Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Default Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

As of July 1, 2009, it will be illegal in the C&C of Honolulu to operate a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device. It's a $67 ticket for your first offense.

http://www.kitv.com/news/19663500/detail.html

Default Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Finally! A welcome change.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

BRAVO!!!!!! A rule we can use and need!

A good idea --- but will it truly make any difference?

Can cops stop and ticket you for this, or do they have to be stopping you for something else first, then they can add this on (as in many cities)?

As discussed in so many other threads, a law is one thing, effective enforcement is yet another. This same law was passed here in Seattle some time ago, yet I see multiple offenders every day.

Enforcement of the law is not contingent upon it being a multiple offense.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Unless there is some other posting of the ordinance, I read that if the police see you they can cite you, so it is primary enforcement. Also, I did not see any language allowing headphones or handsfree devices; the law states:

No person shall operate a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device.

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment capable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement, including but not limited to a cellular phone, text messaging device, paging device, personal digital assistant, laptop computer, video game, or digital photographic device, but does not include any audio eguipment or any equipment installed in a motor vehicle for the purpose of providing navigation, emergency assistance to the operator of the motor vehicle or video entertainment to the passengers in the rear seats of the motor vehicle.

Sounds to me like you cannot give the phone to the front seat passenger, and you cannot use any type of handsfree device. You would still be using your mobile device.

Has the law been changed from this wording?

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    BRAVO!!!!!! A rule we can use and need!
    I wish folks here in CALIFORNIA did the same also.
    I still see ppl having their cell phones in one hand and steering the wheel in da udda hand. Taking a call in the car while not driving yes using it while behind the wheel in a moving vehicle = NO just say NOOOO!

Mahalo, Amati & cyleet99 - looks pretty clearly defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    As discussed in so many other threads, a law is one thing, effective enforcement is yet another. This same law was passed here in Seattle some time ago, yet I see multiple offenders every day.
    Oh yeah? