Thread: Your fish w/mayo recipes, please

Default Your fish w/mayo recipes, please

I tend to forget the mayo, just stuff with veggies and coat w/beer, then smell and smile.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Default Re: Your fish w/mayo recipes, please

one ubiquitous local style fish w/mayo recipe is:

on a cleaned, de-pin-boned, lightly peppered/salted salmon filet, spread a generous amount of mayo. sprinkle with finely chopped portuguese sausage. broil to desired doneness.

then there is seafood dynamite, for which many versions abound. here's one.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Yup, when I think of fish with mayo, I think of salmon but I have never had it with finely chopped portuguese sausage. Thanks cynsaligia! I'll have to try that

Is the tuna fish sandwich the most popular lunch dish?

Tiger prawns with Garlic Mayo (We call it Ailioli) Crunchy bread and then eaten with your fingers. Yuuuuuummmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    one ubiquitous local style fish w/mayo recipe is:

on a cleaned, de-pin-boned, lightly peppered/salted salmon filet
    Mine is similar... I take a portioned size hunk of some tuna-family fish or some mahi mahi, raw and deboned. Then dredge it thru some low-sodium shoyu. slather on the mayo, and BBQ til desired doneness. Ono! Killer smell, too. mmmn.

Anyone here gotta good Spicey Ahi Poke recipe. THe one at Foodland Kaneohe kind. Looks like they put mayo in it that's why I asked here. Thanks.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by cezanne View Post
    Anyone here gotta good Spicey Ahi Poke recipe. THe one at Foodland Kaneohe kind. Looks like they put mayo in it that's why I asked here. Thanks.
    i don't have a recipe myself but if i am not mistaken, such recipes often start with mayo and sriracha (chili garlic sauce). both mayo and sriracha are relatively inexpensive so maybe you can start with that as a base then doctor it up with shoyu, some sort of acid like lemon or whatever vinegars you fancy, maybe even some worchestershire sauce. once you come up with a sauce recipe you've created and like, then try it on ahi or whatever else you choose. sometimes i like a sauce like that to dip steak fries in but that's for another thread.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Never tried the spicy poki there, but for me the standard ahi poki at Foodland is the very best, with the right mix of gr. onions, chili, soy, and sesame/oil/seed. About the only thing I find good at Foodland...

per cezzane; maybe they use wasabi in the mix?
    Similarly, what do they use at Tamashiro Mkt. for the spicy factor with thier salmon belly poki? Killer!

[quote=cynsaligia;234187]i don't have a recipe myself but if i am not mistaken, such recipes often start with mayo and sriracha (chili garlic sauce). both mayo and sriracha are relatively inexpensive so maybe you can start with that as a base...quote]

That's what they use at Safeway, mayo and sriracha is also good as a dip, add some tobiko and you're good to go.

Roll Mop Herrings

Never saw this in Hawai'i but it's popular over here.

The herrings are rolled up and put into a large jar of vinegar and pickling spice. Left for at least a day in the fridge to marinate, they are then served on a bed of crunchy salad.

Mayo and chili mix is served seperately as a dip. Eaten with crunchy bread, it's great but may be a bit spicey for some.

(Cooks tip > Have a few banananas nearby, they cool your mouth more than water.)
    Last edited by Barry; June 16th, 2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is the tuna fish sandwich the most popular lunch dish?
    I was gonna say-
    One can tuna
    Glob of mayo
    Spoonful of relish
    Stir
    Plop on bread

Tada!!

Now, if you wanna get fancy, add some diced apple, celery, and hard boiled egg. Mmm.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    i don't have a recipe myself but if i am not mistaken, such recipes often start with mayo and sriracha (chili garlic sauce)...
    Danke. Looks like they got those itty bitty orange fish eggs in it too.

When there's potluck, someone almost always brings Furikake Salmon. Take a slab of salmon, sprinkle pepper and powdered garlic, spread mayo and cover with LOTS of furikake. Bake until medium done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
    When there's potluck, someone almost always brings Furikake Salmon. Take a slab of salmon, sprinkle pepper and powdered garlic, spread mayo and cover with LOTS of furikake. Bake until medium done.
    Had that for dinner just last night - was the first time I had ever tried it.