No announcement yet.

What the heck is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That Red Hill area estate above the freeway...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    This was an estate owned by .........(?) during the WW2 era and was used during that time by military brass and Govt. mucki-mucks with it's great view of Pearl Harbor as spock-em-out pow wow planning digs, and was used afterwards in at least one famous movie .........(?) with John Wayne and those types.
    Heard it was sold again recently.
    Just read some more and I believe this was part of The Damon Estate - http://wikimapia.org/11909685/Damon-Estate
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Re: What the heck is this?

Originally posted by musubi View Post
      Burl, "Wat Dat?" was one of my favorite columns in the Star-Bulletin!
      Not liked by SB editors, though. They killed it. I thought it was fun.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
        Just read some more and I believe this was part of The Damon Estate - http://wikimapia.org/11909685/Damon-Estate
        Probably so since that area was all part of what used to be called Damon Tract.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
          Probably so since that area was all part of what used to be called Damon Tract.
          I just guessed.
          Instinct cutting in again....
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
            1468 ALA LONOMEA
            Owner - "PAPAKOLEA ESTATES LTD PART"
            Address - C/OMOVIE MUSEUM 3566 HARDING AVE STE 4
            Total Parcel Area - 5.232 Acres
            Purchased on 12/31/1992 for $5,000,000

Very interesting...
            Does a Damon descendent still own the Movie Museum?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Does a Damon descendent still own the Movie Museum?
              *growls at the requirement of a post to have more than ten characters*

oui.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I got lost somewhere amongst all the url.

K-den. Red Hill area by the Damon Estates get plenny so-called hills with entrances. They were made during the war. My daddy worked on them. Storage facilities. Das all I know.

Must get ukapila things inside...leave it alone. It's Govt. Property.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  I used to do a column in the Star-Bulletin called Wat Dat? that answers some of these questions. Here are some:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/spe.../watdat95.html
                  Great column! Thanks for the link!

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                  Don't know about the other sites, but I'm guessing that what you saw above Makakilo was probably Camp Timberline. From the FAQ's on their website:

"Where is Camp Timberline?

Camp Timberline is located 3 miles above Makakilo, at an elevation of 1,600 feet."

http://www.camptimberlinehawaii.com/faqs
                  Interesting. I'd never even heard of Camp Timberline.

I looked at their website and their camp map, and I don't think the entire Pahlehua St. area is the camp. I'm starting to think these buildings are private residences.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    I got lost somewhere amongst all the url.

K-den. Red Hill area by the Damon Estates get plenny so-called hills with entrances. They were made during the war. My daddy worked on them. Storage facilities. Das all I know.

Must get ukapila things inside...leave it alone. It's Govt. Property.

Auntie Lynn
                    The Navy built a set of giant fuel storage tanks in underground chambers underneath Red Hill; that's probably what your daddy worked on. They're considered a real civil engineering feat. http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/umrcour...ks-revised.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                      There's a big metal door about 4' off the ground here. I've been told there's pumping equipment behind this door, but it's surprising how many people never notice the door.
                      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=21.301105,-157.833975
                      Yep. The Oahu Storm Water Management Program Plan [pdf] says: "The final sub-program provides assistance to HDOT Highways personnel who have responsibility for maintaining the storm water pump station at the H-1 Freeway Punahou Street overpass." I've definitely noticed the door. Always imagined someone stepping out from the other side and getting quite a surprise.
                      Originally posted by D'Alani
                      It probably is a pumping station or electrical station. They had to excavate when they built that portion of the freeway to go under Punahou St.
                      Yep. Note also that Makiki Stream is actually directed even further underground at this point. So in addition to stormwaters, there are other reasons why a lot of infrastructure is needed around there to deal with water.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; May 21, 2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                        The Navy built a set of giant fuel storage tanks in underground chambers underneath Red Hill; that's probably what your daddy worked on. They're considered a real civil engineering feat. http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/umrcour...ks-revised.pdf
                        Wow! I'm fifty-three years old and now understand what is behind those big doors ~ what my daddy worked on many years ago.

Mahalo for the link. Awesome.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          Well, sure, there are probably all kinds of mysterious metal doors on base, but the door I'm talking about opens 4' above H1 at one of its busiest spots. (Under the Punahou St. bridge.)
                          http://archives.starbulletin.com/96/...es/stuffs.html
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Buzz knows what the heck this is?

Buzz, you no ka oi!

You get other secrets to share????
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

What about those big steel doors in the side of the hill on Kalanianaole Highway when you go past the Makapuu Lookout? Are they secret military underground bunkers, or something?

Comment

Is the Palehua Road thing the Mauna Kapu station?
                                Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X