Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes To Clear Channel Hawaii Radio Stations

source

Clear Channel Radio Hawaii announces radio station shifts for some of its most popular on-air hosts. These changes will be effective tomorrow, April 29, 2009.
    After 19 years on KIKI-FM (Hot 93-9), Rory Wild and partner Greg Hammer will now be heard in the morning slot of KDNN-FM (Island 98.5) along with remaining morning host, Crystal Akana. Lanai and Junior Kekuewa, Jr. will exit the show following this change.
    Jamie Hyatt, operations manager/director of programming at Clear Channel Radio Hawaii said, 'For years, the people of Hawaii have loved the music on Island 98.5 and loved the Wake Up Crew with Rory and Greg. Now, they will finally be able to 'have their cake and eat it too' as Rory and Greg move to Island 98.5. Local folks will be able to hear their favorite morning show on their favorite music station. It's about giving people of Hawaii what they really want."
    In addition, KUCD-FM (Star 101.9) afternoon personality Maleko will move to mornings on Hot 93.9 where he will be teamed with Hot 93-9's Natasha Jackson. Maleko will continue to do his daily show on Star 101.9 in addition to this additional role.
    "We've known for some time that Maleko is a rising star in Hawaii radio and would one day host a morning show for us," Clear Channel Hawaii VP/General Manager Chuck Cotton said. "He's going to ignite Hot 93.9 with new energy. The pairing of Maleko and Natasha puts two very plugged in personalities together. We are expecting big things from this show."
    Another change brings Pablo Sato back to KIKI-FM afternoon drive, while Big Koa moves to nights. Sato had a long run with KIKI in the afternoon slot until leaving to start a restaurant business.
    "Pablo Sato is one of the most missed personalities in Hawaii radio," Hyatt says. "We are very excited about bringing him home to family and friends here in Hawaii."
    Finally, KSSK-AM will now simulcast KSSK-FM in all dayparts around-the-clock. Dick Wainwright exits the station and KSSK-AM will drop the nationally syndicated personality John Tesh. KSSK-AM will break away from programming at the top of each hour to continue local newscasts.
    "KSSK AM and FM have been the same brand for many years. While the move to simulcast programming is a cost-cutting move, it also gives us the opportunity to offer top-ranked personalities Kathy with a K and Curt Williams live and local all day on both stations," Hyatt concluded.
    Cliffs: Rory and Gregg will be moving to Island 98.5 (clear channel's island/hawaiian station); 'Tasha will be cohosting with Star 101.9's Maleko in the morning well as doing his regular gig; Pablo Sato is back in the Afternoons; and Big Koa will be back at nights.

I rarely listen to the wake up crew now, but I grew up with them. CC, good bye.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Changes To Clear Channel Hawaii Radio Stations

Adrian? Is that reeeeeally you? Or is that an imposter?! Regardless, welcome back. Possibly you're married with 4 or 5 kids by now?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Adrian? Is that reeeeeally you? Or is that an imposter?! Regardless, welcome back. Possibly you're married with 4 or 5 kids by now?
      Over a year and a half have passed since we heard from you, A!!! Welcome back!
      (Indulge us for being off-topic, 'kay?)

Comment

"Dick Wainwright will exit the station" - that's a big loss.

History / tribute from Erika in this morning's Star Bull:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ainwright.html
        Last edited by Kimo; April 29, 2009, 06:12 AM. Reason: additional material

Comment

I can't really tell if you guys think all of this is good or bad. Good luck, though. In my past experience, whenever CC started moving things around, it usually meant good indie stations were about to get bought out and dumped, and stations with the exact same music you could hear everywhere else were being brought in, along with obnoxious morning show "entertainment". But if everyone likes these people, I'm truly glad you aren't going to be subjected to the "fun" of Lex and Terry's Jerry Springer-like morning show like we are here.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I miss Lanai and Junior already! I heard the news about them losing their jobs on Sunrise (thanks Howard!) but thought the decision had just been announced and that I would hear them today saying their farewells.

