Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 245

Thread: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Seriously!!! What's going on around this forum lately? It seems like most of the nice folks are consistantly being run off or badgered into a lurkers' existence because of a handful of mean, bitter s.o.b.'s who nitpick and naysay, criticize and attack, and generally bring their negativity and aggression/intimidation to so many threads. This site is way less interesting because of these 'children'.

    Enough, I say!! Nice people unite!! Don't be scared off! Come back!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

  2. #2

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    It happens from time to time, TG. You get some nasty back-and-forth between folks that spills from thread to thread (and I'm guilty of it as well), but either it cools down after a time, or after people decide the "ignore" function can help them relax, or if a troll (no names stated or implied here) decides to move on, or if admin has to step in and take action.

    Some of the folks to which you refer have left altogether, others lurk - just as you noted. Just keep posting in your own way, and if folks find something meaningful to add, they probably will. But it's nice of you to encourage them to return! (The old-time HT-ers would say that you earned a green chiclet.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    most of the nice people on this planet are not online
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    See, TG? It worked! You got Mike.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Just when you think all is going well, a mean-spirited thread like this one goes up!
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    missing the 808 in the 202
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    meh, its just the web...
    flickr

    An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    From: God
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

    knock it off, all of you

    seriously, what the hell


    --
    God

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    O'ahu
    Posts
    1,309

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Heya TG! Sorry for "bailing" on you folks.

    If I would hazard a guess, I'd say Twitter is one reason why some people are disappearing from HT. I wasn't scared away from HT, but rather Twitter was more attractive (addictive).

    People on Twitter tend to be nicer because you choose who you socialize with. You listen only to the people you want to listen to. You can block specific people from reading your Tweets. I think HT has an ignore feature, which is easy enough to use, except it's off by default; while its virtual counterpart on Twitter is on by default. Small little details like that can make a big difference. I'm not saying HT should have ignores on by default (it'd be a bad idea), but perhaps people should ignore more often.

    Another reason why people are nicer on Twitter is they end up meeting each other face to face, sooner or later (facilitating spontaneous meetups is one of Twitter's strengths). It's amazing how civil people are when there's the possibility of getting punched in the face. Not to mention the fear of your personal reputation being tarnished.

    And finally, the 140 character limit helps supress flaming. I mean flaming is alive and well on Twitter, but the less you say, the less there is for people to flame you about. You could have an excellently written 3 page post on something, but the forums trolls will be all over your one poorly worded sentence. And forum trolls LOVE to hear their own voice. A 140 character limit takes the fun out of it.

    I'm not saying Twitter is better than HT. Forums are still the best place to have an in depth discussion about something. It's just Twitter is more addictive and fun, at least at the moment. Before Twitter, I would read/post to threads which were just mildly interesting, just to have something to do. Now I lurk mostly, and post only on threads which catch my eye.

    Of course I can't speak for everyone who's become less active on HT.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    missing the 808 in the 202
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    MJ, feel free to add me to your twitter if you like!
    flickr

    An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    From: God
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

    knock it off, all of you

    seriously, what the hell


    --
    God

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    O'ahu
    Posts
    1,309

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    I assume you're "tattrat" on Twitter? I'm MyopicJoe :_)
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    missing the 808 in the 202
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    you have assumed correctly!
    flickr

    An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    From: God
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

    knock it off, all of you

    seriously, what the hell


    --
    God

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    596

    Red face Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    It happens from time to time, TG. You get some nasty back-and-forth between folks that spills from thread to thread (and I'm guilty of it as well), but either it cools down after a time, or after people decide the "ignore" function can help them relax, or if a troll (no names stated or implied here) decides to move on, or if admin has to step in and take action.
    I've recently given some free, round-trip (for now) tickets from HT to beautiful Timeoutsville, Tenn., and won't hesitate to issue more fabulous HT vacations if it comes to that. I agree these rashes of ill temper come 'round every so often, but they -- like most rashes -- eventually pass.

    As with most of these threads, I'd rather folks talk about what they want to talk about, instead of talking about the site (and what we should be talking about). So the floor is yours... have at it. Let's get back to some top-notch talkstory.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    1,285

    Default oh, no, please don't close my 'nice' thread!

    ....that's not fair! You CLOSED it! It was only up for a few hours! Why would anyone close a thread that's an invitation to all the nice people? For anyone interested, I'm talking about this - Where'd all the Nice People Go. Perhaps someone has been a little hasty with the thread closures? Am I being closed just because I was posting about the HT site? Anyways, please don't censor the nice people.

    No! Dont be mean! We all put up with a certain amount of meanness and annoyance in our day to day lives - so why on earth would anyone dish this $h!t out online once they're cozy at home at their computers? Do they kick their dogs too!? Just sorta kidding, but I'm not the only person who feels this way, i'm sure. But I didn't get a chance to find out...I was closed.

