No announcement yet.

HPD Police Chief Boisse Correa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD Police Chief, Boisse Correa - Honolulu's loss.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    His crackdown on media releases was appropriate - when cops release opinions rather than facts, it causes problems
    This is the first I’ve heard that Boisse cracked down on media releases. Can you confirm this? If what you say is true, it proves the chief is extremely incompetent, considering the only three officers on the entire force authorized to fax or email a media release (that I know of) during Boisse’s tenure are Maj. Frank Fujii, HPD media liaison and Sgt. Kim Buffett (Crimestoppers), and her predecessor, Lt. Letha DeCaires.

This would definitely be front page news if it turns out to be true, but I think you may be confused. In any event, if you read my post carefully, I was referring specifically to media interviews conducted at the crime scene. Typically, this involves reporters asking questions of the officer in command of said scene. I don’t think that other stuff you brought up is relevant, but if you can connect the dots, please do.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Can you confirm this?
      Go speak to TuNnL - I was referring to his/her allegations.

Seems you don't like the HPD police chief very much, do you?
      Your last post sounds like you're out for blood.

I'm sure you have your reasons; vive democracy!
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Go speak to TuNnL - I was referring to his/her allegations.
        The only “allegation” I made is a confirmed fact which you can corroborate with any police officer or professional reporter employed during Correa’s tenure. For the third time, that fact is that Correa banned anyone below the rank of “major” from conducting media interviews at the crime scene for a period of months.

You, Kaonohi, on the other hand, claimed that Correa cracked down on media releases, a claim which you now seem to be backtracking from. Hope this clears things up.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Losing Boisse Correa as Police Chief is all Honolulu's loss.

The only “allegation” I made is a confirmed fact which you can corroborate with any police officer or professional reporter employed during Correa’s tenure. For the third time, that fact is that Correa banned anyone below the rank of “major” from conducting media interviews at the crime scene for a period of months.

You, Kaonohi, on the other hand, claimed that Correa cracked down on media releases, a claim which you now seem to be backtracking from. Hope this clears things up.
          Fact is, T, that I just didn't know there was any difference! I thought I was just restating your statement, which I called an allegation because I didn't know the facts about it - it was something I heard about from your post.

I'm not educated about the difference between the two (though I think I have a better idea now), I think I probably used a term that had more meaning for you than I. Sorry if it got your hackles up - no offence or misleading intended.

Still, I think that crime-scene interviews need control. An assumption from a cop that has had no training in media communications and may not even know what really happened (which is common until a crime is fully investigated) can do more harm than good. I'm OK if you disagree....
          ~ ~

Comment

Re: Losing Boisse Correa as Police Chief is all Honolulu's loss.

Still, I think that crime-scene interviews need control. An assumption from a cop that has had no training in media communications and may not even know what really happened (which is common until a crime is fully investigated) can do more harm than good. I'm OK if you disagree....
            I think you are right Kaonohi. One wrong word from a police officer could destroy the prosecution’s case against a criminal especially if broadcast on the local news. When an officer speaks it is usually taken as an official statement from the department.

We probably don’t have any idea how many cases have been compromised by an officer’s indiscrete statement to the news reporters that are skilled at dragging something out of anybody they can.

Chief Correa’s was probably just trying to get control of the situation and set the rules high until he could get the lower ranks trained in proper responses to the news media.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Still, I think that crime-scene interviews need control. An assumption from a cop that has had no training in media communications and may not even know what really happened (which is common until a crime is fully investigated) can do more harm than good.
              First of all, you yourself are making a lot of assumptions in this statement. Namely, that a cop would even utter an “assumption” to a journalist. Call me naïve, but I would think one of Honolulu’s finest who excelled enough in police investigations to be promoted to sergeant, would not say anything that wasn’t confirmed fact — particularly to a television news crew shoving a microphone in his face and a blinding light in his eye. If he does, he clearly doesn’t deserve the rank. The second assumption you are making is that an HPD sergeant has no training in media communications. Do you know this for a fact, or are you engaging in baseless speculation like the following HTer:

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              We probably don’t have any idea how many cases have been compromised by an officer’s indiscrete statement to the news reporters that are skilled at dragging something out of anybody they can.

Chief Correa’s was probably just trying to get control of the situation and set the rules high until he could get the lower ranks trained in proper responses to the news media.
              Indiscrete? I thought discretion was part of the job description. Isn’t discretion what separates a police officer from a cold-blooded murderer? Oh, I forgot — we still haven’t even got that right.

Anyhow, it’s an interesting theory, but is refuted by simple logic. A reporters ability to “skillfully drag something out of anybody” is only effective if the sergeant doesn’t begin the interview by saying “I’m not taking any questions.” U.S. Presidents do it all the time, particularly the one that just left office.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Do you know this for a fact, or are you engaging in baseless speculation like the following HTer:
                Yeah, TuNnL, I'm just engaging in baseless speculation.

And I'm not going to submit to your 'baiting' me into stupid baseless arguments.

