Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Swine flu death in Hawaii

Don't be fooled by this government orchestrated sham. Swine flu is no more dangerous than the common flu. Though, I would be a little bit more concerned if I were Mexican. Check the stats. 10x more people died in Mexico than other countries around the world. Funny, they started playing the movie "Outbreak" on tv. Biological weapon? No doubt in my mind. I've read news articles where a number of scientists are 100% certain. I would be more concerned about the government trying to enforce vaccinations on us. Who do they think they're foolin!?

Comment

Where's my popcorn? This could be fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
        Don't be fooled by this government orchestrated sham.
        Do you have enough confidence in the government to orchestrate this.

Comment

I got the flu, and whether it's swine or not, man I sometimes have been wishing I'd just join the dead. Light symptoms and it'll probably pass quickly, but the body ache is terrible.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
            Though, I would be a little bit more concerned if I were Mexican.
            Economic differences, I assume.

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            Excellent point. The problem with most conspiracy theories.

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            the body ache is terrible.
            Yeah, that's the worse. G'luck with that.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

• Re: Swine Flu

As one who deals with the H1N1 virus and all that it implies on a daily basis (yes---really) I can tell you that it is not a source of humor.
              You all know where I work. Due to privacy issues I can''t share with you all that I would share if there were no constraints but suffice it to say that this is a very serious issue. It's a nasty flu, plain and simple, and IME it's hitting hard.
              The scary part is that it is hitting the young hardest--just like the Spanish Flu of 1918. Very ugly.
              So be careful out there and head to a good ER (read QUEENS) if you think you have the H1N1 virus.
              The overriding flu factor is fever, BTW. And...generally feeling REALLY bad. Let the ER crew decide whether you have to be hospitalized. No shame...

Comment

We're being hit with piles of the flu, too. It's strange to get so many flu cases (swine or not) in the summer months. I worked a bunch the last couple of weeks, and we have only admitted a few, mostly when the flu is complicating chronic conditions. Most folks are given instruction for home care and isolation, and some, but not all, get antiviral meds.

There's nothing quite like spending a day collecting boogers, and I don't think there is an end in sight. At least now we are not testing EVERYONE, just the ones recommended by the DOH (infants, elderly, pregnant women, healthcare workers, etc.) Lately my toughest job has been reminding them to keep their mask on in the ED.

Check out the CDC website and the Hawaii DOH sites for good information. (I know this has probably been posted before, but now you don't have to go find it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  What's so hard about planting it on door knobs? If we can orchestrate a war in the Iraq, swine flu is nothin!

Our DOH has still been unable to explain how various schools on this island had just a few students with the bug without apparent exposure to other infected people or traveling out of town.

Chew on these- Bwhaa ha haaaaaaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNS0Q-uxycA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJQCJp4ehc

Comment

Here: Double your pleasure, double your fun.

Make sure to watch the 1979 T.V. documentary by 60 minutes on the swine flu and tell me if you trust our government. Yes, the swine flu existed back then too.

http://www.infowars.com/canadian-doc...extermination/

Comment

(H1N1) Viruses resistant to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) identified

Time to move to the middle of nowhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                        No...but I think you just bolstered Bobinator’s theory.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Well, consider the Gulf War Syndrome. That came from vaccinations too.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                            The scary part is that it is hitting the young hardest--just like the Spanish Flu of 1918. Very ugly.
                            So be careful out there and head to a good ER (read QUEENS) if you think you have the H1N1 virus.
                            The overriding flu factor is fever, BTW. And...generally feeling REALLY bad. Let the ER crew decide whether you have to be hospitalized. No shame...
                            Exactly how is the 2009 Swine Flu like the Spanish Flu of 1918, other than being of the same "H1N1" subtype? As MyopicJoe correctly stated, the Spanish Flu primarily killed off young adults while our current pandemic prefers children and the immunocompromised. The Spanish Flu also killed an estimated 20-100 million people in one year. Seasonal influenza is responsible for 36,000 deaths annually in the US alone. By comparison, the Swine Flu has killed less than 500 people worldwide so far this year. The mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was conservatively estimated at 2.5%. Compare that with less than 0.2% for the Swine Flu. (Stats obtained from the CDC & WHO)

But enough of the statistical diarrhea. What does it all mean? The flu in any shape or form is not to be trifled with. Definitely take all reasonable and proper precautions.

On the other hand, infecting people's minds with alarmist hyperbole is never helpful. I don't doubt your bedside experience. I'm sure you're a great nurse and wonderful at handling individual patients. When it comes to the exponentially larger scale of public health I think it's wise to defer to the experts of that domain, i.e. DoH, CDC, WHO, etc.

Swine Flu tracker powered by Google Maps.
                            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Well this one hit home, landed on my doorstep. Not me, but a younger family member (ain't they all?). Luckily we caught it quick. The medicos said H1N1 is a variant of Influenza A, and the treatment is the same. Tamiflu has been effective and he's no longer shedding cells (i.e., non-contagious) and other than a uncomfortable week and precautions, we're OK.

I recommend calling a doctor at the FIRST SIGNS, which in this case was fever.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                                I listened to a speech at UH given by an outbreak expert.
                                Currently he's more worried about MRSA than Swine Flu. Even the plague ranks higher on his worry list, though luckily it's not an issue in Hawaii.
                                I haven't seen a single case of the plague so right now I'm a little more concerned about MRSA and H1N1,

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                I got the flu, and whether it's swine or not, man I sometimes have been wishing I'd just join the dead. Light symptoms and it'll probably pass quickly, but the body ache is terrible.
                                The last time I got the flu was back in the '70's but I do remember how hard it hit me. Most people don't go to the doctor when they have "light symptoms" (not sure from your post whether or not you did) and this is why estimates of the actual numbers of flu cases far surpass the stats for cases that have been confirmed by lab testing. Based on mathematical modeling the CDC estimates that the number of actual cases of H1N1 is now past one million in the US.

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                                We're being hit with piles of the flu, too. It's strange to get so many flu cases (swine or not) in the summer months. I worked a bunch the last couple of weeks, and we have only admitted a few, mostly when the flu is complicating chronic conditions. Most folks are given instruction for home care and isolation, and some, but not all, get antiviral meds.

There's nothing quite like spending a day collecting boogers, and I don't think there is an end in sight. At least now we are not testing EVERYONE, just the ones recommended by the DOH (infants, elderly, pregnant women, healthcare workers, etc.) Lately my toughest job has been reminding them to keep their mask on in the ED.

Check out the CDC website and the Hawaii DOH sites for good information. (I know this has probably been posted before, but now you don't have to go find it!)
                                Thanks for posting the links again. Great info, especially on the CDC site.
                                I can't tell you who or what we've been admitting, of course, but suffice it to say we are taking massive isolation precautions here. Complete droplet isolation regalia including shoe covers, gloves, the immensely uncomfortable N95 masks (necessary because of possible aerolization of secretions when ventilator circuits are disconnected), and gowns. Basically your full body condom.

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                                Exactly how is the 2009 Swine Flu like the Spanish Flu of 1918, other than being of the same "H1N1" subtype? As MyopicJoe correctly stated, the Spanish Flu primarily killed off young adults while our current pandemic prefers children and the immunocompromised. The Spanish Flu also killed an estimated 20-100 million people in one year. Seasonal influenza is responsible for 36,000 deaths annually in the US alone. By comparison, the Swine Flu has killed less than 500 people worldwide so far this year. The mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was conservatively estimated at 2.5%. Compare that with less than 0.2% for the Swine Flu. (Stats obtained from the CDC & WHO)

But enough of the statistical diarrhea. What does it all mean? The flu in any shape or form is not to be trifled with. Definitely take all reasonable and proper precautions.

On the other hand, infecting people's minds with alarmist hyperbole is never helpful. I don't doubt your bedside experience. I'm sure you're a great nurse and wonderful at handling individual patients. When it comes to the exponentially larger scale of public health I think it's wise to defer to the experts of that domain, i.e. DoH, CDC, WHO, etc.

Swine Flu tracker powered by Google Maps.
                                Scientifically speaking it is useless to compare morbidity and mortality numbers pertaining to the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 with the present statistics generated by the novel H1N1 virus. The 1918 pandemic began in March of that year and for the first six months, although infection rates were high, death rates were not. It was the second wave of infection, occuring in the fall of 1918, that resulted in the tremendous death rates.
                                Bear in mind, too, that no anti-virals existed in 1918. There was little one could do except wait out the course of the disease and pray. Deaths from a pandemic were destined to be catastrophic.
                                The first US case of human infection by the present novel H1N1 virus was recorded as occuring in April 2009. We have a long way to go to be able to compare the two events with any scientific reliability. It's best to hold off on the numbers game for now.
                                But there is one glaring similarity that we are seeing now (and which is clearly evidenced by the stats pertaining to ages of H1N1 victims published by the CDC) and that is the propensity of the virus to affect the young. This is what I very briefly referenced in my previous post. This trend has been noted not only by our own public health organizations but by those in Canada and Mexico. The evidence is not just anecdotal in nature. The statistics clearly show it.
                                MPB, since you have an aversion to "statistical diarrhea" I'll refrain from posting the stats here. I suggest you google to your heart's content. The information is out there.
                                And I'd like to take a moment here, MPB, to thank you for that sweet pat pat pat on my little nursey head. I can assure you that my knowledge and skill sets go a bit beyond "bedside nursing of the individual patient."
                                Nurses today, especially in the critical care setting, are expected to not only be amazingly proficient in the technical and practical demands of the profession but also to keep abreast of the latest developments in public health. This is our livelihood, our profession, and we take it very seriously. Condescension in any form is not appreciated and not to be ignored. Some of us not only do google searches for information from the CDC and WHO, we actually get updates from them on a regular basis, along with bulletins from NEJM and JAMA and we also have subscriptions to numerous professional journals. We read them in between passing out bedpans and trying to live up to the images portrayed of us in the Johnson and Johnson commercials.
                                Add to that our real-life experiences in the medical world and years of practice and gee whiz we just might have something to bring to the table in this discussion and perhaps should not be so lightly dismissed with a pat on the head and a chastising suggestion to leave the actual thinking to the Big Boys.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                Well this one hit home, landed on my doorstep. Not me, but a younger family member (ain't they all?). Luckily we caught it quick. The medicos said H1N1 is a variant of Influenza A, and the treatment is the same. Tamiflu has been effective and he's no longer shedding cells (i.e., non-contagious) and other than a uncomfortable week and precautions, we're OK.

I recommend calling a doctor at the FIRST SIGNS, which in this case was fever.
                                Kaonohi thanks for adding that last sentence. Fever is one of the signs that what one is coming down with may be more than a cold.
                                Glad all worked out for your family member. Be safe and be well!

Take care, everyone!
                                Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; July 11, 2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X