What a shock to hear that Greg and Rory are already broadcasting in their place!

I don't listen to the whole show - just during my commute - so maybe I missed them saying their farewells yesterday but judging from the calls that were coming in, I wasn't the only one expecting to hear the Lanai Morning Show this morning.
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I have to remind you folks not to post entire articles to this board. The FAQ says as a rule to post only excerpts and link back to the article.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

damn that sucks for Dick Wainwright... It was true about the cost cutting. Being in radio that long, you really dont think you would get cut, but look, he did.

Comment

Dick Wainwright was one of the best sounding voices in Hawaii period. This is not good news for radio.

Comment

Clear Channel has now taken my favorite radio station from San Francisco and totally automated & changed it's format from Smooth Jazz to Rock. I've been listening to this station for 20 years! Clear Channel SUCKS!!!!!!

(yes I know - this is about Hawaii stations but I didn't want to start a whole new thread just for my one comment. Carry on.)
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Clear Channel sucks!

I second that, no matter where they are!
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

on the brightside, Star 101.9 now has a Local Rock Band showcase on Sunday nights from 7-7:30 (hosted by pixie)
                        808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          Clear Channel has now taken my favorite radio station from San Francisco and totally automated & changed it's format from Smooth Jazz to Rock. I've been listening to this station for 20 years! Clear Channel SUCKS!!!!!!

(yes I know - this is about Hawaii stations but I didn't want to start a whole new thread just for my one comment. Carry on.)
                          Jazz keyboardist, Gregg Karukas, mentioned the KKSF change over on Facebook today. He mentioned his disappointment because KKSF has been a big supporter of his music for years and they were instrumental in making his Nightshift CD #1. Evidently, KKSF.com will still exist as a smooth jazz website.

I assume, Fran, that you're aware that local station, KORL 101.1FM, is currently smooth jazz. Dunno if that's a CC station or not.

A friend of my daughter's just changed jobs...from CC to the Star-Bulletin.

Comment

KORL 101.1 FM is a H.Hawaii Media station. They operate several stations on the Big Island, Maui and Kauai as well as KHPI AM 1130 AM (Multicultural radio).

Here is a link to their radio station websites:

http://www.hhawaiimedia.com/stations.html

H.Hawaii Media owns/operates the following:

KHPI 1130 AM / 101.5 FM (LP) - multicultural radio
                            KORL 1180 AM - silent
                            KORL 101.1 FM - Smooth Jazz

on Maui

KONI 104.7 FM - classic hits 60s 70s 80s
                            KLUI 97.3 FM - Classic Rock

on Kauai

KTOH 99.9 FM - Classic Hits 70s 80s 90s
                            KJMQ 98.1 FM - Hip Hop
                            KITH 98.9 FM - Island hits

on the Big Island

KBGX 105.3 FM - Oldies 60s 70s 80s
                            KKOA 107.7 FM - Contemporary Country
                            Last edited by mel; May 19, 2009, 08:47 PM.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

[QUOTE=tutusue;232469]Jazz keyboardist, Gregg Karukas, mentioned the KKSF change over on Facebook today. He mentioned his disappointment because KKSF has been a big supporter of his music for years and they were instrumental in making his Nightshift CD #1. Evidently, KKSF.com will still exist as a smooth jazz website.

KKSF supported all Jazz in the Bay Area. I listened to that station while living in SFO exclusively. I called "my true love" this morning and asked if he knew "our" station had changed formats - he was shocked! Tuned to the station while we were on the phone and couldn't believe what he was hearing. I listened to the website live feed and it was the same but I really missed listening to Dave Koz all afternoon, missed the commercials - it was just not the same.

Yes, I do know that KORL is now broadcasting "Smooth Jazz". Now, if they will only start their live streaming, I'll have something to listen to on radio. They aren't to that point yet but I was told it would be soon. My radio listening is primarily while I'm at work, through the computer.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X