    Nice people, rally! Come back!!
    Last edited by turtlegirl; April 27th, 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: i can't thyipee
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    596

    Exclamation Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    You're not being censored. After all, this thread is still here, and I think both your point and mine have been clearly made and will be archived in perpetuity. But as I've said, there's no need to set aside a thread just to cheer or complain about how nice or how mean HawaiiThreads is. (We've been there before.) If the usefulness of HawaiiThreads is important to you, I encourage you to help make things better by participating in threads about the topics you're interested in. Want better conversations? Start one!

    Discussing the site itself is a circular exercise at best. If you want to provide feedback on the way HawaiiThreads is run, the best way is to contact me or any moderator directly.

    Nonetheless, if anyone has thoughts on "nice people," I'll reopen this thread for now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Want better conversations? Start one!
    Start one? Yeah. Its always just a matter of time before its overrun by snarkiness and attacks, at least it seems so lately. Come back, nice people!! Don't just read...post!

    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    hmmm, I wonder why this subject has been visited before.....
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    It's perfectly normal for people to come and go from forums like this. Some move away from Hawaii, some find interests other than the internet or other interests on the internet (as in the Twitter comment earlier), some just get bored, some find other hobbies or get involved in sports, some have increased duties at work... there's a large number of reasons some people may not be around, and most of those reasons have nothing to do with snarkiness or attacks.
    In my own case, I'd like to think that I'm one of the "nice people" (at least my cat thinks so ) but I'm currently taking some courses to get an advanced degree, so my time here has been limited.
    I used to be moderator of some forums similar to this, and I created a section called The Sandbox. I'd move any snarky and attacking posts to The Sandbox, and the combatants could duke it out there, where no one else would have to read them.
    In any event, there's a very low number of snarks and attacks here on HT, especially compared to snarks/attacks/flame wars that used to happen in other places on the internet.
    If there's folks here whose posts bother you, just use the Ignore function. Easy.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    The snark attacks here are really REALLY mild. In fact they're just baby snarks.

    Kinda cute sometimes, just watch your fingers.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    The snark attacks here are really REALLY mild. In fact they're just baby snarks.[...]
    Yep...for the most part, snarkettes! Nuthin' in comparison to...oh, never mind. I've seen snarkoramarellathons in panavision and technicolor!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Yep...for the most part, snarkettes! Nuthin' in comparison to...oh, never mind. I've seen snarkoramarellathons in panavision and technicolor!
    You've been to alt.slack? Church of the Subgenius (all hail Bob!)?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Just when you think all is going well, a mean-spirited thread like this one goes up!
    Ya made me laugh with that comment, darn ya!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    You've been to alt.slack? Church of the Subgenius (all hail Bob!)?
    Not alt.slack but a few other alt's!!!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    I'd like to think that I'm one of the "nice people" (at least my cat thinks so ) but I'm currently taking some courses to get an advanced degree
    An advanced degree in "nice"? Cool. Online or in person?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Former resident of Ewa Beach
    Posts
    937

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    I quit posting so much because it seems like no one ever responds to what I post- like I stop a thread dead in its tracks. So I figure I must not be very interesting or there are secret threads I don't know about. Or everyone is just laughing at me to everyone else. That's always been a secret fear of mine.

    Also- I'm not doing anything spectactularly entertaining at the moment. But I can start a thread on it, so we can get out of the iffy thread...

    Can't think of anything creative this time


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Hi Yer Hun,
    Please be cool there are lots of Really nice people on here from all parts of our world. Different shapes, sizes, races and colour of skin. Lots of opinions ( to me that is what a forum is about )
    Hang on in here,,,,, Please ? If I haven't responded to you, then maybe I haven't anything interesting to say.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,240

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    I quit posting so much because it seems like no one ever responds to what I post- like I stop a thread dead in its tracks.
    Speaking as someone who has generated over 50 threads in this forum with no responses I don't see 0 response threads as a bad thing. Please keep in mind that the index listings has a thread read count. Look at that entry to see if anyone is reading the thread.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

    SurlyGirly, I used to feel the same way about my Boating Photos thread not getting many responses. Until someone pointed out how many views the thread had, that is. Point is that just because folks don't reply doesn't mean they don't enjoy it.
    I belong to another group and there's one person who replies to every single message even though their replies almost never contain anything worth reading. That's much worse! Now I don't read anything that person writes.
    But back to snarkism.
    For those interested in snarks, check out Super Snarks at http://www.castlecraft.com/super_snark.htm . (Yeah, they're sailboats.)
    The was also a 1917 Navy ship named Snark ( http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...sh-s/snark.htm ).
    And remember that Snark was the name of Jack London's sailboat ( http://www.jacklondons.net/snark.html ) and that his boat was named Snark because of Lewis Caroll's poem "The Hunting of the Snark." (Yes, the same man who wrote Alice In Wonderland.) His Snark poem "describes with infinite humor the impossible voyage of an improbable crew to find an inconceivable creature".
    And that last sentence pretty much sounds like the purpose of HT.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •