Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I enjoy both HT and Facebook for completely opposite reasons. On HT, newbies from around the world subscribe. We get to meet people we wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to meet, and several of those irl. On FB, we control who we meet. My personal rule is to not accept a friend request from anyone I don't recognize. If any HTers have sent a friend request without a personal note as to who you are on HT, I apologize for not responding but your real name doesn't ring a bell!.
    I feel exactly the same way. I only accept requests from people I know...and even then, only people that I like! My 10 year HS reunion is this year, so everyone is waxing nostalgic about their glory days and I've been getting requests from the most random people. I'm like, "Uh...we weren't friends! You hated me b/c BR asked me to Homecoming Freshman year, then you spread a bunch of unsavory rumors. And now you want to see my pictures? Not so much!!"

But here, it's nice to be anonymous and meet all kinds of people and talk story. You guys guided me through my move to and time in Hawaii...that never would have happened on FB.
    Last edited by surlygirly; May 30, 2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: Pronouns are our friends

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      On top of that, a lot of the good posters have stopped posting here over the years.
      I must have joined late. Who are some of those posters? The only good posters I can think of who have stopped posting are Craig Watanabe and Random.
      Last edited by helen; May 30, 2009, 12:54 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tag

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        I must have joined late. Who are some of those posters? The only good posters I can think of who have stopped posting are Craig Watanabe and Random.
        TimKona,
        MadAzza,
        Miulang,
        Manoasurfer123
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Random's still posting...
          Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          TimKona,
          [...]
          ...as is TimKona.

Another one I miss is Tikiyaki.

Comment

Vanguard, FB is kinda like a members only sub-forum. There are several, active HTers there.
            Aye, I've seen the group. The memberlist is public; too exposed for my taste. I may reconsider if I reactivate FB or when I'm less neurotic!

Comment

Vanguard you can allow people onto your list who you trust. Ignore the others until you get to know their posts. FB can be lively and a lot of HT'ers have gone over to it.
              Good to have a choice ?

Can just say about Nice People ? There are so many still on HT.

Comment

turtlegirl, I'm glad you convinced Ryan to keep this thread open.
                It has been eye-opening, enlightening and has served to get me to know about people I otherwise would have missed.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  (I just ain't the type to get caught up in Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or whatever the "trend-of-the-year" happens to be. Too busy irl.)
                  Just to be clear - this wasn't meant as a slam against any of you who use these services. They are all just tools, and in many cases, they fit your lifestyle and serve great functions for you - and that's sweet.

I just get tired of people proselytizing me about signing up for all the hot new things, many of which just wouldn't fit with who I am, and when many of them fade away after a year or two.

Comment

Just to be clear - this wasn't meant as a slam against any of you who use these services. They are all just tools, and in many cases, they fit your lifestyle and serve great functions for you - and that's sweet.
                    Speaking for myself only, I didn't take it as a slam at all, Leo. I'm not sure, tho', if "sweet" is the most appropriate adjective!
                    I just get tired of people proselytizing me about signing up for all the hot new things, many of which just wouldn't fit with who I am, and when many of them fade away after a year or two.
                    The proselytizing got to me, too. I honestly am not interested in social networking sites as I'm busy enough in email and HT! Then, lo and behold, last January a good friend posted the pictures of his newborn on Facebook. That was the only way I could see this baby I'd waited 9 months to see. So, I acquiesced, signed up, viewed the photos and by the time I was finished doing that I had 5 friend requests! I didn't even know what the heck that was!!! One thing led to another which led to finding 2 classmates I'd wondered about for 47 years. Outta the blue, a cousin's 3 kids found me, as mentioned previously. Well, you get the picture! Finding and staying in touch with these folks is what made me a convert!!! That said, one social networking site is more than enough for me. I honestly don't understand where people find enough time in the day to participate in more than one. Maybe I'm just a poor time manager.

Anyway, you made me curious about the longevity of the 3 sites you mentioned. Here's what I found:
                    MySpace was launched in 2003
                    Facebook's public launch was in 2006
                    Twitter was created in 2006.

Comment

I use MySpace, Facebook and Twitter.

From the 3 I like Twitter the best because it is the simplest to use and manage... though the friends requests can sometimes get out of hand, especially when a lot of them are spammers or firms just wanting to push their news to you.... Facebook allows your Twitter posts to automatically be posted to Facebook, so with that you can hit 2 things at the same time.

As for Facebook I was on it since I think 2006 but never got active with it until last year when the Stop Rail Now thing took off. The thing I like about Facebook is that I have found several conservative friends and groups that I know about there, as well as my niece, a few relatives and a couple of friends from my school days of years gone by. It seems like Facebook skews better with the older crowd than MySpace... though there are a ton of young people there too.

MySpace I was on the longest but it is the worst of the social networks in so far as interface goes... however it is one of the better ones to find out about new music and new music artists as well as current ones. The interface again is horrible and many people customize their pages so much that they take forever to load with flash applications and whatever. Needless to say, while I still have a presence there, I don't visit or update my page there very often.

BTW I don't care if people like these services or not. I don't own them, but since they are free, I'll use them. The day they start charging us for using them is the day I and many others will abandon them like rats jumping off the Titanic.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

http://comics.com/cow&boy/2009-05-31/

Comment

Anyway, you made me curious about the longevity of the 3 sites you mentioned. Here's what I found:
                          MySpace was launched in 2003
                          Facebook's public launch was in 2006
                          Twitter was created in 2006.
                          Perhaps as examples I should have cited Friendster, SixDegrees and Jaiku.

Comment

Perhaps as examples I should have cited Friendster, SixDegrees and Jaiku.
                            we should also keep in mind that certain social networks are more popular than others in different regions of the world. when i visited family in the philippines, not one of my cousins had a myspace or facebook page. however, they are all on friendster.

as i said earlier, i don't twitter nor do i facebook. i do have a myspace page but i started that before my career in healthcare (and also while i was single). if i didn't have a myspace page now, i wouldn't start one, mostly because of my desire for online privacy and also because it's part of newscorp.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...sered_72y.html

I think the nice people might have gone here.

Comment

Those two people might have been nice for all of their lives. But, they will be known for having road rage that's documented when being caught on tape. It's like being on this board and being nice with all of your posts, until you disagree with another poster, Then, you get all habut, and do back and forth posting beefs.

Comment

Working...
                                X