McDonald's of Waiakamilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's of Waiakamilo

... but thank goodness, it's NOT a disappearing establishment!

I went there on Saturday 5/30. There was mucho signage saying that the Waiakamilo location would be closed for CONSTRUCTION starting June 1st.

My guess is that it's going to be a teardown and rebuild. I'll bet the end result will be something like the remodeled Keeaumoku or Makiki stores -- complete with a McCafe.

No Starbucks in that immediate area, so a McCafe should be welcome news for specialty coffeeholics.

Not sure when the projected completion date will be, so if anyone knows, please post!
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Re: McDonald's of Waiakamilo CLOSED 6/1/09...

Pheeeeew...this is my 2nd most frequented McD's location, when I'm on my way to Makaha. Not sure it needs to be shut down to turn it into a McCafe. Well, the Discovery Bay location wasn't shut down for that purpose. Hopefully Waiakamilo will have a better designed drive thru.

Comment

I swear, me and my high school friends built that Mickey Ds.

It will be interesting to see how they remodel it. The front side of the restaurant was underutilized when they dismantled the playground eqiupment. I suppose they could have set up tables and chairs there, but I notice that most of the newer McDs don't have outdoor dining areas. This renovation project will probably make use of that space and, as Sue pointed out, provides an opportunity to improve upon the drive-thru setup.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Pheeeeew...this is my 2nd most frequented McD's location, when I'm on my way to Makaha.
        Just curious, what's your #1?

Waikamilo's definitely in my top 3. I find it very convenient after going to Costco Iwilei, and also when I need to make a "fast food run." Lots of parking, easy in and out from Dillingham Blvd, plus lots of options nearby for the people who crave variety: Taco Bell, Bob's BBQ, Burger King, Popeye's, Zippy's.

Not sure it needs to be shut down to turn it into a McCafe.
        No, I'm thinking the closure is so they can completely demolish the old restaurant and completely rebuild with a currrent design package. McCafe will just be an added feature to try and capture "new" revenue from Starbucks' target market.

Well, the Discovery Bay location wasn't shut down for that purpose.
        Disco Bay SHUT DOWN? When?!?

Hopefully Waiakamilo will have a better designed drive thru.
        We can only hope!
        Unfortunately, the store footprint is pretty compact, so my fear is that it will end up being a single lane wraparound D/T (like Kamehameha Shopping Ctr & Nimitz/Puuhale). I try to avoid those like the plague during peak hours because it always seems to take FOREVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Whoa... like are we talking 1970's? Or after?
          And from which side of the counter?
          i.e.: If you were behind the counter, you probably know both meanings of the term "cheese call," heh.

But now I'm dating myself.

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
            Just curious, what's your #1?[...]
            Discovery Bay (altho' that's slipped in the rankings since it went from corp. owned to a franchise store. The prices were jacked up, in some cases doubled. Not happy...huh uh!!!
            #3 would be a toss up between Waianae, Nanakuli and Beretania
            [...] Disco Bay SHUT DOWN? When?!?
            Nope! It did NOT shut down! Not even to add the McCafe set-up.

Comment

Discovery Bay (altho' that's slipped in the rankings since it went from corp. owned to a franchise store.
              Ah, McD's of Disco Bay: haven't been there in awhile, but I have fond memories of that one, back in the good ol' days when Discovery Bay was one of the most exclusive & upscale addresses in town.

The McD restaurant there was designed to complement that image; at the time, it was touted as being one of the most elegant McD's anywhere to be found. Lots of koa wood and brass (a pain in the a$$ to maintain! I remember going through LOTS of Watco oil and Brasso polish...).

The prices were jacked up, in some cases doubled. Not happy...huh uh!!!
              When a McOpCo (corporately-owned) store is sold to a franchisee, the menu prices always seem to jump... the franchise owners maintain (and rightfully so) that their costs of doing business are much higher, so they have to adjust prices accordingly.

But that sure doesn't make the "sticker shock" any easier to swallow.
              You get much more Big Mac for the money at a McOpCo store, for sure!

