Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton Tail

This is getting to be more than just a minor annoyance. You guys have to deal with the wild pigs. We have wild rabbits EVERYWHERE. They eat everything I've planted in my front flower bed two years in a row and nothing I've done keeps them out. I can't put a barrier around it because our HOA won't allow it, but we have to have a well-maintained front flower bed due to regulations (I know, I know. I hate our HOA too, but it really wasn't like this when we moved in. But they can't/won't do anything, so I need solutions for me). They get under our fence and one of our dogs catches and eats them. They sit in the front yard and make the dogs go crazy. People run over them all the time.

Any suggestions on how to keep them away? I tried pepper, fire ant killer, weed killer, vinegar, dog pee, blood. My dogs' frenzied barking does nothing. Throwing bricks at them only makes them hop into the field across the street. HELP!!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton Tail

Here's a strange suggestion I heard from family in NC; place bars of Ivory soap around the flower bed; apparently they cannot stand the smell and will avoid the area. They suggested hanging them, but your HOA may not allow that; maybe laying them around the patch or tying them to existing edging would work.

Good luck with those furry b**tards. Too bad you can't capture, fatten and eat the buggahs.

Cindy

Comment

Thank you!! <leaves trails of dust in the direction of the store>

Comment

Havahart traps (size medium) available at Yamashiro's or most larger hardware garden stores, plus lots of trips to the Humane Society.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Replace 'em with peacocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Replace 'em with peacocks?
            Ooohh. Now that would give the HOA something to do, rather than send me nasty letters b/c I only mowed twice this week instead of 3 times. Here, peacock, peacock, peacock!

Comment

My hairdresser collects hair clippings and gives them to her farmer neighbor. She said it keeps wild deer off his property. I don't know if that will work with rabbits, but I thought I'd throw that in.

Comment

Hmm....this article says they don't like garlic...and now I know why my grandmother's garden had lavender growing around it as a border plant.

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/pest...r_rabbit_3.htm

Comment

Working...
                X