Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best instant coffee?

Default Best instant coffee?

you guys always come up with great suggestions so i wondered if anyone felt strongly about a particular brand of instant coffee. granted, it's a subjective opinion but that's okay. i'll give it a try.

thanks.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Default Re: best instant coffee?

A French Press...

....and I'm not joking.

You can find a individual size for $10-15, you add a scoop or two of regular coffee fill with boiling water, let it set for a minute put the plunger in and pour into you cup and enjoy.

Remember Sanka?

There is no such thing as "best" instant coffee! Coffee & instant shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I would agree with Ninja on a French Press - great REAL coffee, in just a couple minutes, without a cord! You can use it anyplace you can get hot water.

Wink Re: best instant coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    There is no such thing as "best" instant coffee! Coffee & instant shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

I would agree with Ninja on a French Press - great REAL coffee, in just a couple minutes, without a cord! You can use it anyplace you can get hot water.
    Anapuni said it about all for me - I'm 100% on board with this.
    I also have a 1-cup drip coffee device: 1 scoop in the bottom (filter) part, hothot water in the top, 1-minute to coffee - REAL coffee.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

The Racing Spoon

Used to be carried around our necks when I was in the armed forces. As other people will tell you if they are brothers in arms. It's not all action ! A lot of the time is spent sitting 'round waiting.
    It was taken for granted in the marines that you could have a few sips (with your racing spoon) of whatever was on the go.

Coffee, Stew, Curry 'n rice > The list goes on,,,,, as far as an airoplane hanger full of troops. Still got that spoon And it's a treasure hanging up next to my dog tags.

Love the Kona sent by mates in Hawii but to make it go further,,,,, I add some Nescafe,

Grey Man
    Last edited by Barry; May 6th, 2009 at 12:42 PM.

.wrong thread.
    Last edited by Kaukura; May 6th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
    n'importe

ha! ha! you guys crack me up! okay, i'll invest in a french press. i didn't realize there were such coffee purists here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Sorry I am not a coffe fan. I was married to some who had to have her 2 cups of coffee when she fisr got up. Yes forget the sex. And also her one cup of coffee when before she went to bed.

I can fairly answer your question - Taster's Choice. It beats every american national brand of 'real' and instant coffee, though probably no 'purist' considers the national brands to be 'real' coffee (robusta is just too harsh and lacking in aromatics). It has an aromatic presence and even leaves that little hint of oily foam on the top that results from having made a good cup of coffee in the proper manner. A french press will not make a good cup of coffee if you don't put good coffee into it, so that answer just isn't an answer at all!
    Last edited by salmoned; May 6th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

For me, instant coffee is only good for making ice cream and finishing gravy...don't think I have ever really relished a cup.

Barry might can add on, but I know all my family/mates back home in Bermuda and the UK ALL drink exclusively Instant...and I have no idea why...
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    I can fairly answer your question - Taster's Choice. It beats every american national brand of 'real' and instant coffee
    Really? I searched the web for reviews on this and couldn't find one that had anywhere near this conclusion.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    A French Press...

....and I'm not joking.

You can find a individual size for $10-15, you add a scoop or two of regular coffee fill with boiling water, let it set for a minute put the plunger in and pour into you cup and enjoy.
    O.K. I know I should read the whole thread but I'm on a short "leash". The
    french press is exquisite and is fabulous when there is no power (if you have a stove or gas grill with a burner). We keep coffee ground on hand for just
    such emergencies. But also we like to brew this method during normal times as well. Great suggestion!

are you going camping?

If so, let me suggest those coffee "tea bags" (folger makes one). Portable and perfect!

pax

Quote Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
    For me, instant coffee is only good for making ice cream and finishing gravy...don't think I have ever really relished a cup.

Barry might can add on, but I know all my family/mates back home in Bermuda and the UK ALL drink exclusively Instant...and I have no idea why...

Our man Tatt is absolutly correct. It's great in ice cream or to re-vitalise some Kona ( It's hard to get over here). Never thought of putting it in the gravy but must try it.
    Some of my friends add a spoon of instant to the bath water, along with a tea bag. They claim that it prolongs their sun tan but I haven't seen any proof. Something about Tannin and Caffeine ?

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

A french press will not make a good cup of coffee if you don't put good coffee into it....
    i agree wholeheartedly with this, and will add that charbucks does not count as good coffee.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Starbucks came out with a new line of instant coffee, has anyone tried it?
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by infinitypro View Post
    Starbucks came out with a new line of instant coffee....
    ah. because burning perfectly good coffee beans is only a few steps away from dehydrating them so they can be imbibed as a "coffee-like" beverage (a description that applies to that which makes up most of their repertoire).

okay, i'll stop being a snide, snooty wank.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    okay, i'll stop being a snide, snooty wank.
    Oh, please don't!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I have heard the same complaint about Starbuxx from so many people who are - that they severely over-roast their beans. And that's from residents of the town that begat them.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    Really? I searched the web for reviews on this and couldn't find one that had anywhere near this conclusion.
    Searching for input here and web-wide is an exercise in futility in the first place, since it's all merely a matter of personal taste. I am not a daily drinker of instant or ground, but I have 'shopped' both (my latest test has been of some civet poo from SE Asia - not bad, but it deteriorates within three weeks and is way too pricy ) and the only instant I will stock is TC. Can you share the results of your search to date?

Searching for input here and web-wide is an exercise in futility in the first place, since it's all merely a matter of personal taste.
    I think the huge food and beverage review industry is pretty strong evidence contrary to this view.

Here are the best reviews I could find that cover Taster's Choice, the latter being a roundup of quite a few different brands -

http://www.landor.com/index.cfm?do=t...1&bhhash=1#top

http://food.aol.com/instant-coffee
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

Postum!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Postum!
    Heehee, I know what that is! *channels Yoda: showing my age, I am...*

It also sounds like something McGarrett might drink: "Postum, Danno!"
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    I think the huge food and beverage review industry is pretty strong evidence contrary to this view.

Here are the best reviews I could find that cover Taster's Choice, the latter being a roundup of quite a few different brands -

http://www.landor.com/index.cfm?do=t...1&bhhash=1#top

http://food.aol.com/instant-coffee
    I looked at your links, but I failed to see your point. A comparison between original TC and Italian Roast Via (instant and ground) is not much of a comparison as TC is not designed to compare with the darker Italian roast flavor. The other comparison rated TC highly and commented that it could mistaken for ground - supporting my position. The winner of that latter comparison I haven't seen in stores, is it really a national brand?

Rather than refuting, the large food & beverage review industry tends to prove my point. Universal agreement concerning relative flavor ranking would not support such a wide range of opinions.

I was actually looking forward to an overall result to your search, so I could try another 'winner'.

from Wikipedia:

Postum was a powdered roasted grain beverage sold by the Kraft Foods company as a coffee substitute. The caffeine-free beverage mix was created by company founder C. W. Post in 1895 and produced and marketed by Postum Cereal Company as a healthy alternative to coffee. Post was a student of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg who believed caffeine to be unhealthy. Postum was made from wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin from corn. It was discontinued in 2007.[1][2]

Postum enjoyed a meteoric rise in sales and popularity in the U.S. during World War II as coffee became heavily rationed and people searched for a replacement.[3]

So, it doesn't count. <smile> I remember tasting it once - yech!!!!!
    Last edited by anapuni808; May 8th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast