Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best instant coffee?

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    A french press will not make a good cup of coffee if you don't put good coffee into it....
    i agree wholeheartedly with this, and will add that charbucks does not count as good coffee.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Starbucks came out with a new line of instant coffee, has anyone tried it?
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by infinitypro View Post
        Starbucks came out with a new line of instant coffee....
        ah. because burning perfectly good coffee beans is only a few steps away from dehydrating them so they can be imbibed as a "coffee-like" beverage (a description that applies to that which makes up most of their repertoire).

okay, i'll stop being a snide, snooty wank.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          okay, i'll stop being a snide, snooty wank.
          Oh, please don't!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I have heard the same complaint about Starbuxx from so many people who are - that they severely over-roast their beans. And that's from residents of the town that begat them.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
            Really? I searched the web for reviews on this and couldn't find one that had anywhere near this conclusion.
            Searching for input here and web-wide is an exercise in futility in the first place, since it's all merely a matter of personal taste. I am not a daily drinker of instant or ground, but I have 'shopped' both (my latest test has been of some civet poo from SE Asia - not bad, but it deteriorates within three weeks and is way too pricy ) and the only instant I will stock is TC. Can you share the results of your search to date?
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Searching for input here and web-wide is an exercise in futility in the first place, since it's all merely a matter of personal taste.
              I think the huge food and beverage review industry is pretty strong evidence contrary to this view.

Here are the best reviews I could find that cover Taster's Choice, the latter being a roundup of quite a few different brands -

http://www.landor.com/index.cfm?do=t...1&bhhash=1#top

http://food.aol.com/instant-coffee
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Postum!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Postum!
                  Heehee, I know what that is! *channels Yoda: showing my age, I am...*

It also sounds like something McGarrett might drink: "Postum, Danno!"
                  To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                    I think the huge food and beverage review industry is pretty strong evidence contrary to this view.

Here are the best reviews I could find that cover Taster's Choice, the latter being a roundup of quite a few different brands -

http://www.landor.com/index.cfm?do=t...1&bhhash=1#top

http://food.aol.com/instant-coffee
                    I looked at your links, but I failed to see your point. A comparison between original TC and Italian Roast Via (instant and ground) is not much of a comparison as TC is not designed to compare with the darker Italian roast flavor. The other comparison rated TC highly and commented that it could mistaken for ground - supporting my position. The winner of that latter comparison I haven't seen in stores, is it really a national brand?

Rather than refuting, the large food & beverage review industry tends to prove my point. Universal agreement concerning relative flavor ranking would not support such a wide range of opinions.

I was actually looking forward to an overall result to your search, so I could try another 'winner'.

Comment

from Wikipedia:

Postum was a powdered roasted grain beverage sold by the Kraft Foods company as a coffee substitute. The caffeine-free beverage mix was created by company founder C. W. Post in 1895 and produced and marketed by Postum Cereal Company as a healthy alternative to coffee. Post was a student of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg who believed caffeine to be unhealthy. Postum was made from wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin from corn. It was discontinued in 2007.[1][2]

Postum enjoyed a meteoric rise in sales and popularity in the U.S. during World War II as coffee became heavily rationed and people searched for a replacement.[3]

So, it doesn't count. <smile> I remember tasting it once - yech!!!!!
                      Last edited by anapuni808; May 8, 2009, 01:22 PM.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The winner of that latter comparison I haven't seen in stores, is it really a national brand?
                        Yes. They have recently expanded to being stocked in Walgreen's stores nation-wide.

Comment

I looked at your links, but I failed to see your point. A comparison between original TC and Italian Roast Via (instant and ground) is not much of a comparison as TC is not designed to compare with the darker Italian roast flavor. The other comparison rated TC highly and commented that it could mistaken for ground - supporting my position. The winner of that latter comparison I haven't seen in stores, is it really a national brand? .
                          My point was clearly stated in my reply to your original post. I could not find any review that had a conclusion anywhere near what you were stating. If this - "I can fairly answer your question - Taster's Choice. It beats every american national brand of 'real' and instant coffee" is simply your opinion it certainly does not sound like it and seems to me that it was misrepresented.
                          Also this is from the review that you are saying supports your position "Pass for brewed? Just barely" - That is a far cry from "beats every american national brand of 'real' and instant coffee".

Rather than refuting, the large food & beverage review industry tends to prove my point. Universal agreement concerning relative flavor ranking would not support such a wide range of opinions.
                          If it's all a matter of personal taste and it's an exercise in futility to look up reviews then
                          1. Why did you offer a recommendation in the first place?
                          2. An industry that relied on this being false would not thrive.
                          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Huh? You thought I was voicing an established and generally accepted fact and not just my own opinion? How could you, when your own search came up with so many differing opinions concerning the 'best' instant coffee? I think you need to conduct a reality check. I was asked, so I answered with my opinion. If I was expected to check with other sources and provide the most generally accepted opinion of others, I would have expected a different question. Question asked, question answered. No surveys, no extensive research conducted, no authorities cited. I said 'I can fairly answer your question' because the previous answers did not address the question, but rather skirted it by suggesting an alternative to instant coffee. As to your ' An industry that relied...' comment, the industry relies on differences of opinion. That's why it thrives. It certainly doesn't thrive because it creates a general consensus of opinion.
                            Last edited by salmoned; May 8, 2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

This is ridiculous. Have you tried every american national brand of real and instant coffee? I doubt it. Usually when someone says something like 'X brand beat every other brand in the country in X category' they read a reliable review that made this comparison. If you haven't actually tried all these coffees you're comparing then how the heck can you say that?? Why not just say 'I've tried a lot of coffees real and instant and this is the best I've tried'.

Comment

This is getting very petty & silly. Since the person who started the thread isn't even posting anymore - maybe it's time to close it?

Admin? anyone?
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X