Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Since the person who started the thread isn't even posting anymore -
    Shaveice is out for a coffee, maybe?

Comment

Re: best instant coffee?

Prolly not instant. I vote for tea.

Comment

ha! ha! that's right actually, now that my daughter's five, i seem to be busier than ever and i don't get to check this forum as often as i'd like.

regarding the french press idea, my wife shot it down; long story but i'll just say that i've put that idea on hold.

i asked about instant basically cuz i'm not a huge coffee fan and i'm lazy! i usually have just one or two cups a day. usually one from coffee bean during the day and then one in the evening at home--and that's where my question comes in.

so anyway, on my shelf now, i have a mountain blend (not bad), a key coffee from japan (not very good) and a caffe d'amore esppressimo (not bad).

salmoned mentioned taster's choice and i do have to say that i liked it when i tried it in vancouver in april. i was on the road and bought a very small jar so i could make some coffee at night and i liked it. when i returned to hawaii, i was puzzled cuz i couldn't find the exact same bottle. someone mentioned walgreens so i go and check it out tomorrow.

thanks for all the feedback ;->

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Shaveice is out for a coffee, maybe?
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: Best instant coffee?

First, I am not a coffee drinker; I drink coffee only for the cream / sugar additions.

In my mom's fridge, I noticed a jar of Borden's kava instant coffee. "90% Acid Neutralized" the label says. Never recalled seeing it on the mainland, but again, I'm not a coffee drinker.

I've been drinking it with evaporated milk and Splenda. Pretty good stuff. Not recommending, juss saying.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            ah. because burning perfectly good coffee beans is only a few steps away from dehydrating them so they can be imbibed as a "coffee-like" beverage (a description that applies to that which makes up most of their repertoire).

okay, i'll stop being a snide, snooty wank.
            I don't drink coffee, so wank away
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

I am sitting in my Naperville IL "office" Starbuck's and they've just introduced their "VIA" instant coffee packets. I've yet to buy/try any I can't remember if/when they would be available in Hawaii.If I get a sample I'll let y'all know.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                This is ridiculous. Have you tried every american national brand of real and instant coffee? I doubt it. Usually when someone says something like 'X brand beat every other brand in the country in X category' they read a reliable review that made this comparison. If you haven't actually tried all these coffees you're comparing then how the heck can you say that?? Why not just say 'I've tried a lot of coffees real and instant and this is the best I've tried'.
                What's ridiculous is that you pretend one has to try every brand to form an opinion. Even those comparisons you cited didn't pretend THAT. Taste is not the only factor in my comparisons, price is a factor as well (as was the case in one of the comparisons you cited). I never needed to taste anything beyond my price range to know it ain't as good [due to excessive price]. I also knew I didn't need to taste anything I couldn't easily find because of the hassle factor. Let's face it, we're talking about instant coffee. It's just not worth that much effort or expense.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  What's ridiculous is that you pretend one has to try every brand to form an opinion.
                  Nope. I "pretend" that one has to try a brand to form an opinion about it. Or even read a reliable review about it. According to you if you try anything and like it you can say it's the best without trying any others. You're wrong. Let it go.
                  What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

(never mind. the 2 children aren't worth the energy)
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hmmm...............I wonder if they're trying to figure out whose is bigger?
                      Last edited by anapuni808; May 12, 2009, 10:46 PM. Reason: that's what I was going to say before
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Hmmm...............I wonder if they're trying to figure out whose is bigger?
                        Hey there!! Haha.

Fine...Sorry salmon, maybe I was mean in my first post in the thread. I tend to just write as I think.
                        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

the best hands down is Medaglia d'oro, it's an instant espresso. Nescafe is 2nd runner up, although I like the powder version vs. the crystals. (the powder version i find in chinatown, probably is imported, and the crystals I find in Longs)

edit:
                          hey, it seems others agree with me, i did a search and here is a thread on chowhound.. Medaglia d'oro and nescafe it is..

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/312446

I certainly can understand the high praise for french press. it is my favorite way of making it, but it is not to be confused for instant at all. french press is far from instant. You have to grind the beans 'just right'. You have to add the right amount of water, the right temperature. stir it and let it wait for about 4 mins. then plunge it and pour. then you have to clean that d%#% pot with those grounds and hope you dont break the glass itslef which i've done multiple times..

I am eyeing the starbucks metal french presses, they are beautiful, but expensive..
                          Last edited by Kaukura; May 12, 2009, 10:59 PM. Reason: 9 out of 10 survey says....
                          n'importe

Comment

Sorry but I've got to disagree. I was brought up in France and English is my second language. French pressed coffee is not bad and a lot of my friends have taken a liking to to it.
                            I get sent packets of Kona from mates in Hawaii. Some I keep in the freezer and some I put in the blender with a spoonfull of Nestcafe.
                            It keeps in a jar for ages but I've got to admit that there are coffee grounds on the bottom of your cup.
                            Just pour some boiling water over it and stir with some sugar cane and it is delicicious.

Grey Man

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              Sorry but I've got to disagree. I was brought up in France and English is my second language. French pressed coffee is not bad and a lot of my friends have taken a liking to to it.
                              I get sent packets of Kona from mates in Hawaii. Some I keep in the freezer and some I put in the blender with a spoonfull of Nestcafe.
                              It keeps in a jar for ages but I've got to admit that there are coffee grounds on the bottom of your cup.
                              Just pour some boiling water over it and stir with some sugar cane and it is delicicious.

Grey Man
                              umm. i dont recall anywhere in my post where I said french press was bad. Point me in the direction?? I said french press was NOT instant coffee.

Evidemment come vous avez dit, l'anglais c'est pas votre langue maternelle...I'm not going to debate this.
                              n'importe

Comment

http://www.kitv.com/news/23999164/detail.html

Does the coffee make you wake or get up faster?

Comment

Working...
                                X