limited.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Hey it didn't matter which government agency failed during the Bush Administration but the media said it was his Administration that failed.
                                really? here are my two retorts to that:

the fact is manufacturer delays are responsible for there not being as much vaccine available as intended at this time so:

(1) i should expect you to be banging on uncle lingle's office door when the day's supply of poi runs out and you haven't gotten your bag yet.

or

(2) when did the US government obtain ownership of pharmaceutical companies? or is this a lie perpetuated by your friends on faux news?
                                Last edited by cynsaligia; October 18, 2009, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X