Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm making a care package! Suggestions for contents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm making a care package! Suggestions for contents?

Hey guys, i thought Hawaii threads would be a great place to ask..

Im sending a buddy of mines a care package who is in a combat zone in Afghan. What are some things I should include.

He said don't send chocolates because those melt, and nothing perishable.

Somethings I had in mind was...

Lihing Gummy bears
    Mochi Crunch
    Chex party Mix
    rice crispys treats.
    power bars / granola bars / kashi
    powdered Drinks like Tang or Crystal Light
    some car magazines because he is super into imports etc.

Other then that I really dont know what else to fill up his care package with. I want to make it Hawaiian theme but any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

-Edgar-
    Last edited by integlspwr; May 18, 2009, 02:19 PM.

Re: I'm making a care package! Suggestions for contents

Maybe an issue of the local newspapers like the Star Bulletin and/or the Advertiser. If said friend is from another island you could send them a copy of that island's newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Maybe an issue of the local newspapers like the Star Bulletin and/or the Advertiser. If said friend is from another island you could send them a copy of that island's newspaper.
      not a bad idea.. keep those suggestions coming..

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        That's a really good idea.
        The vast majority of deployed soldiers are going to have access to a good chowhall and a mini PX with a lot of convenience items so it's a lot more difficult nowadays to think of something to send a soldier that they don't already have access to. Life in a combat zone usually consists of a lot of downtime punctuated by brief periods of planned chaos (obviously this depends on the soldiers' job) so reading materials, movies, and video games are generally appreciated. You could buy a large thumb drive with, say 32gb of space, rip a bunch of movies to 700mb files (standard dvd quality) put them on the USB drive and send that over there. I have this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233063 It's the most rugged one you can buy and seems to have been built for military applications. This assumes that your buddy has access to a personal laptop.

Good luck to your friend!
        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Re: I'm making a care package! Suggestions for contents?

A DVD box set (or thumb drive) of their favorite television show would probably be well appreciated. Each season generally gives one at least 17 hours of entertainment.

Comment

Great advice, but from what i know its pretty rugged meaning FULL ON COMBAT not this walk in the park stuff, so no electronic devices that I know of and the stories from what i Know he is going to be eating MRE's so no access to chow halls and mini px's.

Comment

Dried fruit and fruit leathers, beef jerky, hard candy, tubes of peanut butter.

Condiments such as Tabasco sauce, to make MRE’s more palatable. I have read that fast food packets of ketchup etc. are very popular.

Packets of cleansing wipes such as Wet Ones.

Comment

During Viet Nam, my daughter's godfather was a chopper pilot, in the thick of things. Every week I sent him home baked goodies packaged in seal-a-meal bags or whatever was the equivalent in the late 60s. I also included travel sizes of after shave, shampoo, deodorant, etc. I padded the box with air popped popcorn wrapped in Saran Wrap...or was it waxed paper then! He said even the popcorn was still edible by the time the package arrived! He really, really appreciated the home baked goodies and was the envy of his platoon...or helicopter...or whatever, so in subsequent care packages I sent triple the goodies as he was sharing everything he received!!!

Here's an odd suggestion but I'll offer it anyway...a package of those thin strip breath mints. IIRC, dental hygiene isn't a priority in a war zone.

Comment

http://www.mysoldier.com/downloads/care-packages.pdf

From the My Soldier's webite (a great resource to "adopt a soldier"):

