Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swine Flu

"Pandemic" does NOT mean deadly. It just means it's widespread.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
      "Pandemic" does NOT mean deadly. It just means it's widespread.
      Exactly...

From what I've read and heard, and based on my challenged interpretive skills, it seems H1N1 symptoms aren't that much worse or different than the standard variety of flu that circulates each year. The major problem, as I understand it, is that it's a new strain and that becomes a challenge to peoples' immune systems...esp. children and young adults because they haven't contracted the number of virus' we ol' futs have. Therefore, the deaths seem to come not so much from H1N1 itself but from some peoples' immune systems going haywire trying to counteract this new bug. Wish I had cites but I can't recall which news and which web sites mentioned this. It was definitely several tho'.

I now wish I'd gone to the doc during my really bad flu 3 years ago and had him test for which strain it was. I doubt it was swine but I love to know in case that particular strain resurfaced.

Comment

i can't remember the source-whether work reading or from elsewhere-the origin of the disease is humans. in other words, we gave them the flu and now they're returning the favor. this was discovered by analyzing disease dna.

for the record, when it's not cold/flu season or the world isn't facing a pandemic, i don't sanitize my hands as often as i do now unless i am going into the hospital units. sure, i wash before/after eating, toileting, buying groceries, etc. but i'm not so germophobic that i don't hug/kiss in greeting or shake hands. i just weigh the risk and act accordingly. if anyone is sick at work, i try not to touch the copier w/o a quick wipedown. everyone's healthy? i don't bother. best for our immune systems to strengthen themselves by beating up on lesser bugs than to be weakened from being sequestered from any cooties completely.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The best way to protect yourself and your family is to go inside your home and close the door until the threat has passed.

The Mexicans have the right idea. So does Hongkong.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            [...]
            for the record, when it's not cold/flu season or the world isn't facing a pandemic, i don't sanitize my hands as often as i do now unless i am going into the hospital units. sure, i wash before/after eating, toileting, buying groceries, etc. but i'm not so germophobic that i don't hug/kiss in greeting or shake hands. i just weigh the risk and act accordingly. if anyone is sick at work, i try not to touch the copier w/o a quick wipedown. everyone's healthy? i don't bother. best for our immune systems to strengthen themselves by beating up on lesser bugs than to be weakened from being sequestered from any cooties completely.
            Ditto for me on all accounts, cyn. I really like the affection shown locally, be it at my casting sessions or anywhere else. I had a casting session the first 2 days of the really rotten flu I had 3 years ago. I was very vocal to all the talent about being sick and staying away from me. They did...no questions asked! We need to keep our immune systems in working order by not living in a sanitized bubble.
            Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            The best way to protect yourself and your family is to go inside your home and close the door until the threat has passed.[...]
            The sky is falling...the sky is falling...

Comment

Went to Kapiolani Hospital this morning to get a routine blood test before I see my doctors this month and I must have seen at least 3 hand sanitizers mounted on walls from the time I entered the building to the lab in the basement.

Comment

The Mexicans have the right idea. So does Hongkong.
                SM, I live in Mexico. No one is locking themselves in their house where in live. Everyone is out and about. I understand they shut some things down in Mexico City for a while, but not where I live. In this metropolitan area of about 100K stretching over 100 miles and about 30 miles wide, I haven't heard of one reported case of the flu. The reported cases of flu in this country of about 120M is less than 2000 and the number of reported cases is going down. The epidemic lasted about three weeks. I'm going to presume this was good work on the part of the Mexican Health agencies.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The best way to protect yourself and your family is to go inside your home and close the door until the threat has passed.
                  Are there any Signs? Even Mel Gibson came out with a hot Russian model?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Went to Kapiolani Hospital this morning to get a routine blood test before I see my doctors this month and I must have seen at least 3 hand sanitizers mounted on walls from the time I entered the building to the lab in the basement.

in case you're wondering, the proliferation of hand gel dispensers at hospitals is not a reaction to the swine flu. all hospitals are must meet standards set by by the joint commission, a national organization that accredits hospitals. one of the standards has to do with infection control and hand-washing/sanitizing. caregivers are to sanitize their hands before and after seeing each patient, which is why if you walk onto a hospital unit, hand gel dispensers are (should be) everywhere. it's also to encourage visitors to sanitize their hands as well.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

