X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Did All The Nice People Go? Home.

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    yep, dat wat heem sed.

course, i do believe ole marky mark would have advocated for dying when you are no longer useful to society. if that's correct, does that make him more klingon, vulcan or romulan? and which of these is "nicest?"
    If you didn't direct me, I never woulda known. Thanks.

I did it for the "lazy wankers" you mentioned (I'm one, too, but curious...).

Definitely Vulcan. Nice, but arrogant.

Klingons would do it for "glory." Romulans would do it just so their enemies couldn't.

Humans? Hah! Those wimpish, timid apes? Never!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Oh, and in case anyone believes otherwise, anapuni808 is nice. I know this to be true. So do many others. End of debate
      I know this to be TRUE TOO!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

[quote=Barry;231717]The negative members who just want to argue, like in a kiddies playground,,,,,, them I've put on ignore/blocked.[quote]
        Me too. But I'll just bet that they're blaming it all on us behind our backs now they know we can't see them any more. Shifting blame, it's called in sociological circles.
        "It's not my fault! They misled me, tricked me, baited me!"

SO NICE not to have to listen to the drivel.

I have come to realize that it is just as bad to take offense as it is to give offense.

I acknowledge my gullibility in the kiddies argument pool. I was stupid, now I'm smarter. I blame no one, for we are all victims of our ignorance or arrogance.
        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          I have come to realize that it is just as bad to take offense as it is to give offense.
          I like that! Thats a a good one. Very good for this day and age when everybody is offended by every little thing.
          "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
          Ayn Rand

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30647775/

Acting nice doesn't give you more air time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Oh, and in case anyone believes otherwise, anapuni808 is nice. I know this to be true. So do many others. End of debate.
              I don't personally know Anapuni, but I believe you.

Actually, I think 99.99% of people here are nice folks,.... if you have the chance to meet them in person.

What you and Lynn say brings to mind an important point. People who are nice in everyday life can have strong opinions. The characteristics are not mutually exclusive. Hopefully, we are all (or try to be) diplomatic when stating such opinions. But inevitably, we sometimes fail and this causes huhu and misunderstandings.

On the other side of the equation are people who take disagreements personally. And this equally contributes to problems and flame wars. Sometimes, it only happens on specific topics to certain people. For example, "Aloha Jane" may handle disagreements well on everything ranging from politics to sports. But on the subject of collecting seashells, where she has a real passion, has an encyclopedic knowledge, and works in the industry, whoa!!! Watch out if you express an opinion that goes contrary to her's. (BTW, Aloha Jane is just a fictional poster concocted as an example, in case anyone here starts criticizing me again for picking on an HTer. ) I think some of us consider certain topics as "our kuleana" on this forum and are use to having the last word on the subject. And then, when somebody says something that goes contrary to our opinion, we take it personally.

I bring this up, not to make anyone feel bad. (Heck, I'm not excluding myself from being guilty of this from time to time.) But I only bring it up to promote self-awareness. If we recognize and catch this tendency within ourselves on certain subjects, then maybe we won't take things as personally and be easily offended when dealing with others who offers a different POV.

Just my opinion.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                maybe we won't take things as personally and be easily offended when dealing with others who offers a different POV.
                Just my opinion.
                It's hard not to take racist slur personally.

Comment

in one's personal life and face to face, yes I agree: it's hard not to take slurs personally. and want to react.

On this forum however, I don't think I've ever seen a direct attack on someone using racial slurs. There have been comments about different races made in general that are sometimes hard to take. But, being that HT is an internet forum, and not "real" life, I can just (figuratively) walk away. I don't have to respond.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
                    It's hard not to take racist slur personally.
                    It's perfectly understandable to be offended by a racist slur, when it is, in fact, uttered. But that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about someone merely offering a different opinion and POV on a matter that differs from ours.

Making derogatory comments about race, religion, nationality, or other matters re: personal background,...... that's quite another matter entirely from what I was talking about.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      in one's personal life and face to face, yes I agree: it's hard not to take slurs personally. and want to react.

On this forum however, I don't think I've ever seen a direct attack on someone using racial slurs. There have been comments about different races made in general that are sometimes hard to take. But, being that HT is an internet forum, and not "real" life, I can just (figuratively) walk away. I don't have to respond.
                      That's smart. When you are being obviously attacked for no obvious reason it's hard not to react, but you have to abstain, for three good reasons:
                      1) It won't serve you or anyone else.
                      2) The attacker wants you to react; don't give them the satisfaction.
                      3) Reacting only encourages that kind of behaviour.

~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        That's smart. When you are being obviously attacked for no obvious reason it's hard not to react, but you have to abstain, for three good reasons:
                        1) It won't serve you or anyone else.
                        2) The attacker wants you to react; don't give them the satisfaction.
                        3) Reacting only encourages that kind of behaviour.

I'd like to add one more, Kaonohi!
                        4) Often, reacting can cause the reactor to lower him/herself to the level of the accuser.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          4) Often, reacting can cause the reactor to lower him/herself to the level of the accuser.
                          Which is generally the point of the attack, Sue. When it is clear that they can not rise to your level, their only option is to take you down to theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            On the other side of the equation are people who take disagreements personally.
                            Agreed. It's unfortunate that some posters are trapped in such a tar-pit of victimhood that they see any discussion of viewpoints other than theirs as a personal attack.

Comment

And since it's not real life, it's very easy and also very temping to hit the "Post Reply" button and type something because you don't have to deal with the face-to-face fall out of your actions. You can just walk away from HT. A lot of people say things on a forum that they would never say to others in real life. Kind of like how people are all kinds of rude in traffic, but would never dream of cutting in line at the grocery store. (At least not if they wanted to avoid getting smacked in the butt with my cart)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                I'd like to add one more, Kaonohi!

Superb advice and should be taken by all.

Comment

Working...
                                X