Comment

Ah, McD's of Disco Bay: haven't been there in awhile, but I have fond memories of that one, back in the good ol' days when Discovery Bay was one of the most exclusive & upscale addresses in town.
                It was? I've always liked the building and location but was not aware that it had been considered exclusive and upscale. I learn sumthin' new every day!
                The McD restaurant there was designed to complement that image; at the time, it was touted as being one of the most elegant McD's anywhere to be found. Lots of koa wood and brass (a pain in the a$$ to maintain! I remember going through LOTS of Watco oil and Brasso polish...).
                It still has the koa and brass and old pictures of Hawaii. It could have a really nice, tropical atmosphere if the owner wanted to put a few bucks (not a lot) into it but I understand that the rent for that space is either the 1st or 2nd highest in the state for a McDonalds. It's interesting to stand in line and listen to tourists comment on how high the prices are compared to their own neighborhood McDs.
                When a McOpCo (corporately-owned) store is sold to a franchisee, the menu prices always seem to jump... the franchise owners maintain (and rightfully so) that their costs of doing business are much higher, so they have to adjust prices accordingly.

But that sure doesn't make the "sticker shock" any easier to swallow.
                You get much more Big Mac for the money at a McOpCo store, for sure!
                Thanx for the insight. There are a lot of Discovery Bay and other neighboring residents who are very unhappy with the new pricing. Lots of fixed income people in the area.

The food I order from McD's is limited (probably 90% salads, an occasional snack wrap and an occasional senior drink) but I'm a regular customer. And since I've worked on McD commercials since the early 1970s, I'm also a loyal customer. With the D'Bay store basically in my back yard I became very loyal to it. Not now, tho'. I won't get in my car just to go to McD's but if I'm out and about for other reasons I'll make it a point patronize another store in town.

I love the Nanakuli store. I was asked for my ID when I ordered a senior drink! I'm forever grateful!

Comment

Pheeeeew...this is my 2nd most frequented McD's location, when I'm on my way to Makaha. Not sure it needs to be shut down to turn it into a McCafe. Well, the Discovery Bay location wasn't shut down for that purpose. Hopefully Waiakamilo will have a better designed drive thru.
                  They shut mine down here in Anaheim, too, so they could put in the purty copper McCafe machines.... now, to pay for it, day or night, the drive-thru dude asks if you want a coffee.... free samples for days, when it'll re-open, folks!!

Comment

Whoa... like are we talking 1970's? Or after?
                    And from which side of the counter?
                    Ah, I was talking about spending my money at the Waikamilo McD's nearly every damn day back then! (Although I did later work at the School Street location one summer.)

The Aina Haina location was the first McD built in Hawaii. But the Waikamilo restaurant opened up not too long afterwards, making it one of the oldest McDs. While it will be nice to have a brand spanking new restaurant with a Mac Cafe, it will be a little sad to see the old building go.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Same he we spent so much time and money at that Mickey Ds during out high school years in the early 1970's. We had a friend who worked there through out his high school years. We use to call him the filipino Ronald McDonald. I think he was Asst. Manager in his senior year and ended up owing 2 Mickey Ds of his own later on.

Comment

I remember clearly going to the grand opening of the Disco Bay McD - back in the day when media could accept freebies like that . . . and I'm sure my kids are tired of me reminding them about the event (nearly) every time we pass.

One of the other places we liked in that building was Renown Milano - ahead of its time Italian/Japanese fusion menu.

Comment

hi,i just passed where the former mcd's was and they now have a gate around where the former mc'ds was and soon when they get the foundation up,im sure by fall the new mc'ds will be up and running so that's a new update from what i saw on the sign.,

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            I remember clearly going to the grand opening of the Disco Bay McD - back in the day when media could accept freebies like that . . . and I'm sure my kids are tired of me reminding them about the event (nearly) every time we pass.

One of the other places we liked in that building was Renown Milano - ahead of its time Italian/Japanese fusion menu.
                            Discovery Bay has had many good restaurants over the years. I wonder which one lasted the longest! It's not a good location for foot traffic.

Like Sansei, I drove by the Waiakamilo McDs this morning and it appears the building's been leveled behind a tall, opaque fence.

Comment

As sansei mentions in another thread, this McD's is now open. It looks decent from the outside but I haven't been in it yet. The immediately noticeable thing, though, is TWO drive-through ordering speakers. Looks like the occupants of two cars can order at the same time. Also, they routed the drive-through around the building along Dillingham and Waiakamilo so that it doesn't back up where it always used to.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X