Pixar's "Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixar's "Up"

Saw it this afternoon in 3-D. Frankly, you don't need the 3-D. It's a beautiful film in all senses of the word. Humor, yes, action too, but man... it's the most unlikely love story, most unlikely buddy movie, and most unlikely road trip flick I've seen. Pixar took a lot of chances with this movie, but they all paid off.

I was doubtful they could make me like talking cars. Or feel bad for a robot. But, "Cars" was fun and "Wall-E" was great. Here Pixar finally moves to human characters ("Incredibles" notwithstanding), with a grumpy old protagonist to boot. Yet, once again, they defied expectations.

Sure, I liked the little kid. Refreshingly, a Disney character who's mother is not dead or absent (it's the father this time), and an Asian face who's ethnicity isn't remarked upon once. But the story of Carl? There's more depth there than in most films with flesh-and-blood actors.

The musical score by Michael Giacchino (composer behind many other great scores, including "LOST") was, at times, easily half of the magic of "Up."

Re: Pixar's "Up"

I saw it this morning and it was beautifully done. But don't forget the dogs ~ the dogs were great!

Comment

DH and I took the girls and their two friends to see this today at Koko Marina for the matinee.
      Love it, BUT, hate getting my emotional scars poked at, which happened a few times during the show. It was well done. Live life while you're alive, with as many colorful balloons as possible.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Albert and I saw the 3-D version of Up this morning at the Ward Theater.

I like the character of Dug. And I do think the character of Charles Muntz sort of looks like Terrance Stamp.
        Last edited by helen; May 31, 2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Watched it today with DS; enjoyed the humor and the sweet story line. I found DS laughing at more than just the kids' humor.

He even picked up on a quick bit of humor in one of the last scenes:

"Red one" "Blue one" "Gray one." ("Mama, did you get that? Dogs are colorblind!")

Comment

That's a good catch! I was enjoying those lines too much as a "Star Wars" reference to think logically. This movie is full of all kinds of shout-outs to other movies, a treasure trove for film nerds.

Comment

This is definitely the best yet of these new 3-D movies and I thoroughly recommend you see it at an early-in-the-day showing, because the delighted, enthusiastic response of the youngsters in the audience makes it even more enjoyable.

First class, absolutely firsl class.

Comment

A friend wanted to see this yesterday, so I went, knowing nothing about the movie. I generally don't like animated kids' movies. But- wow. Wow. This one was so well done. My eyes tear up a little thinking about certains parts, but other parts had me laughing out loud, which is something I rarely do in movies. Definitely recommend. There isn't any "adult humor" like so many kids' movies have these days either, so yay Pixar on that front.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I love these:

Easter Eggs in Pixar's Up
                  The cute little pink teddy bear underneath the bed of sequence where Carl’s house floats by a child’s bedroom window. Up producer Jonas Rivera confirmed recently that “under her bed is one of the new stars of ‘Toy Story 3’.”

Comment

we saw the movie this past saturday... very good movie.

i'm telling you the first 15 minutes or so - i almost lost it!

joel

Comment

Saw this one with the kids - hands down one of the best movies I have seen in a LONG time. Very well done.

The kids were blown away. As we left the parking lot, the kids were still talking about the movie for an hour. "That was the best movie ever!" was said about 10 times in the car.

And I agree.

Comment

This touching story was first reported in the OC Register yesterday:

Pixar grants girl's dying wish to see 'Up'

Pixar gets my vote for being one of the best. companies. ever.
                        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Working...
                        X