Thread: Jury Duty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jury Duty

So I have to report for Jury Duty on Tuesday. I got called once before, but I was a full-time student and was exempt. This time I have to go. I'm not sure what to expect. Everyone keeps telling me they're sorry. I don't really want to go, but I know it's my civic duty and all that. Plus, I'm not working, so I don't have anything else going on right now. You get one free pass and why use it now, you know? Maybe next time I'll have just started a new job or I'll be sick.

So...what's it really like? What do they ask you? If you've been on a jury, is it really boring, or kind of fun? No one my age has ever gone before (they've all been in school or just haven't been selected), and my parents can't remember much, except that my mom got stuck on a trial about a improperly installed stove that dragged on for three weeks. She obviously didn't tell us about it until after it was over, and we all thought it was some cool case to be so long, and then when she told us it was about a stove, I remember thinking I didn't ever want to sit there for 3 weeks and listen to that.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Default Re: Jury Duty

Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    So I have to report for Jury Duty on Tuesday. I got called once before, but I was a full-time student and was exempt. This time I have to go. I'm not sure what to expect. Everyone keeps telling me they're sorry. I don't really want to go, but I know it's my civic duty and all that. Plus, I'm not working, so I don't have anything else going on right now. You get one free pass and why use it now, you know? Maybe next time I'll have just started a new job or I'll be sick.

So...what's it really like? What do they ask you? If you've been on a jury, is it really boring, or kind of fun? No one my age has ever gone before (they've all been in school or just haven't been selected), and my parents can't remember much, except that my mom got stuck on a trial about a improperly installed stove that dragged on for three weeks. She obviously didn't tell us about it until after it was over, and we all thought it was some cool case to be so long, and then when she told us it was about a stove, I remember thinking I didn't ever want to sit there for 3 weeks and listen to that.

We get it here, most times you are not called for Jury Duty, so a good book and a bag of sandwiches are useful. Claim for all expenses !

I've been called for Jury Duty three times in my life. First time was nine years ago, at a point when I would be working out of town for four months, so I was granted an exemption. Second time was just a couple months ago, third time will be in about a month (they've got me in their system now!) Last time was Municipal Court, this upcoming one will be Superior Court.

In Municipal Court, the first day started with a brief video and discussion of juror responsibilities. Then, we sat around in a very comfortable room with nice chairs, computer access (controlled by the court to some extent), television sets, etc. A LOT of waiting to be called up as a potential juror. The first day, I didn't get called up. Near the end of the second day, I did get called, and I was also selected for a jury (I even ended up as the foreman.) The misdemeanor trial lasted part of the second day and part of a third; a young guy crossed the street against a light and disobeyed a cop who yelled to him not to do so. Then he got mouthy with the cop. Not the brightest bulb in the marquee.

Most courts, if you don't get chosen for a jury in two days, you are released. My advice is to bring something to keep you entertained and occupied. If you like to read, bring that thick book that you've been wanting to get into. Bring an .mp3 player to listen to. Bring any small crafts projects that you enjoy doing. Prepare to spend most of your time waiting...waiting...waiting.

The kind of case you might hear will depend upon which court calls you up. Same with the length of a potential trial. What court is it?

Wink Re: Jury Duty

Those friends have already given you good advice re: the physical imposition. But there is also an emotional imposition:

Like WTF am I to judge a fellow human being? What are my decisions going to do to their lives? Etc. Been there, done that.

You are asked to interpret whether or not the person in question transcended (broke) the law. That's all. Not whether they deserve it or deserve another chance.

YOU are the barrier between a police state and anarchy! It is a hard choice to put upon any citizen, but if not us, then who? They have juries of 12 so that there is no blame to an individual; it is a group decision.

If you get a case, pay attention to the facts, know the law, and render a determination whether the person is guilty of breaking the law. Let the judge carry the burden of judgement based on your group's take - that's why they make more than us.

You will survive. You may have regrets, or you may be bored and never get called.

Thank you for your service. If it wasn't for people willing to take the responsibility to serve on juries, we would all be judged by...

those innappropriate to pass judgement.

Best luck. Do right. Make the world a better (righteous) place.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Is it true that the jury duty list is taken from people with a drivers' license? I don't think people who registered to vote are on the jury duty list.

I've served on 3 juries - both civil & criminal cases. The civil cases were SOOOOO boring but the criminal cases were very interesting. On one of the cases - we KNEW the defendant was guilty, the JUDGE knew he was guilty - but the prosecutor didn't prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that the guy was guilty so we had to let him go. It really gave me a picture of how the justice system works and proved to me that it really DOES work. If you have to opportunity to serve on a jury - do it and appreciate the education you will get. Sure, it's inconvenient and most of us don't really want to have to pass judgement on our fellow citizens. But, it's necessary and is a duty of being a citizen. It's serious work - but it is also an opportunity for education.

Do it this time - then NEXT time, use your "out". I know I don't want to serve again.

On a funny note - I was once "excused" from a jury panel with no reason. By the prosecutor who was BLIND. What was up with that? It's amazing how rejected you feel when you get kicked out for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is it true that the jury duty list is taken from people with a drivers' license? I don't think people who registered to vote are on the jury duty list.
    Yes, it's taken from the DPS pool. I'm not registered to vote (don't lecture me...we moved to a different county shortly before moving to Hawaii, and I was a little overwhelmed by the moving process to register, then honestly forgot since we moved back) in my current county, so I know they didn't pull it from that.

Criminal Justice was my 2nd major, and I have a vague recollection of some of what I studied. I remember several classes worth of lecture on the psychology of the jury selection process. So I'll take two books (I read fast) and hope their chairs are comfy. At least I know where the courthouse is. AND there's a really yummy ice-cream parlour across the street....

Can't think of anything creative this time