Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut

So I was in Connecticut this past week. My parents have a house there that faces some wetlands. This morning, my mom yelled at me to come out to their patio. I ran out and saw a turkey sauntering by. Thought that was pretty cool.

The houses are very different from the houses in Texas. No brick! It's so weird how the houses vary from region to region, isn't it?

(There, TG! There's a nice-person thread. Oh, and we saw two turtles under their deck, and I thought about you.)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Connecticut

I used to live in New London (fifty years ago!), right on the river. Toured one of the early nuclear-powered subs before it launched, too.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Lucky we live Hawaii!

You see very little sauntering these day's, let alone by a turkey...
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

im going to take a guess and say it probably is possible to find a brick house in conn. Almost certain when I think of New England, colonial and brick somehow come to mind.
        n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
          im going to take a guess and say it probably is possible to find a brick house in conn. Almost certain when I think of New England, colonial and brick somehow come to mind.
          New London & Groton are full of 'em.

Of all the times I was visiting or living in that area (up to several months at a stretch) it seemed that I only got sent there during winter. Don't miss Connecticut a bit.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
            It's so weird how the houses vary from region to region, isn't it?
            There's a lot of Victorian painted lady type houses around here, but the house style that fascinates me are the stilt beach houses in North Carolina:

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/cede_nobx/432

Comment

Garrison Keillor does a great "news from lake wobegone" about wild turkeys that I love, I will see if I can find a link.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

My mom called me today and said three more wild turkeys pranced out of the wetlands and across their yard. I guess a turkey is just a funny animal to think of having wandering across your yard.

And I know there are brick houses somewhere up there...I just didn't see any. All of the were Craftsman or Victorians. Down here, EVERY house is brick.

Comment

turkeys; sauntering and prancing.... the second stirs up quite a visual impressiom. theturkeys in capt cook kinda meander and strut.
                  (nice post?)
                  the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Down here, EVERY house is brick.
                    SG, not to dispute you but not every house in the Dallas area is totally brick. The housing codes from before in areas, the construction had to be x-amount brick and x-amount wood. Think it was because of the environmental factors (weather, pest, etc). That's why you see the combination but I've lived in two houses in the Dallas metro area (in the last 26 yrs) that were totally wood construction. Which reminds me, I might have to be out there soon for a family visit...not too crazy about it and trying to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
                      SG, not to dispute you but not every house in the Dallas area is totally brick.
                      Yeah, I know- I have a tendency for the hyperbole. The older areas of Dallas especially have some particularly beautiful wooden houses. But lately, all the builders in the North Dallas area have been popping out what looks like the EXACT SAME NEIGHBORHOOD. I think they sprinkle seeds, water, and it grows all by itself. Move a little to the west and repeat. So let me rephrase:

The front and sides of EVERY house in my subdivision and all of the surrounding subdivisions in my area (with the exception of Savannah and Providence), and most of the ones in the other areas within a 30 minute radius, if they have been built within the last five to ten years (and 90% or more of them have) are brick. The backs of them are mostly (to my knowledge) vinyl siding, although some may be aluminum, but I doubt most Frisco or West Plano residents would put aluminum on their houses. It was just nice to see something other than the ubitquitous brick house (with the vinyl back) cupcakeville neighborhoods that I'm surrounded by.

Aside from some ugly storms this week, it's been pretty nice weather, so hopefully if you have to come, you'll beat the heat!

escondido100
                      turkeys; sauntering and prancing.... the second stirs up quite a visual impressiom. theturkeys in capt cook kinda meander and strut.
                      I had an English teacher who had a poster in her classroom with the sentence "The elephant walked into the woods" on it. Underneath were about 20 different synonyms, including pranced, sauntered, meandered, strutted, strolled, crept, barged, etc. She told us there were so many descriptive words to choose from in our language that we should never settle for something ordinary. I've never forgotten that. And I would LOVE to see your meandering, strutting turkeys.

Comment

It was just nice to see something other than the ubitquitous brick house (with the vinyl back) cupcakeville neighborhoods that I'm surrounded by.

Aside from some ugly storms this week, it's been pretty nice weather, so hopefully if you have to come, you'll beat the heat!.
                        *Haha* Yeah, the brick/wood houses do get tiresome! DH is waiting until the rains cross country clears up to ride his bike out here. Heat I know here...out there in Big D, he/we'll probably be at Keller's on NW for a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                        X