We both know that before Chief Correa's influence HPD had to use a third of a thousand bullets to take down one suspect in Kane`ohe, trapped in a pickup truck with a shotgun, a woman and a baby, when his truck couldn't even move cause it was jammed in mud and fences. The perp was even out of ammo. And this wasn't their only F-U!

Before Boisse, HPD was the closest thing to the Keystone Cops in both hemispheres. I guess you must be an ex-cop that Boisse fired? Or what?

I would call you naïve, but I don't know you. It would be naïve of me to say so...
                I do know that containment of police comments that could be interpreted as 'official' is critical to investigations. And I know the persistence of HNL reporters.

I tried to be nice to you, but the gloves are off. Prove your allegations or buzz-off.
                ~ ~

Comment

That was inappropriately rude of me, TuNnL. You are entitled to your opinions and differing points of view enhance the experience on HT. Please pardon me if you were offended by anything I wrote.
                  And though I was offended by your message, I pardon you. This is evidently a very emotional subject for you and it's not my business why.
                  ~ ~

Comment

It's worse and more corrupt than we thought!

Looking for something else I came upon this Advertiser Online Article which said Sooooo much more than the printed newspaper.

It talked about corrupt police officers, "Honolulu police officers who abused their powers to protect an illegal gambling business and in the process became part of a criminal saga that led to federal charges against more than 35 people — including five former officers who were eventually found guilty."

It talked about the universal praise Boisse got from the mayor and many others as Honolulu's crime rate fell to a 35-year low.

The only complainants were the officers: SHOPO. They didn't like getting their 'special privileges' taken away. They couldn't handle being treated like City Employees. They didn't like having to obey the law.

What's that called when the police are the criminals? Oh yes, a police state.

Boisse Correra was railroaded. He couldn't positively commit to a 5-year contract? When Honolulu elected Mufi we elected him for four years, now he's going to quit and desert us to run for mayor? (I hope he gets what he deserves.) That's called a 'double standard.'

Read the article. Realize that we are losing the best thing that has happened to HPD - ever.

I can only hope the next chief continues Boisse's policies - no matter what Bob Jones says about HPD's Code of Silence.

It's much more we are losing than we thought.
                    ~ ~

Comment

Comments from Peter Boylan, Hon Advertiser

Sorry I'm beating a dead horse here. I know there's nothing I can do to change it, but I'm ashamed of Honolulu politics and ashamed of 75% of HPD. This is a case of the cart pulling the horse, and the cart is full of contraband.

Where else in the world would the actions of the workers serve to oust the most efficient leader they ever had? One more year might have been enough....

Excerpts from an article by Peter Boylan: (Emphasis mine)

-Quoted from the original article:-

Honolulu Police Commission
                      "We want to thank Chief Correa for his 39 years of service. Under his leadership the Honolulu Police Department has excelled." said Christine H. H. Camp, chairwoman of the commission.

SHOPO:
                      The State of Hawaii Organization of Police Officers had asked the police commission in April to end Correa's tenure.
                      SHOPO officials had long categorized Correa as an authoritarian leader who did not welcome input from the rank and file. They denounced his discipline policies and accused him of bullying subordinates into decisions.
                      Correa always maintained that he respected his officers but had to make decisions that put public safety first.
                      "We've said all along that we didn't want his contract continued. This isn't personal, it's just business," said Tenari R. Maafala, SHOPO president. "Chief Correa is a great person, but we've long disagreed with his style of administration."

Mayor:
                      Mayor Mufi Hannemann thanked Correa for his service yesterday and said he is confident the police commission will find a worthy replacement.
                      "Boisse Correa did an outstanding job as Honolulu police chief," Hannemann said.

Correa was recently given high marks during his annual evaluation for his efforts leading to Honolulu's crime rate hitting a 35-year low last year.

Under Correa's watch, crime in Honolulu fell to its lowest point since the mid-1970s, falling for the fourth consecutive year. Violent crime decreased, and drug and drunken-driving arrests rose as Correa put more officers on the street. Patrol beats are staffed at their highest level in a decade and the department has earned international accreditation. Correa also expanded the department's community relations section and put officers on call 24/7 to respond to media requests.

-End Quote-

Is the Honolulu Police Commission crazy? Or intimidated. Maybe 'bullied into their decision?'

That's it, I'll shut up now.

Last edited by Kaonohi; June 17, 2009, 03:56 PM.
                      ~ ~

Comment

Re: HPD Police Chief Boisse Correa

I had no problem with his leadership. Why change when things are fine as they are on the street level.

Comment

A horse is a horse

I can only hope the next chief continues Boisse's policies - no matter what Bob Jones says about HPD's Code of Silence.
                          While I agree you are continuing to beat a dead horse, I have to commend Bob for that awesome article he wrote. It’s rare when Frankie’s Market, myself and Bob would agree on anything (particularly when the outspoken columnist insults HT), but I’ll go out on a limb and say that the three of us agree on some of the issues highlighted in that particular column.

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” — Thomas Jefferson, 1791

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                          X