Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepsi Throwback

Red face Pepsi Throwback

My friends frequently rave about "Mexican Coke," or Coca Cola from Mexico made with real cane sugar. People on the Mainland regularly traffic the stuff, flocking to corner stores in random neighborhoods that import it (unofficially).

There are also kosher versions of both Coca Cola and Pepsi that seasonally come out to offer real sugar sweetening.

Now it looks like Pepsi is moving to capitalize on this niche demand on a slightly more ambitious scale. We just saw an ad for it on TV: Pepsi Throwback (and Mountain Dew Throwback) is here, made with real sugar, with limited distribution and for a limited time.

I don't expect we'd be fortunate enough to be included out here in Hawaii. But if anyone spots this stuff in the wild, let us know!

Default Re: Pepsi Throwback

I just saw it today at Walmart in Phoenix. Pepsi Throwback.

i'm going back tomorrow to get some. I'm trying to reduce my sugars, but since it's natural cane sugar it's a bit better.

i didn't know there is Mountain Dew TB, but i'll def check that one out. i'll keeo you posted!

for those of us "of age" in 1985 ish, wasn't this the 'original' formula before they changed to the new Coke in 1985? I am not 100% certain this is the case, but was wondering if anybody knows? was it then that they switched to corn syrup sweetener?

EDIT: just realized you are talking about Pepsi and not Coke. But it still is in a similar vein..

Makes sense as there IS a trend towards not wanting to use the corn syrup sweeteners and a return to a more 'natural' cane sugar.
    n'importe

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    My friends frequently rave about "Mexican Coke," or Coca Cola from Mexico made with real cane sugar.
    PZ, add the matapule as another one of your friends who raves about Mexican colas. Yes, made with cane sugar. The best. I think I'll pull one out of the fridge right now.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Oh, oh, right. Throwback, not washback.

Sorry, got confused.

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    PZ, add the matapule as another one of your friends who raves about Mexican colas. Yes, made with cane sugar. The best. I think I'll pull one out of the fridge right now.
    +2 for Mexican cokes.

I remember when Dr Pepper came out with their old 10-2-4 classic pepper with cane sugar. I think you can still find it some places, but on that one I actually preffered the new DP.

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I think I'll pull one out of the fridge right now.
    Mmmmmmmm, yummy.....i bet its in a glass bottle, too!

Don't forget to take that bottle back for your depositos!!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Quote Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post
    I remember when Dr Pepper came out with their old 10-2-4 classic pepper with cane sugar. I think you can still find it some places, but on that one I actually preffered the new DP.
    You need to get some Dublin Dr. Pepper. There's a burger joint here in Seattle that serves it.

I got some...

This new Pepsi defintely taste better than the regular. Haven't tried the Dew yet, saving that for tomorrow.

I agree about the new DP being better. The cane sugar was too sugary-sweet. But then again, I don't like regular cokes anyway. Only diet ones. Non-diet cokes make my teeth feel all furry.

Speaking of Pepsi Throwbacks, anyone remember Crystal Pepsi? I totally dug it when I was a kid.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Bought some from 7-11. Stuff tastes so smooth. I like it. My mom said it tasted like diet soda...

They didn't have the mitten dew. That's the one I wanted to try more

I'm more excited than I should be about this Pepsi news! I'm going to see if the convenience store on my morning route carries it.

I really miss the glass bottles though. There's nothing like Coco-Cola in a glass bottle. Mexican Coke is one of the many things I miss about living in Texas because a lot of corner stores had them. I finally found one grocery store here that gets them, but I don't shop there very often.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

If you want to learn more than you ever thought possible about this new Pepsi checkout this review/post

http://www.bevreview.com/2009/04/17/pepsi-throwback/

Like others have noticed it goes down a lot smoother than the regular pepsi

Quote Originally Posted by KeleiGrrrl View Post
    I really miss the glass bottles though. There's nothing like Coco-Cola in a glass bottle.
    I enjoyed when you could look at the bottom of the bottle and it would say where the original contents were first bottled. It was like a little geography lesson in many cases ("where the heck is Ponca City, Oklahoma?")

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I enjoyed when you could look at the bottom of the bottle and it would say where the original contents were first bottled. It was like a little geography lesson in many cases ("where the heck is Ponca City, Oklahoma?")
    Is it really, really sad that not only do I know exactly where Ponca City is and have driven through it several times, but also know someone who has relatives from there?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Yes! I remember that! It was always like a little treat at the end. And, as a little kid, I really thought it was neat, because I'd barely been out of my state, so it was super-cool to me.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    Is it really, really sad that not only do I know exactly where Ponca City is and have driven through it several times, but also know someone who has relatives from there?
    I recall distinctly where I was when I drank from the Ponca City bottle. The yearbook offices in high-school. I remember because I commented on it, and the yearbook advisor was very excited to see it - as he hailed from there.

Red face Re: Pepsi Throwback

Quote Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post
    If you want to learn more than you ever thought possible about this new Pepsi checkout this review/post

http://www.bevreview.com/2009/04/17/pepsi-throwback/
    That is, indeed, a thorough review. Thanks for the link. My wife brought a bottle home yesterday, and I sampled what was left (prior to my sip, I'd been off my soda habit for months!). It tasted great, but that might've just been the suppressed soda addict in me. Definitely less biting, less acidic than HFCS Pepsi (which is already sweeter compared to Coke, to be sure). Tasty... but not exactly low calorie!

I had a couple of cans of Mountain Dew Throwback today at a gathering. I have no idea where the cans were purchased from.

I couldn't taste the difference. Picture of the can is from hawyn316's flickr site (he had a camera while I am holding the can).

I've been on the hunt for this in Vegas but haven't found any yet...

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post

I don't expect we'd be fortunate enough to be included out here in Hawaii. But if anyone spots this stuff in the wild, let us know!
    Anybody encountered the Pepsi Throwback on Oahu? I'd love to try some...

It's on sale for $.99 for a 20 oz. bottle at Target in town.

12 pks are on sale by me 2/$8. Gonna go buy two today!
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

NPR does a story on this on All Things Considered today.

If you wanna search for it, start at www.npr.org and link to All Things Considered for today May 5

Or just go here (I searched the site for 'Throwback'). Interesting to see this drink surface right around the time the Corn Council (or whomever) started running ads assuring us that High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast