Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Islam Day - Hawaii Politicians just plain crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam Day - Hawaii Politicians just plain crazy?

they voted to have an islamic day (sept 24, why not just make it sept 11)

but no catholic day? no Jewish day, No other religion day that really makes up hawaii..

I guess politics in America is being bough by Osama Bin Laden - the only people i trust now is the NRA
    California Information - places to visit and Things To Do in California

Re: Is Hawaii Politicians just plain crazy

Originally posted by kthor View Post

but no catholic day? no Jewish day, No other religion day that really makes up hawaii..
    Any questions/concerns on any Resolution/Bill? Call.

House Members:
    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/...rs/members.asp
    Senators:
    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/...rs/members.asp
    Last edited by 1stwahine; May 20, 2009, 10:36 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We have known for quite some time that politicians here are crazy, and we are crazy too, cause we elect them.

This time they forgot about separation of church and state.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

There's April 8 (Buddha Day) and March 21 (Baha'i New Year's Day). Actually March 21 is Persian New Year AND the Zoroastrian New Year, so that serves as a multipurpose holiday that perhaps should be renamed. Good Friday is a Christian holiday treated as a state Holiday in Hawaii. So all they're missing now is a Jewish and a Hindu holiday (although, Gautama Buddha is believed to be a 9th incarnation of Vishnu).
        Last edited by Vanguard; May 20, 2009, 01:47 PM.

Comment

they voted to have an islamic day (sept 24, why not just make it sept 11) but no catholic day? no Jewish day, No other religion day that really makes up hawaii. I guess politics in America is being bough by Osama Bin Laden
          Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
          There's April 8 (Buddha Day) and March 21 (Baha'i New Year's Day). Actually March 21 is Persian New Year AND the Zoroastrian New Year, so that serves as a multipurpose holiday that perhaps should be renamed. Good Friday is a Christian holiday treated as a state Holiday in Hawaii.
          And let’s not forget Christmas and Easter, also a Christian (including Catholic) holiday recognized by the state. So technically, Catholics have had three state holidays for quite some time, while Muslims have had zero until now.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

There should be a Jehovah's Witnesses' Day because they don't hurt people.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Double-check that with sansei, would ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Double-check that with sansei, would ya?
                naughty naughty naughty
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  And let’s not forget Christmas and Easter, also a Christian (including Catholic) holiday recognized by the state. So technically, Catholics have had three state holidays for quite some time, while Muslims have had zero until now.
                  BINGO!

This whole thing reminds me of people who point to February being Black History month and complain about there being no White History month in this country.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There's April 8 (Buddha Day) and March 21 (Baha'i New Year's Day). Actually March 21 is Persian New Year AND the Zoroastrian New Year, so that serves as a multipurpose holiday that perhaps should be renamed. Good Friday is a Christian holiday treated as a state Holiday in Hawaii. So all they're missing now is a Jewish and a Hindu holiday (although, Gautama Buddha is believed to be a 9th incarnation of Vishnu).
                    Are these 'official' State recognized days? Certainly Good Friday is... this is the ONLY State I've lived in that imposes a religious holiday on everyone - and is certainly a violation of the concept of separation of church and state (though it evidently isn't a legal violation). Where's the ACLU when you need them?

I guess Hallows (aka Halloween) is a 'recognized' Pagan recognition day, but no day off. March 21st is also one of their holidays, and Easter being close enough I think this is indeed a shared day of recognition.

Christmas is a secular holiday - or should I say a commercial holiday? I don't think it counts, in spite of the name, except to those who celebrate it religiously.

The state is public - for us all. The religions are private, and religious holidays should not be imposed universally. Recognition days? Don't really mean nothing, it's just political pandering. Do we get a day off work for Islam Day?

Now THIS is a holiday I could sink my teeth into!
                    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...lls/SB109_.pdf
                    Last edited by Kaonohi; May 22, 2009, 03:20 PM. Reason: Adding new holiday
                    ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      Are these 'official' State recognized days?
                      It appears that they are not.

I doubt that Islam Day will become a 'state holiday' in the distinct manner that Good Friday or Christmas are.
                      Last edited by Vanguard; May 22, 2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Holidays vs. recognition days... got a list?

It appears that they are not.

I doubt that Islam Day will become a 'state holiday' in the distinct manner that Good Friday or Christmas are.
                        I tried to find a list of official "Cultural Regognition Days" for Hawaii, and could not.
                        Anyone with good search skills? I'd LOVE to know them, and even recognize them, somehow. Broaden my horizons, so to speak.
                        Last edited by Kaonohi; May 22, 2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: Needed new title.
                        ~ ~

Comment

Re: Holidays vs. recognition days... got a list?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          I tried to find a list of official "Cultural Regognition Days" for Hawaii, and could not.
                          Anyone with good search skills? I'd LOVE to know them, and even recognize them, somehow. Broaden my horizons, so to speak.
                          http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur.../HRS_0008-.htm

Comment

Re: Holidays vs. recognition days... got a list?

Vanguard has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Thanks for that reference.

I was only a page away when I gave up!

I wonder what the one that was repealed was... and why they have both Buddha Day and Bodhi day.

Oh well, who can figure politicians?

Live long, and prosper.
                            ~ ~

Comment

Re: Islam Day - Hawaii Politicians just plain crazy?

I've long thought Thanksgiving should be considered a "religious" holiday --- after all, to whom were the Pilgrims supposedly giving thanks, the Indians in the 'hood? (Yeah - the later waves of Euro-settlers sure did thank 'em over the years, almost thanked 'em outta existence.)

Comment

Working...
                              X