Override Lingle’s Vetoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Override Lingle’s Vetoes?

The Hawai‘i State Legislature has overrode Governor Linda Lingle's vetoes of four key tax increase bills they say are needed to balance the budget.
    Yes, the bills were the best way to balance the budget.
    54.55%
    No, Governor Lingle had a better budget plan.
    45.45%

The poll is expired.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Override Lingle’s Vetoes?

I'm not much of an expert on these kinds of things, but the legislature tiptoes around certain kinds of decisions because so many of its members want to be re-elected. At a time when the governor has nothing to gain, politically, by vetoing the bills, I'm more inclined to give her a listen.

Slightly off-topic: If the cigarette tax finally pushes lots and lots and lots of people to give up smoking, doesn't the tax defeat its purpose? The legislature is COUNTING on people to keep smoking. On the other hand, if enough people quit smoking, the burden on the healthcare system (presumably) would be eased. In the long run, would it all even out?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I'm not much of an expert on these kinds of things, but the legislature tiptoes around certain kinds of decisions because so many of its members want to be re-elected. At a time when the governor has nothing to gain, politically, by vetoing the bills, I'm more inclined to give her a listen.
      I don't know if Lingle is taking her anti-tax stance purely out of principle. She may have nothing to gain as far as a higher political office in this state. But as I mentioned in another thread, Newt Gingrich has mentioned her name in as one of the rising stars in the national GOP. Since the Republicans have been preaching the mantra of "CUT TAXES" as their response to the economic crisis, her veto could definitely be used as an example of how she stood up to the "tax-and-spend Democrats" who control the Hawaii Legislature.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Poll question: Lingle had a better plan?!

She didn't even have a plan! Instead she sat back and didn't submit a budget until so late in the legislative session that even IF the Legislature was inclined to accommodate her it couldn't be done. Then she comes out against the Lege budget saying that the Dems are gonna tax everyone to death.

Rather than show leadership in these trying economic times our wonderful Governor elected to sit back and take on the roll of peanut gallery. If the GOP is seriously looking at her as one of their future darlings they would do well to consider that.

Comment

Slightly off-topic: If the cigarette tax finally pushes lots and lots and lots of people to give up smoking, doesn't the tax defeat its purpose? The legislature is COUNTING on people to keep smoking. On the other hand, if enough people quit smoking, the burden on the healthcare system (presumably) would be eased. In the long run, would it all even out?
          Why are tobacco taxes constantly touched? I would think it's time to start implementing similar taxes on alcohol.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

If the cigarette tax finally pushes lots and lots and lots of people to give up smoking, doesn't the tax defeat its purpose? The legislature is COUNTING on people to keep smoking. On the other hand, if enough people quit smoking, the burden on the healthcare system (presumably) would be eased. In the long run, would it all even out?
            Absolutely. Which is why what you just described is a win-win situation for legislators. I’m sure Alohakine would see it differently, which is just one more argument for legalizing marijuana (to spread the sin tax around more equitably).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

"I don't know if Lingle is taking her anti-tax stance purely out of principle. She may have nothing to gain as far as a higher political office in this state. But as I mentioned in another thread, Newt Gingrich has mentioned her name in as one of the rising stars in the national GOP. Since the Republicans have been preaching the mantra of "CUT TAXES" as their response to the economic crisis, her veto could definitely be used as an example of how she stood up to the "tax-and-spend Democrats" who control the Hawaii Legislature."

+1
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Working...
              X