"Caprica" on Syfy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Caprica" on Syfy

Caprica is the prequel series to Battlestar Galactica which will air on the Sci-Fi channel in 2010. However the pilot episode got released to DVD on April 21.

Just finished watching it. The series take place 50 years before Battlestar Galactica. William Adama is a 11 year old boy at the time with a different last name (Adams and the episode explains why).

Another family in the series named the Graystones is using the same house as Baltar's before the bombs get dropped.

Re: "Caprica" on Sci-Fi

Oh! On DVD! I saw a lot of chatter online about it, and thought I'd missed it on the SciFi channel. I see it's also on iTunes for $14.99. I gather that price is for the whole season. The synopsis is pretty detailed in iTunes:
    Set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families -- the Graystones and the Adamas. Bound together by tragedy, their ensuing struggle will determine the fate of the 12 colonies. Caprica is a society rife with advanced technology. Little do they know they are trembling on the brink of the creation of the first cybernetic life-form node, or CYLON. Passion, intrigue, and betrayal set the stage for the coming revolution.

The Graystones and Adamas come from different cultures and wildly different socio-economic backgrounds. Daniel Graystone (Eric Stoltz) is a computer genius and the leading businessman of the 12 Colonies. His wife, Amanda Graystone (Paula Malcomson) is an elite neurosurgeon. Joseph Adama (Esai Morales) is an immigrant, a lawyer with ties to the mob, and a father who is desperate to reconnect with his estranged son, William (Sina Najafi).

Their bitter rivalry will bring the end of life as they know it. Their children are the future.
    Did you like it, Helen?

Comment

Sounds kind of strange to offer the entire series on iTunes when it hasn't been aired yet.

As far as liking or unliking it, I am kind of basised towards the science fiction genre anyway and I will keep an open mind on the rest of the series when it airs.

As far as the pilot episode itself, there were some slow parts to it, no warning on the adult content of the presentation (outside box says it's not rated) which it's at the first 5 minutes of the episode, and some unanswered questions (one of them goes back to Battlestar Galactica series) which hopefully be answered by future episodes.
      Last edited by helen; April 27, 2009, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        As far as liking or unliking it, I am kind of basised towards the science fiction genre anyway and I will keep an open mind on the rest of the series when it airs.
        Does that mean you liked it?

I saw one comment noting that there was considerably more nudity in "Caprica." Their conclusion? "Battlestar Galactica" plus nudity was a very good thing.

Comment

The Syfy channel have been airing promos about Caprica that says it will start on January 22, 2010.

Comment

Are they committed to a full season? Last I heard they were just going to air that one off pilot that is on DVD.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: "Caprica" on Syfy

The 2 hour pilot of Caprica will be aired on the Syfy channel on Friday, January 22 at 7:00 pm (HST) with a repeat airing at 9:00 pm (HST).

Comment

Some minor highlights of tonight's episode
                1. Daniel Graystone playing part of the 1978 Battlestar Galactica theme on the piano.
                2. Sister Willow is part of a family that believes in multiple marriage partners.

Comment

Ok... the series is a new weekly watcher for me. Kind of interesting to see the origins of the Cylons.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

oh brah, this show is like nighttime soap opera with pretty hard core sci fi.

i like this. it is good. scenes alluding to sex without being graphic, cgi but not cgi for the sake of cgi, the technology is well thought out. i don't see flying cars for the sake of flying cars but the simple everyday utility technology and houseware technology is very cool.

----- spoilers ------

i like the cylon chick. the producers have thing for cylon chicks. i guess now we know go goes all the way back.

this is going to get good. i can't wait to see how zoe evolves and become the greatest/most nefarious creative genius the world has ever seen.

Comment

Agreed. I like it. Story holds lots of potential, and the special effects are excellent. The only problem is I could see is it getting too slow at times. Battlestar had long strings of slow episodes, and it's not like Caprica is an action-packed show to begin with. If they can keep the story lively, this could be one of my favorite shows.

Comment

I suspect that the scenes showing the interchange of the first Cylon unit and Zoe might get tiring.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that the school head (Sister Willow?) looks strikingly like the oracle on the cylon mothership (the one in a tub who can be plugged in and unplugged)?

Comment

Tonight's episode is what Syfy called it as the season finale. Sister Willow is targeted by a rival, Daniel wants to reinitialize the Cylon prototype and his wife wants to jump off a bridge.

Comment

And in the end, some of it came to pass.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X