Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pres. Obama @ Arizona State Commencement

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Easy there pardner, I used the term anti-choice, Obama didn't. So blame me, don't blame him.
    I wasn't blaming Obama. I know he didn't describe the doctor as "anti-choice." In fact, I read through his entire speech.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_204387.html

A few days after I won the Democratic nomination, I received an email from a doctor who told me that while he voted for me in the primary, he had a serious concern that might prevent him from voting for me in the general election. He described himself as a Christian who was strongly pro-life, but that's not what was preventing him from voting for me.

No, Obama didn't call the doctor anti-choice. You did.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Obama's point was that it boils down to semantics and prevents open and sincere discusions of the issues when people get hung up on semantics..
    With all due respect, I would say that you missed this very important point that Obama made re: this doctor.

What bothered the doctor was an entry that my campaign staff had posted on my website - an entry that said I would fight "right-wing ideologues who want to take away a woman's right to choose." The doctor said that he had assumed I was a reasonable person, but that if I truly believed that every pro-life individual was simply an ideologue who wanted to inflict suffering on women, then I was not very reasonable.

This is why I made the comment regarding your description of the doctor as "anti-choice." On one hand, you praised Obama for changing the wording on his campaign website that "villified" his position on abortion. But in your own post, you use a label (anti-choice) that villifies those who are on the pro-life side of the abortion debate.

I have no interest in starting up a new thread on this. I just wanted to point out your use of a label that does villify people taking a position against abortion. If you choose not to recognize this, then fine.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Pres. Obama @ Arizona State Commencement

Thank you for your feedback. If HT would let me edit my post I would. So let me just amend the post with this: He was contacted by a doctor who didn't agree with him on the issue of "choice" who said .......
      Last edited by matapule; May 19, 2009, 10:50 AM.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
      X