Mainland friend won't 'fit in' here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainland friend won't 'fit in' here?

I have a friend visiting here next month from LA. I'm afraid this guy will totally not fit in. He's gonna drive like an ahole, honk, and talk relentlessly about 'how it is in the states' (ugh!). He's gonna want to tell people what a great, important job he has. He'll probably want to be treated 'special'. He will likely have his cellphone glued to his ear half the time. And he's very preoccupied with chasing women while he's here (he's also pushing 50 yrs old). I want to be able to hang out with him while he's here, but I also think that he's really going to annoy and embarass me!

Aaargh! How do you folks deal with it when you have a visitor like this guy?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: mainland friend won't 'fit in' here?

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    I have a friend visiting here next month from LA. I'm afraid this guy will totally not fit in. He's gonna drive like an ahole, honk, and talk relentlessly about 'how it is in the states' (ugh!). He's gonna want to tell people what a great, important job he has. He'll probably want to be treated 'special'. He will likely have his cellphone glued to his ear half the time. And he's very preoccupied with chasing women while he's here (he's also pushing 50 yrs old). I want to be able to hang out with him while he's here, but I also think that he's really going to annoy and embarass me!

Why don't you just show him what you wrote about him above. I'll bet that when he reads your true feelings about him as a friend, he'll not bother to come visit you.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Take him to Flat Island. The smell of birds should send him packing.

Comment

Friend? Really?
        What are his redeeming qualities?

Comment

Get Rid of him !

Comment

So how long is your friend staying here? It's a visit right as opposed to moving here?

Well I suspose if it's possible that you do the driving since (a) you don't like his driving style and (b) is using the cell phone half the time.

Comment

aww, jeez! You guys have misunderstood. He is a very good person, and he and I have been friends for 10 years. He's a guy I like and respect. That being cleared up - sometimes you have friends whose personalities may be a little difficult sometimes in some situations. That doesn't mean that you don't like them. I certainly don't want to run him off! I just know this guy very well, and I think that he will have a tough time kicking back and fitting in.

Comment

I take it then this is your friend's first visit to Hawaii? From your postings so far you want to stick around with the friend but avoid huge crowds?

One suggestion would be going to the Ward Entertainment Complex during the weekday, maybe catch a mid-day movie as well. Walk around the Ward Center and Warehouse afterwards and have a late lunch there too.

Figure the price of a movie admission here might cause your friend to take notice of how it's done here.

Comment

Here's what I do with friends who visit for the first time. I set them up on a remote beach, in the shade, with a big cooler chock full of food and beverages, and preferably in a place out of cell phone range. Waipio works real well for this, especially on the far side of the river.

Leave them there for about 8 hours, or perhaps overnight. Turn occasionally, and baste generously. If that don't get them to 'see' Hawaii, nothing will.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Just lay it on the line and tell him he is making ALL tourists/haoles/mainlanders look like douche bags, and doing a great dis-service.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Hi! Sweetie!

Long time no look.

Call me and let's make arrangements so I can meet your friend.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

aww, jeez! You guys have misunderstood. He is a very good person, and he and I have been friends for 10 years. He's a guy I like and respect. That being cleared up - sometimes you have friends whose personalities may be a little difficult sometimes in some situations. That doesn't mean that you don't like them. I certainly don't want to run him off! I just know this guy very well, and I think that he will have a tough time kicking back and fitting in.
                        Hmmm...we understood, TG, and commented based on the info you gave us. There was no mention in you initial post about "like", "good person" or "respect". If he's such a good friend I'd think you should be able to talk to him about the differences between Hawaii and the mainland. If that doesn't work then take him to Makaha Beach for a little beach time!

Comment

Re: Mainland friend won't 'fit in' here?

Well, he might fit in Waikiki beachside.... lotsa people like him there, no?

Of course you already have plenty good suggestions....

But, what do you want to do?

1) Awe him with Hawai`i's beauty?
                          2) Convert him to a laid-back attitude?
                          3) Show him how great your life is?
                          4) Just have a good time?
                          5) Prevent him from 'making a?'

I recommend you consider your goals first, then select your strategy.
                          Last edited by Kaonohi; May 19, 2009, 10:41 AM. Reason: emphasis
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                            Well, he might fit in Waikiki beachside.... lotsa people like him there, no?...

4) Just have a good time?
                            5) Prevent him from 'making a?'

I recommend you consider your goals first, then select your strategy.
                            Yep, you got it. I guess we should probably just stick to Waikiki area.

Comment

I like timkona's idea of disconnecting your friend from the grid cold turkey. He'll probably go through withdrawl symptoms though. G'luck with him, TG :_)

BTW, who was the mainland guy who got beat to death for copping a feel at a Honolulu/Waikiki club?
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                              X