Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine Flu

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/...xico_swine_flu

Should we be concern about this flu strain?

Re: Swine Flu

I don't know if this is serious or not. 4 people in this county, San Diego County, have had it and they all recovered. If over 1,000 have had it in Mexico and 80 have died it does not seem to have a terribly high fatality rate, it may be basically another flu that might be a bit more contagious than most, but not "the big one" in the sense that Bird Flu is predicted to be, being both contagious and deadly. As of this morning about 1100 people in Mexico are said to have been sick with it, with 83 deaths, 25 New Zealanders who visited Mexico appear to be sick, several students in New York City appear to be sick with it, and it has appeared in Texas and Kansas.

The news media has often tended to sound false alarms: it sells papers, it draws viewers and listeners. This may well be just another variety of flu. It may not. Only time will tell. But it would seem wise to be cautious--to wash the hands frequently, maybe to avoid crowded rooms and to avoid hospitals unless necessary.
    Last edited by Kalalau; April 26, 2009, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
      The news media has often tended to sound false alarms: it sells papers, it draws viewers and listeners. This may well be just another variety of flu. It may not. Only time will tell. But it would seem wise to be cautious--to wash the hands frequently, maybe to avoid crowded rooms and to avoid hospitals unless necessary.
      Avoid hospitals unless necesary, sure. But assuming you're not a hypocondriac and you think there's even a slight possibility you have contracted the virus, don't hesitate to seek help! Delaying treatment could be a deadly mistake.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 26, 2009, 10:29 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

FWIW...
        US declares public health emergency for swine flu

Comment

I currently reside in Los Cabos, Mexico. No flu here at this time, but it is sure to come. The epicenter of the flu outbreak appears to be Mexico City, the smoggiest city in the world. The "reported" 1000 cases of flu and 83 deaths are, for the most part, in Mexico City.

In my opinion, Mexico does not have a very good track record in keeping accurate statistics. Consequently, I am not concerned.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Simply because this is Hawaii, it's not a question of IF swine flu gets here, but when.

I ride the express bus #80 each morning from Hawaii Kai. My friend from the State Department spent last week in Mexico and Texas. She sits next to me on theBus. I'm worried. I hope she didn't get it, and if she did, I hope she stays home until she feels better.

My husband wonders if I shouldn't ride theBus for a while. I was just telling him that on the #1, which is one of the buses I catch at Hotel Street to get to work, is full of people who cough freely into the air, without covering their mouths or caring about their spray. I head it's against the law to pound someone. I guess it's OK to cough all over the place.

I shouldn't get started on theBus. It's a flippin' freak show.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I absolutely am concerned by this.

pax

Comment

This is some serious stuff!

This may be Obama's Katrina.

And supposedly, a guy he met with about the matter recently, died the next day from it.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  I head it's against the law to pound someone. I guess it's OK to cough all over the place.
                  I think the difference between maliciously assaulting someone vs. a sick person who can't help their coughing/sneezing is obvious.

If one is that concerned and wants to do something right now, then they could start wearing a breathing mask out in public.

Recall that about 5-6 years ago, there was the SARS epidemic scare coming out of Asia. But while it put a damper on the number of tourists coming from Japan and China, Hawaii managed to get through it okay.

The important thing is not to press the panic button, but to keep abreast of the latest news and to take whatever instructions are issued by state health officials.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    The important thing is not to press the panic button, but to keep abreast of the latest news and to take whatever instructions are issued by state health officials.
                    Well advised, FM.

Take the usual precautions that you should do every day, to prevent the spread of disease - regular hand-washing is a simple one that we take for granted in the "first world."

Comment

Cops getting sick now?

I always wonder about it when a disease supposedly breaks out in a foreign country. It always happens to be in a country that is a US trade partner. Did Mexico do something to the US recently, and are US spin docs throwing this out there to damage the Mexican economy?
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post

I ride the express bus #80 each morning...

I ride the DC Metro everyday...after moving here, I went through about a 6month spell of getting sick every other week, IT SUCKED. Bottom line, Dr. said it was a mix of me having a lowered immune system and the fact of being exposed to thousands of people in confined spaces...hand rails, sneezing, coughing all in a spce the size of a bus multiplied by 6-8train cars=A LOT of potential for some serious spreading of junk.
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

So it turns out Republicans cut out $890 million from President Obama's budget that would have gone for epidemic control, calling it "pork". And now we have a swine flu epidemic. Cosmic irony.

Comment

My dad once overheard a nurse in a hospital say she had just come back from a vacation is South East Asia, during the whole SARS outbreak...

Convenience trumps caution.

Forests have survived fires for millions of years. Trees sunk their roots deep enough to survive the heat. Then humanity started using technology to put fires out and "save" the forests. Instead of being burned off little by little, undergrowth started building up year after year, until a super fire fed on it all. These super fires burned so hot, they destroyed the roots of trees. Humanity's attempt to save the forest ended up killing it.

Medicine's dedication to saving every life is noble, but it's not balanced by population control (which is a whole can of ethical worms). As population densities increase, we're setting ourselves up for a biological wildfire. So yeah, I'm worried, but people don't change until they suffer, so I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry for getting bit off topic there. So yeah, wash your hands and wear a mask if you're more worried than embarrassed.
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                              So it turns out Republicans cut out $890 million from President Obama's budget that would have gone for epidemic control, calling it "pork". And now we have a swine flu epidemic. Cosmic irony.
                              Haha, pork.
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                              X