Off-label uses of products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-label uses of products

i want to know what products HTers use in a way that the product was not originally meant for, like toothpaste or hydrocortisone for zits. the reason i'm asking is because i just heard of a new one: monistat anti-chafing gel as face primer!

here's an adweek article re off-label product use.

so, do you folks have any other products you use in ways that they weren't originally meant for? it doesn't have to be skin/cosmetic-related. goodness knows there's a whole host of off-label uses for baking soda and vinegar.

i'm going slightly off-topic in a topic starter i'm posting, but the whole visine-as-diarrhea-inducer is false...in fact, ingesting visine is quite dangerous.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: off-label uses of products

Interesting idea for a thread, cyn. I'm looking forward to the various uses. Here's what my memory can dredge up:

Preparation H - under eye de-puffer/wrinkle reducer! However, after lots of research I learned that the product for distribution in the U.S. doesn't contain the main ingredient that de-puffs! The Canadian product does!

Dawn - for dishes and for laundry. When I downsized to small space living I was looking for a dual purpose cleaner to cut back on packaging. I've used Dawn for both purposes for at least 10 years. I buy the big jug from Costco and it lasts for 9 months or so, probably longer. Very cost effective!

Dryer sheets - I cut them in half for use in the dryer and I place half a sheet between the mattress pad and bottom sheet when I change the bed.

Baking soda - use it to brush my teeth

Olive oil - apply it to wet arms and legs after a shower; probably the equivalent of 1/4 tsp. rubbed between my hands. I refuse to buy expensive, beautifully packaged lotions! I'd rather put that money towards the treat mentioned below!

Pretty Hands & Feet (I think that's the name!) - Great exfoliator! I use it on my face. Well, I did for years and years. Now that I'm hitting Medicare age I'm treating myself to a facial now and then!!!

Sunscreen - I use it in place of Armorall (sp?) on my car's dash. Works great and helps protect it from the sun's rays. I usually buy a high SPF, cheap bottle that's on sale.

Comment

cynsaligia: I'm a little off your topic here but your topic reminded me of products liability cases where the manufacturers wind up having to create elaborate warnings about the use of the product or possibly be held liable for harm that may be caused by the product being used in a way that the manufacturer could not have forseen (or create the warnings and then still be held liable *g*). I don't mean things like using a vinegar/water solution to wipe windows or mayo as a hair conditioner (I am not recommending the mayo thing, just saying that I've seen it suggested) but some really wacky uses for products. I know there are crazier examples but right now I can only think of a case where someone pulled open an oven door and stood on it as if it were a step-ladder to get stuff from a shelf. Oven door broke, person fell down and sued the maker of the oven for not warning people not to stand on the open oven door.

and now dating my age probably - how many of us remember (or were) asian girls using tape to make "double eyes"?

Comment

I use dental floss to truss chicken. I also use one of those adjustable steamer basket as a colander.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          ...and now dating my age probably - how many of us remember (or were) asian girls using tape to make "double eyes"?
          Which reminds me of what my mother said yesterday. My youngest son definitely inherited our pake genes and she tells me, "Good thing he not a girl yeah? He'd have to use da tape to make double eyelid."

I said, "I don't think Asian girls do that anymore Mom"

Back on topic, once I ran out of hair gel and had to put my boy's unruly hair into his usual ponytail with something to tame it. I ending up using a very light, nicely scented (not floral) lotion and it worked better than hair gel! He had no stray hairs at the end of the day and when he took his hair out of his ponytail it was super soft.
          Last edited by Lei K; June 1, 2009, 06:34 AM. Reason: Annnnnd back on topic...
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Stale beer as a hair conditioner.

When my youngest nephew was born at home (which was not in the plans - the labor just went too quickly for them to get to the hospital), my brother-in-law used dental floss to tie off the umbilical cord before cutting.

Like tutusue, I used baking soda (with a pinch of salt) as a toothpaste - learned that one from my grandmother.

Comment

Plug in a laptop running windows into an Xbox 360 to use as a wireless adapter. Beats buying the Xbox wireless adapter for $100.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Oxy10 acne cream and some sunlight removes sharpie ink from vinyl.

Dryer sheet resin will repel gnats and mosquitoes, good for dogs when the bugs are bugging em, just rub down their fur with the sheet.

Comment

My friend told me she uses a teaspoon of baking soda in her shampoo which acts as a clarifying agent to remove build up of mousse etc it's also good for after being in a chlorinated pool.

I use toothpaste to polish silver, it works! I learned that on the old "Quear Eye" show, I miss that program although I think it ran it's course.

Comment

Model rocketry tends to use products not intended for the hobby. For instance, emory boards, normally used to trim nails are used to clean the clips that are used to attach to the rocket motor ignitor wire.

Baby powder is used to make the plastic parachutes not to stick together and it also makes a nice puff cloud when the rocket ejects it's parachute.

Sealable food containers made by Rubbermaid or Tupperware can be used to store model rocket engines (keeps out the mositure).

Fishing snap swivels are used on parachutes. You easily change the parachute due to damage or use a smaller parachute if the wind is stronger than usual.

Comment

Before buying that tube of brass/copper polish, consider using those extra packets of hot sauce you didn't use from your last visit to Taco Bell. Works like a charm. If you don't believe me, try it on a dirty penny.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

WD40 for soap scum on shower door and walls. I've also heard about using a non-lye based oven foamy cleaner like Easy Off Fume Free Max for scum on shower doors and walls.

RainX car wax applied to the shower doors after the scum is off keeps it from accumulating as quickly.

Just be careful to clean any of the slippery stuff off the floor so there's no accidents.

{edit} I have used engine degreaser on a friend's tub before...it was a rental and they got in with no security if they did the cleanup. That tub was NASTY!! But it came out clean except for the chipped fiberglass.
                        Last edited by Peshkwe; June 2, 2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          WD40 for soap scum on shower door and walls. I've also heard about using a non-lye based oven foamy cleaner like Easy Off Fume Free Max for scum on shower doors and walls.[...]
                          This doesn't involve an off label use, but to keep the soap scum from becoming a problem in the first place or in the future, use only liquid soaps while showering/bathing. Both body and face soaps come in liquid form. I've adhered to this practice for the 2 years I've owned my town condo and for the last 8-10 years at Makaha and I have not had to de-scum even once! I have handheld shower heads at both places and do a quick rinse on the tiles at the end of a shower. No more cleaning needed...seriously. When you think about the consistency of liquid and bar soaps it's easy to understand this theory!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Before buying that tube of brass/copper polish...
                            And if you already DO have a can of Brasso, it can work wonders on scratched compact discs; used it at work and at home for many years.

Comment

I used empty pizza boxes as a doorstop in college.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X