X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Don't you just live on a bigger rock?

Sure ! I live in England. It's only a hop, skip and a jump from Ireland, France, Holland, Spain,,,,,,, as members have found out to their enjoyement. The climate doesn't compete with yours but within a matter of hours we can be in Cyprus, Portugal or Greece.

The whole of Europe is spread out in frornt, ,,, which is why people want to "Escape from that Rock."

Comment

So I leave HT and arrive on the shores of Facebook where I find a few HT'ers have migrated to and have shedded their anonymity.

My neighbor Lisa tells me of this thread on HT and says I should chime in for old times sake.

I am apprehensive at first but decide to check in after almost 5-months. I realize things never change in a world where change is the new buzzword in Washington DC.

Things have to change sooner than later. Unless we come out of the rocks from which we hide behind to throw barbs at one another from, change will never happen and those who continue to make HT a place of hatred will eventually destroy this magnificant forum. It's easy to chastise one another here when you are unknown. But put a face, a name, and your credibility in front like badges of honor and suddenly we are all human once again with dignity as an emphasis on how we talk to each other.

HT can be a wonderful place to talk story...if we only knew who the heck we were talking to.

Okay that's all. If you want to talk to me, find me on Facebook.

Aloha,

Craig Watanabe
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Aloha Craig!

Welcome back.... I'll see on Facebook.

1stwahine aka Auntie Pupule aka Lynn Vasquez - Dela Cerna
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          If you want to talk to me, find me on Facebook.
          Nice of you to stop by, CW. Be well - I'll miss ya. (I just ain't the type to get caught up in Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or whatever the "trend-of-the-year" happens to be. Too busy irl.)

Comment

I jump out from behind barbs and throw rocks!

You have no idea how many of those lil plastic dolls it takes to make a riot shield.

I go by

Cat Maxwell-Hadley

or

C. Maxwell-Hadley

g'head 'n google if yer curious.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              [...]
              HT can be a wonderful place to talk story...if we only knew who the heck we were talking to.

Okay that's all. If you want to talk to me, find me on Facebook. [...]
              The advantage of Facebook over HT is that Facebook has privacy settings that allows a subscriber to control who sees and contacts him/her. It's much easier and safer in that situation to reveal one's true identity. I'm all for HT continuing to allow anonymity because it's wide open to the world. My identity is pretty easy to learn from within HT, but after years on the very public usenet, I don't really care to openly broadcast my name to that world. Just my 2¢...

Comment

But, I get to be a Wizard of Oz behind the curtain. I do need a brain, heart, and courage to be on Facebook.

Comment

I just took the plunge. After the pleasing asthetics of Myspace, Facebook is an ugly place to be. It reminds me of an old AOL chatroom. No backgrounds, no color. Just boxes and lines and people liking things and being fans of stuff and other people sending you "gifts". Ugh. But when all your friends migrate somewhere, you either have to follow or be very, very lonely.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                    I just took the plunge. After the pleasing asthetics of Myspace, Facebook is an ugly place to be. It reminds me of an old AOL chatroom. No backgrounds, no color. Just boxes and lines and people liking things and being fans of stuff and other people sending you "gifts". Ugh. But when all your friends migrate somewhere, you either have to follow or be very, very lonely.
                    I never got into MySpace or chatrooms but I agree with you about the gifts, likes, fans, etc. on Facebook! Oh...and the pokes and superpokes...and most of those quizes!!! I just don't get it! But, I don't have to. There's something there for everyone and not everyone will like everything!

OTOH...I'm now in touch with long, lost relatives, childhood friends, classmates, their kids and grandkids. I've seen photos I'd never have had the chance to see otherwise. My one year old 3rd cousin looks just like his grandpa, my cousin, at the same age. I think he's my 3rd cousin...or my first cousin twice removed?!!!! I can't get enough of these updates...a thrill for me.

From a tutu's point of view, I'm happy I don't have the option to make my page flashy. That'd be just one more thing to attempt to learn. But I do understand why the younger generations like to do that.

Comment

Now that I think about it, it is easier to look at somebody's page without having to read through a background. I guess after having had a MySpace page for the last two years, it's strange to switch to a completely different setup. I think once I get used to it, I'll be better. But you're right- ignore the extraneous stuff and just look at the good. I'm still learning.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I'm all for HT continuing to allow anonymity because it's wide open to the world. My identity is pretty easy to learn from within HT, but after years on the very public usenet, I don't really care to openly broadcast my name to that world. Just my 2¢...
                        I share that sentiment. I consider myself quite private; I just realized that I never even posted an intro! I'd likely share more if there were a members only sub-forum.

Comment

I used to love Myspace over FB because I liked having a pretty page but now I heavily prefer FB. My family remains at Myspace so I still gotta go check in there because I love the photo updates. It's just that I have so much more fun, when I have the time, on FB. I have grown to looove the simplicity of it.
                          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei K View Post
                            I used to love Myspace over FB because I liked having a pretty page but now I heavily prefer FB. My family remains at Myspace so I still gotta go check in there because I love the photo updates. It's just that I have so much more fun, when I have the time, on FB. I have grown to looove the simplicity of it.
                            I like to play on the farm in FB but I just can't
                            take the music they play.
                            Last edited by Barry; May 30, 2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I enjoy both HT and Facebook for completely opposite reasons. On HT, newbies from around the world subscribe. We get to meet people we wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to meet, and several of those irl. On FB, we control who we meet. My personal rule is to not accept a friend request from anyone I don't recognize. If any HTers have sent a friend request without a personal note as to who you are on HT, I apologize for not responding but your real name doesn't ring a bell!

Vanguard, FB is kinda like a members only sub-forum. There are several, active HTers there.

Comment

I have been busy with work and keeping up my blog are big reasons why I haven't been posting here much. On top of that, a lot of the good posters have stopped posting here over the years. Thus my interest has waned

I've also taken the plunge and signed up for Facebook.
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X