San Diego County seems to be reporting 17 confirmed cases, only 2 with direct connection in Mexico, 3 schools closed.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        Thanks Cynsalglia for a great post! I had a check up with my physiatrist yesterday and he pretty much had your same comments especially regarding the mask. I'm flying out on Monday and have to stop in Dallas of all places on the way to MN then eventually IL. He said that healthy people with strong immune systems are pretty easily not in peril and that if we got a flu it would be easily dealt with. I appreciate your sensibilities and sound comments.
                        Just to let you know, the reports that North Dallas schools were being shut down are false. Some website reported that all of the Denton county schools were being closed, but this is completely not true. We seem to be doing fairly okay here (at last count, there were 15 confirmed cases, which may sound like a lot, but there are over 6 million people in the DFW metroplex), so please don't be too worried about having to stop here. I'll wave at you as you go by.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Mahalo Cyn!

In The Honolulu Advertiser dis morning:
                          Flu may not be as lethal as was feared
                          http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ource=nletter-

"Across the country, there have been instances of what some have called overreaction. The entire school district in Fort Worth, Texas, closed after a single case of swine flu. Emergency rooms reportedly have been swamped by people complaining of a cough. Administration officials said healthy people should still go to graduation events, ride public transportation and so on. "Common sense: You don't need to wear a mask," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on "Fox News Sunday."

Ok? OK!!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I wonder what the annual, average number of flu cases is and the annual, average number of flu related deaths. If I had time I'd do some research but, alas, I'm in the midst of fixing brunch for house guests! Plus, I just sneezed 3 times in a row. Maybe I should rush to the ER!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I wonder what the annual, average number of flu cases is and the annual, average number of flu related deaths. If I had time I'd do some research but, alas, I'm in the midst of fixing brunch for house guests! Plus, I just sneezed 3 times in a row. Maybe I should rush to the ER!
                              A trip to the ER? Not a bad idea. If it turns out you actually have the H1 M1 virus, you'll receive prompt medical treatment. If not, then you might hook up with a handsome, strapping paramedic.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                the following doesn't exactly answer your question, but this might give you a general idea, tutusue.

from the hawaii dept of health disease outbreak control division's 2007-2008 influenza season summary (sept 30, 07-may 17, 08):

A total of 1,047 (29.3&#37 of the 3,571 specimens tested by SLD (Hawaii State Laboratories Division) were confirmed influenza positive during the recent flu season; 374 (36%) of these were influenza A(H3), and 334 (32%) were influenza A(H1). Fifteen influenza A (1%) isolates were not sub-typed. There were 324 (31%) influenza B cases.
                                (p. 4)

Two hundred fifty-eight P&I (pneumonia and influenza) (11.2%) related deaths of 2,298 total deaths were recorded in Honolulu during the past flu season; the average P&I mortality during the 2007-2008 influenza season was higher than the season's national average (8.6%) and the 2006-2007 seasonal average (8.8%).
                                (p.2)

regarding flu infections broken down by age groups:

Based on these data, school children and young adults (age group 5-24) seemed most likely to test positive when influenza was suspected (32% of positive influenza cases versus 22% of specimens tested), whereas infants (age group <1 year) were least likely to be positive for influenza and likely to have other etiologies for their respiratory illness (8% of positive influenza cases versus 19% of specimens tested). These trends are similar to observations during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 influenza seasons.
                                (p.4)

Regarding avian flu for the same period:

No cases of avian influenza infection in humans have been identified in the United States, including Hawaii. At the end of the 2007-08 traditional flu season, human cases of avian influenza A(H5N1) have been
                                detected in 15 countries. A total of 385 cases (79 new cases during the 2007-08 season) were confirmed by WHO (World Health Org). Of all patients to date who have become ill with WHO-confirmed avian influenza, 243 (63%) died.
                                (p. 8)

Overall...

...the 2007-08 traditional flu season in Hawaii was mild in intensity.
                                (p.1)

Comment

Working...
                                X