Food Items:
                  Instant coffee, powdered drink mixes (Gatorade, Kool-Aid, hot chocolate, etc.)
                  Sweetner, sugar
                  Tea Bags
                  Slim Jims, Beef Jerky, Summer Sausage
                  Crackers
                  Individual packages of chips, cereal, cookies, and other snacks (Rice Krispy treats, Chex Mix, Dried Fruit etc.)
                  Candy and gum (avoid anything that will melt)
                  Kraft Easy Mac
                  Mcrowave Popcorn
                  Granola bars, Power Bars, Breakfast bars
                  Canned goods (soup,tuna, chicken, etc.)
                  Oatmeal
                  Ragu Express
                  Instant Soup (Cup-o-Noodles, Ramen etc.)
                  Condiments (spices, mustard, ketchup,mayonnaise, salt, pepper,hot sauce, salad dressing, etc.)
                  Practical Items:
                  Clorox Wipes, Baby Wipes
                  Shower supplies (shampoo, conditioner, soap/body wash etc.)
                  Mouthwash, Dental Floss, Toothbrush,Toothpaste
                  Deodorant
                  T-shirts, Socks,Underwear
                  Towels and washcloths
                  Eye Drops, Contact Lens Cleaner
                  Chapstick/Lip Balm
                  Sun Block
                  Lotion
                  Baby Powder/Foot Powder
                  Combs and/or Brushes
                  Cotton Balls/Q-Tips
                  Liquid Hand Sanitizer
                  Breath Mints
                  Nail Files
                  Leisure Items:
                  Batteries
                  Magazines (Sports, Body
                  Building, News)
                  Books
                  Disposable Cameras
                  Stamps, Paper, Pens,Envelopes
                  Puzzles
                  Frisbees
                  Hackie Sacks
                  Squirt Guns
                  Electronic Games (XBox,PS2, Game Cube, etc.)
                  Jump Ropes
                  Phone Cards
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
                    Great advice, but from what i know its pretty rugged meaning FULL ON COMBAT not this walk in the park stuff, so no electronic devices that I know of and the stories from what i Know he is going to be eating MRE's so no access to chow halls and mini px's.
                    Sorry to burst your bubble but combat isn't like it was back in WWII. Soldiers will eat MREs but will do so for a few weeks at a time at the most if they are in a completely unestablished outpost. They don't spend an entire deployment in an outpost and will rotate on missions with some "companies" having the duty of quick reaction force etc as the one that has to spend time out in the suck. This is all assuming that your buddy is in the Infantry or attached to an Infantry Platoon, Company, or Battalion. If that is not the case then he will have it much better than this.
                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                      Sorry to burst your bubble but combat isn't like it was back in WWII. Soldiers will eat MREs but will do so for a few weeks at a time at the most if they are in a completely unestablished outpost. They don't spend an entire deployment in an outpost and will rotate on missions with some "companies" having the duty of quick reaction force etc as the one that has to spend time out in the suck. This is all assuming that your buddy is in the Infantry or attached to an Infantry Platoon, Company, or Battalion. If that is not the case then he will have it much better than this.
                      yep he is in infantry. but that list is a great way to start. gonna go shopping this coming week end for some goodies to send.

Comment

what part of afghanistan? if he'll be in a desert, best include some trash bags for him to keep his rifle sand-free.
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          what part of afghanistan? if he'll be in a desert, best include some trash bags for him to keep his rifle sand-free.
                          if i recall, they are going into the mountains..

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
                            Hey guys, i thought Hawaii threads would be a great place to ask..
                            Im sending a buddy of mines a care package who is in a combat zone in Afghan. What are some things I should include.
                            Things requested by my nephew the Army Ranger during his Afghanistan tour:
                            - Kona coffee (ground, of course) in smaller or "variety" bags
                            - macadamia nuts (smaller packages, can or pouch, sweet or salty, no chocolate)
                            - a couple dozen Powerbars in a variety of flavors
                            - small bags of local hard candy
                            - paperback books, especially if they're new volumes in a series he enjoys
                            - local newspapers for wrapping/stuffing, especially the Sunday color comics.

Small packages are easy to spread among backpacks or to hand out as military omiyage. If you get a chance to ask, he may want chewing tobacco or other "tradeables". (Nicotine is a popular stimulant but it's not always a good time to make lights and smoke.) As it turned out, I sent monthly sets of the above packages that were always useful for exchanging with buddies or for entertaining villagers. And now he likes li hing mui.

For those of you supporting nephews & neices, don't be surprised by the requests that they may not really wish to share with their own parents...
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post

When I was in the desert, they used other types of protection as well.

Oh, oh, not for THAT. For the barrel of the rifle.

Really.

Comment

Working...
                              X