Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-label uses of products

Default Re: off-label uses of products

How about wen small kid time with two empty cans attached by a long string to make a telephone? We had to stop when a telemarketer called, and asked if I was satisfied with my long distance provider.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Red face absent minded professor

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Thanks, cyn and pesh. $100. is worth it to me. Three years ago I had the interior liner of the retractable sunroof replaced to the tune of $250. I really don't want to repeat that magnified by at least 5!!! TIA for the name and contact info, cyn.

balls. totally forgot to get the info for you, tutusue. i was rushing to get some reports done. will email my work acct right after posting here. mea culpa!
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Default Re: absent minded professor

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    balls. totally forgot to get the info for you, tutusue. i was rushing to get some reports done. will email my work acct right after posting here. mea culpa!
    No problem...whenever's it's convenient.

Default Re: absent minded professor

No problem...whenever's it's convenient.
    the number I have is 2254631. i didn't write the guy's name or company down but i found him via an ad he placed in the honolulu weekly back in 2003 or 2004. nice guy. came to my then-condo in makiki to rip out the old headliner and put in a new one. got her done in an hour and charged either $75 or $95 but definitely less than $100 for my saturn sl2.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Thanks, cyn. I appreciate your help. A google search turned up that number belongs to Headliners Mobile Service (Tom). Nice guy but he doesn't work on my make of car so he gave me a referral. I will now fasten my seat belt and call the referral!

ooh! just remembered that cheap hair conditioner works really well as a shaving cream substitute.

Ok, cyn, now you're forcing me to admit that I use shampoo, not only for it's main purpose, but also as a body wash and shave cream! It works just fine! The only exception is face soap. I love Cetaphil (liquid) and won't give it up. See what small space living does?

Ok, cyn, now you're forcing me to admit that I use shampoo, not only for it's main purpose, but also as a body wash and shave cream! It works just fine! The only exception is face soap. I love Cetaphil (liquid) and won't give it up. See what small space living does?
    oh, then let me direct you to beautybrains.com, where they've had conversations about the cross-use of such products. i'd give you the exact links but i'm off to meet a friend.

enjoy a quiet evening without any more heartburn-inducing posts from me!

oh, then let me direct you to beautybrains.com, where they've had conversations about the cross-use of such products. i'd give you the exact links but i'm off to meet a friend.
    I'll check it out. Thx.
    enjoy a quiet evening without any more heartburn-inducing posts from me!
    Hmmm...that implies I allow your posts to negatively impact me. They don't. What makes you think they do?

oh, then let me direct you to beautybrains.com, where they've had conversations about the cross-use of such products[...]
    For those of you interested in checking this web site, it's www.thebeautybrains.com
    Cool! This site approves of the shampoo cross use. Someone even mentioned she uses shampoo in place of laundry detergent! I'm gonna give that some serious thought once my 90 oz. jug of Dawn is pau!

...and for more on this subject...
    http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2009-06-09/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    ...and for more on this subject...
    http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2009-06-09/index.html
    So *that's* why my hair is falling out and my teeth have soap scum!

Thanks, cyn. I appreciate your help. A google search turned up that number belongs to Headliners Mobile Service (Tom). Nice guy but he doesn't work on my make of car so he gave me a referral. I will now fasten my seat belt and call the referral!
    I called the referral and received a very reasonable quote. Yay! Now, to stay on topic, I wonder what I can use the old, torn out headliner for?!

I called the referral and received a very reasonable quote. Yay! Now, to stay on topic, I wonder what I can use the old, torn out headliner for?!

ugh, while i have some fanciful suggestions, none are practical or appealing.

more off-label use hints: vaseline for non-skin care needs, like lubing mechanical parts. and a teaspoon of vinegar in shampoo to act as a clarifier and help in removing product build up. also, nail polish to remove permanent pen marks on hard surfaces (as long as they're not painted or varnished--test in an unnoticeable area first!). freshly cooked rice as an on-the-spot substitute to use on paper when your bottle of elmer's glue has hardened.

This post from Amati reminded me of a product with a strange off lable use.

Massengill's Douche

Use the floral scented chemically stuff (not the 'natural' vinegar type) for killing the smell of cat pee and for de-skunking dogs.

Powdered douche made into a paste with some hot water (think of mixing Coleman's hot mustard) is excellent for closing up deep cuts and wounds on dogs and cats.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Powdered douche made into a paste with some hot water (think of mixing Coleman's hot mustard) is excellent for closing up deep cuts and wounds on dogs and cats.
    I've heard that as well, though trichotine douche powder has become very hard to find, apparently - they have stopped manufacturing it.

The AFK adds "Sweet 'n' Low" to hair-coloring dye, claiming that it decreases scalp irritation.

I'm reading Marie Osmond's latest memoir and in it she mentions several times that when she's in a rush, she uses a black sharpie pen in lieu of eyeliner and mascara and to highlight the mole on her face. Not that I'm recommending that anyone try that. I don't get how using a sharpie is all that much faster than using eyeliner and mascara.

And speaking of Sharpies, I use a brown one to touch up scuffs on my brown shoes....and a black one for black shoes. Way easier than shoe polish.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Good one, SG. I, too, use Sharpies for double-duty and have about 10 colors on hand to touch-up a scratch on a table or laminate surface, an accidental bleach spot on clothing, to change small areas of silver or brass on light fixtures to black. Endless uses, really, but I can't imagine using one around my eyes. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    And speaking of Sharpies, I use a brown one to touch up scuffs on my brown shoes....and a black one for black shoes. Way easier than shoe polish.
    just recently did this with the heel of one of my black pumps. if you look at it closely, you'll see i used the sharpie to blacken the white plastic that comprises the structure of my heel under the leather or "leather" that covered it.

those of you who are frustrated by oily skin might like this tip for using milk of magnesia.

Vicks for footrot

Vicks for hemhoroids

Mayonnaise for headlice

Boric acid in water for pinkeye

Fishmeds for antibiotics

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Went to a friend's body shop and saw on his shelf boxes of Tampax Maxi-Pads. He tells me he uses it to apply rubbing compound and polishes to the cars he paints. Plus he says the adhesive strips on the back of each pad keeps it affixed to his latex glove so it doesn't slip off as he rubs the paint.

I pour canened spaghetti sauce over chicken then roast it in an oven at 350-deg for 35 minutes and get a pretty good chicken marinara. That's one great way to use the cheapest Del Monte canned spaghetti sauce when it goes on sale for a $1.29. I like the Garlic & Herb sauce. It's a simple, fast and effective way to make a great roasted chicken dinner on the fly. For added flavor I sprinkle brown sugar, oregano, crushed garlic, black pepper and parsely on top then roast. If you use a deep roasting pan I add some whole potatoes or even sweet potatoes (poke em with a fork to release the steam) on the side and stick the entire pan in the oven. Just over half an hour later you have roasted marinara chicken, potatoes and whatever other vegetables you can add (carrots, brocolli, etc...) and one pan to wash.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Went to a friend's body shop and saw on his shelf boxes of Tampax Maxi-Pads. He tells me he uses it to apply rubbing compound and polishes to the cars he paints. Plus he says the adhesive strips on the back of each pad keeps it affixed to his latex glove so it doesn't slip off as he rubs the paint.

I pour canened spaghetti sauce over chicken then roast it in an oven at 350-deg for 35 minutes and get a pretty good chicken marinara.[...]
    Craig...that's still using a food product as food. Now...if your friend used the spaghetti sauce as rubbing compound applied with maxi-pads...then you have a true off-label use!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast