Wasted taxpayer's money, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasted taxpayer's money, again

Here is an irritating story about HawaiiCounty’s spending of tax dollars.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/articles/...al/local02.txt

After selling one of its bulldozers as surplus for $52,083, HawaiiCounty will have spent $427,025 renting it back by the time its recently extended contract expires June 31.”

And, “the rental price does not include fuel or labor, as it is operated by a county crew”.

According to the article, a comparative dozer bought new now costs $550,000, and the current value of a used dozer of the kind leased by the county runs $125,000 to $150,000. How does this compute with the county’s decision makers? Sell the dozer in 2003 for $52K. Meanwhile, it has a value of $125-150K in 2009. (And it would have been valued at even more 6 years ago, when 6 years newer.) Then rent the same dozer back for $427K.

Things like this make my blood boil, especially when I look at the amount of my paycheck that goes towards taxes. When the government cries about “not enough money to balance the budget”, their wastefulness is not hidden by their tears. This example is about county waste (Oahu has our own examples), but there is the same problem with the state and federal spending – WASTE OF TAXPAYERS DOLLARS, with the result that needed truly needed programs go under-funded due to lack of money.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Wasted taxpayer's money, again

That is ridiculous!
    If they kept it... even with maintenance costs, labor too, would've saved sooo much.
    What a bummer.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Hmmmm kickbacks? Perhaps!

Comment

thanks for this post; you're absolutely right to be upset. it's so wrong that they should spend OUR money in that irresponsible way; makes me sick....
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Putting this here:

Did you ever watch Lingle's public appeal for veto? It is a three-parter on youtube. Of course the Leg overrode it, but the vids are worth the 15ish minutes to watch them. She made a solid case.

pax

Comment

Working...
          X