Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Oh, dear. I guess I've been fooling myself. I wanted to be in the "nice" category, but my behavior at times has certainly placed me in the "not" camp. Is that permanent? Well, at least it seems to be popular to be over here...
    Leo, we can't all be nice all the time. Don't be shocked, but even I slip into the not nice column once in a while. Of course, it's usually when I've been provoked. But most of the time, it's just easier to be nice. I don't need all the stress & tension that goes along with the other side.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      Of course, it's usually when I've been provoked.
      isn't that the problem tho? we're all guilty of reacting as if we had been provoked even if we hadn't. oftentimes, the falsely accused provocateur reacts in kind to a defensive/offensive post, and then the rest of us find ourselves watching a verbal boxing match.

on the other hand, i've seen lots of times when someone was accused of provoking someone else and protested innocence when, given the posting history, the provocateur has all but practically cornered the market on lying out of his alimentary canal.

in some ways, it would be ideal if the iagos of a discussion board would be labeled with a scarlet avatar, but i would say HT runs okay without a reputation system. if it had one, i'm not sure HT would be much different, so it's fine that it stays at the current default.

sidenote: reading thru some of the chiclet discussion again made me realize that turtlegirl might have been inaccurate about the nice people having left. maybe what TG was lamenting is more correctly described as the end of a lull in more "spirited" discussions. *shrug*
      Last edited by cynsaligia; July 12, 2009, 05:10 PM.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I liked the Chicklet system
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

egad. this is where i say mea culpa. note to ryan: when i linked to the chiclet thread, i wasn't intending to open a discussion about it. (if i don't say that right off, i'm sure certain crybabies would go shooting off a PM in admin's direction.)

so let me clarify. in real life, even when you're looking people in their eyes as you talk with them, there are misunderstandings that cause conflict. thankfully, many times a conflict caused by misunderstanding is cleared up by the parties being honest and everyone walks away in accord.

also in real life, there are people who lie to your face when you call them on their crap, which adds an unnecessary but unfortunately common layer of more crap to the original crapset. real life would be easier if crapshedders were honest crapshedders who would admit their crapshedding status (as shakespeare's iago does to the viewing audience) but unfortunately, crapshedders lie, as crapshedders are wont to do.

HT mirrors real life with its lack of a chiclet system bcs the people don't walk around, readily labeled for their virtues or sins as hester prynne was. and in the end, people are people. we're sometimes paragons of virtue and patience. other times, we're nothing but bile and phlegm. at other times, we're bags o'joy. twould be great to go to a discussion board and have it be pleasant all the time. unfortunately, if you want to see a myriad of points of views on whatever subjects, it's just not going to be pleasant all the time bcs people feel vehemently about certain things. add to the mix that there are crapshedders dressed in lavender scented wool. *shrug*

asking for HT to be pleasant all the time is like me asking that posters be honest about their motives and reactions, all the time.

(and TG, i'm not trying to diss your initial post, which was sweet in its plaintiveness. i'm just saying it's a lot more idealistic than i would dare to be in my mumble age.)
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

wow...I still like the chicklets

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              wow...I still like the chicklets
              you're incorrigible!

*hands you a basket of multicolored chiclets accompanied by several chirping and softly feathered chicklets*

Comment

I don't think CW's a man in favor of "gum control."

Comment

you know, the reason people don't get these quips of yours is not bcs they go over heads, but wallow slitheringly beneath.

following your lead into what sam johnson would call most base humor, i've done this for the quipper.

Comment

We can agree to disagree then.
                    It is what it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      ...i've done this for the quipper.
                      Hee-hee! I knew I could count on you to win one for the quipper.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                        you're incorrigible!

*hands you a basket of multicolored chiclets accompanied by several chirping and softly feathered chicklets*
                        Hmmmm....(looks up 'incorrigible')...I've been told I can bend with the wind But I still like chicklets

Comment

wait, wait - I wanna know who Walkoff Balk is "agreeing to disagree with". I think I must have missed that exchange
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

wait, wait - I wanna know who Walkoff Balk is "agreeing to disagree with". I think I must have missed that exchange
                            That's what nice people say to end arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              We can agree to disagree then.
                              It is what it is then.
                              Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              That's what nice people say to end arguments.
                              I disagree that we were having any argument! (See Monty Python, "Argument Clinic" for further detail.) But yet, I want to be nice to Walkoff Balk, whose humor I have grown to appreciate (after previously failing to do so. )

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                I disagree that we were having any argument! (See Monty Python, "Argument Clinic" for further detail.) But yet, I want to be nice to Walkoff Balk, whose humor I have grown to appreciate (after previously failing to do so. )
                                I can agree to that. That's what opinionated people say to end an arguement.

Comment

Working...
                                X