Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get real

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    I looked at the beginning & end of the linked thread, but I don't understand the context of the "social distancing" comment.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Re: Get real

I think social distancing is a concept to stop the spread of a contagious disease. Basically you have people not gather in places like schools, movie theaters or sporting events. I suspect it might be an issue for mass transit systems as well since a lot of people use those services.

Thing is when do it and for how long you do it for.

Comment

Re: Swine Flu

Social distancing is going inside your house and locking the door and not coming out til it's over. They did it in Oberamergau during the plague by closing off the town and that's how it got saved and that's why they do the passion play every ten years since (they actually credit God). As concidence would have it, there was The Little House on the Prairie this week in France and they had an episode called 'The Quarantine', where some members of a family get sick so the dad locks himself and the sick in the shed to save the others and Laura goes in a gets sick and so she gets locked in, too.

Keep away from people until the sick has died off.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mexico is doing a light version at the moment, by asking everyone to stay home and by cancelling all public venues.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            Keep away from people until the sick has died off.
            "I think the primary purpose of a mask is to scare the heck out of the people you're talking to, and then they stay 5 feet away. They don't keep viruses away, they keep people away."
            -- Laurie Garrett (author of The Coming Plague, and a fellow on the Council for Foreign Relations who studied global health and emerging diseases)
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              Within one week I went from having my first discussion with my daughter about this swine flu to its presence now being detected in state to the first case of it suspected on her campus.
              Eeesh. Best wishes to you and your daughter.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Well, luckily for me, I am a stay at home...I guess you could say housewife, but I never really thought of myself as that before! (Not that it's a bad thing) The only person I see on a frequent basis other than my husband is my best friend, and she works from home, as does her husband. And due to my husband's work schedule, I so rarely see him anymore, and due to a recent back injury, I've been sleeping on the sofa bed (that one doesn't hurt my back for some reason).

My husband said they passed out ginormous pumps of hand sanitizer at work today to all the employees. I make him wash his hands as soon as he gets home. So I think I'm being as safe as possible. I do my grocery shopping at night anyway since I have no car during the day, and I always use my own pen, then wash my hands as soon as I'm done with the cart, door, etc. Maybe a little paranoid, but I'm not in a mask and gloves!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  "I think the primary purpose of a mask is to scare the heck out of the people you're talking to, and then they stay 5 feet away. They don't keep viruses away, they keep people away."
                  -- Laurie Garrett (author of The Coming Plague, and a fellow on the Council for Foreign Relations who studied global health and emerging diseases)
                  We're scared of a person who lives in a bubble. When the person in the bubble would die being outside because of us.
                  The new name for the Swine Flu is H1N1. As written down, the abbreviation looks like this flu comes from Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                    [...]I do my grocery shopping at night anyway since I have no car during the day, and I always use my own pen, then wash my hands as soon as I'm done with the cart, door, etc. Maybe a little paranoid, but I'm not in a mask and gloves!
                    If that makes you out to be paranoid, SG, then I'll consider myself in good company! I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my car almost exclusively for post-grocery cart use. My nephew, who has multiple health challenges, was constantly getting sick. His doc told my s-i-l that grocery carts are some of the germiest surfaces known to mankind! I took that to heart; hence, the Purell, or whatever brand it is, at my beck and call.

I realized during my casting session on Wednesday that I'll need to temporarily change the way I conduct them. Culturally speaking, Hawaii is a very touchy, huggie, kissie location! The majority of people who audition walk into the studio and hug, kiss and/or shake hands. Ditto when they leave the studio. I have a memo on each of my project's web pages, which are mandatory reading before talent receives an appt. time, telling talent to cancel their freaking appointments if they're sick on the audition day. Well, I don't put it that undiplomatically but from now 'til this scare is over I will add undiplomatic language!!! One gal was part way thru her audition, which wasn't going well, when I noticed her sniffing...this after she'd done her huggie/kissie routine with everyone in the studio. After her audition I asked her if she was ok. Nope...she woke up sick that morning! Grrrrrrrrrr! As soon as she left, the director busted out a huge bottle of hand sanitizer and we took a break to try to undo any potential damage! Hands. Arms. Face. I reminded her about the memo on the web page but it appeared she cared more about trying to get the job than she did about anyone's health, including her own. Starting with the next casting session I'll post a sign on the studio door stating NO hugging, kissing or hand shaking. I really don't like doing that because I feel, for the majority of my sessions, banning such practices is culturally inappropriate. So, I'll add that blowing kisses and telling us how much they love us is H1N1 appropriate!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Starting with the next casting session I'll post a sign on the studio door stating NO hugging, kissing or hand shaking. I really don't like doing that because I feel, for the majority of my sessions, banning such practices is culturally inappropriate. So, I'll add that blowing kisses and telling us how much they love us is H1N1 appropriate!
                      An additional option could be to set up a table between you and the actors. You sit behind the table, and they stay on the other side. Sort of like American Idol style.

Add me to the list of those that use hand sanitizer after shopping in market. I do it because of salmonella, etc. (I also always have the raw chicken and meat put in a separate sack than the other groceries, no dripping juices from the raw chicken in my loaf of bread, please!)
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Juss attended a Hakalau Reunion in Las Vegas this week. I noticed no changes in behavior by the 195 attendees in the hospitality room or at the banquet.

One thing, though, I did notice more'n more using the liquid-hand sanitizer station at the entrance to the first floor California Hotel restaurant. Before AND after eating. Smaht people those Hawaiians - you never know what's on the escalator runners, brass railings, door handles, not to mention those damned slots. Remember: gotta use your fingers so you can pick / suck out all the goody bits from the oxtails.

I'm wondering how everyone will behave during my Tree Top high school reunion in a couple of weeks, then my nephew's wedding the following weekend at the Halekulani. My family's never been the huggy-kissy type, so truss me, I will continue that tradition. Through our family's entire history, maybe we were forever being proactive when it comes to ALL past and future health scares. Yeah, that's it.

Everybody: Wash your hands.
                        Last edited by Palama Kid; May 2, 2009, 05:14 AM. Reason: Clarification
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                          An additional option could be to set up a table between you and the actors. You sit behind the table, and they stay on the other side. Sort of like American Idol style.[...]
                          The judge's table set-up you see on AI is standard procedure at all auditions 'cuz there're always several "judges" (clients; director producer, etc.) there! Talent either reach across the table or walk behind it! In addition to the sign on the studio door, I'll probably give individual flyers to each person while they're still in the waiting room. My guess is at least 50% won't read either!

Comment

sensible and effective measures against getting infected

if the word of an HTer who works at a hospital and gets daily updates re swine flu has any credence, here's the best way to keep yourself from getting sick from swine flu or any other cold or flu virus, anyway:

1. wash your hands frequently. this means at least once an hour or more if you are at work or otherwise out and about. if you cannot wash, use alcohol gels (purell and the like). the amount you use should take ten seconds to dry completely.

i've taken to carrying a 2 oz spray bottle of straight up regular rubbing alcohol in my purse. i just add a few drops of grapefruit and eucalyptus essential oil (5 drops each) just to add a tiny bit of scent. what i don't like about alchohol gels is if you use them frequently, you get this tacky feeling on your hand. i prefer actually washing my hands best of all tho. this does make my hands dry so i do use lotion but at least the alcohol on top of lotion won't make my hands tacky.

2. whenever you touch things that other people have touched (doorknobs, office equipment, atm machines, shopping carts, what have you) re-sanitize your hands by doing #1 above.

3. when you cough or sneeze, do not cough/sneeze into your hands then go touching surfaces. this is how you infect other people and keep yourself sick. cough into the crook of your elbow or your sleeve. or use a tissue. whatever you do, always cover your mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing as this will help reduce the number of airborne infectious bits you spread. then, make sure to do #1 above right after.

4. avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth whenever possible, unless you've done #1 above.

5. try to stay at least ten feet away from people who are coughing or sneezing bcs a number of bacteria/viruses can't travel further than that and survive well enough to infect you.

6. the masks that are available to non-healthcare workers are mostly a mental security thing. they do not protect from airborne infections like colds and flu or swine flu (or even TB, if i remember correctly). however, they will reduce the likelihood that someone who is infected already will infect other people (it's the whole covering your mouth thing). only those masks for which you get individually fit tested by a professional will completely seal your orifices enough to protect you (as a non-clinical hospital worker, even i don't have one of those!).

7. get a good amount of sleep every night. when you lack sleep, you severely limit the ability of your immune system to help protect you. when i suffered from insomnia, i constantly got sick. do what you can to make sure you sleep well--this was told to me by three different infection control nurses as well as my physicians.

8. eat healthily and take your vitamins. this also helps your immune system.

9. for god's sake, stay the heck home if you are sick! don't go to the movies or work or to the club or whatever it is. have consideration not only for your own body, but for everyone else in the community.

10. almost forgot--cover any wounds you may have, no matter how small they may be. if you have dry skin that tends to crack, moisturize properly. skin that keeps its integrity is the largest organ your body has as part of its immune system. we all seem to forget that, but it's true.

now, for info specifically about swine flu and how to decide whether you should get tested. a person might have swine flu if and only if, over the last seven days:

A. the person has respiratory illness (cough, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, chills, etc.)

WITH

B. fever higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit

PLUS

C. travel in the last seven days to Mexico or mainland US

OR

D. were in contact with people who have respiratory illness with 100+ degree fever AND were in Mexico or the mainland US.

health officials are watching swine flu closely and say that the next couple of weeks will decide whether this disease peters out or goes to level 6 (we're at level 5). i urge you all to try to avoid travel during this time and do items 1-10 above. by doing so, you really are helping the world community at large in a very tangible way with not spreading the disease.

i'm really hoping it dies down bcs my mom will be flying in from the mainland at the end of the month. also, i really don't want to be called in to work at the hospital due to a statewide emergency. i mean, i'm always happy to help people, but if i have to come in for that kind of things, that means we are very bad off.

hope this helps fellow HTers from going crazy.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Thanks Cynsalglia for a great post! I had a check up with my physiatrist yesterday and he pretty much had your same comments especially regarding the mask. I'm flying out on Monday and have to stop in Dallas of all places on the way to MN then eventually IL. He said that healthy people with strong immune systems are pretty easily not in peril and that if we got a flu it would be easily dealt with. I appreciate your sensibilities and sound comments.

Comment

No one seems to be laughing at Germaphobes now.

Comment

Working...
                                X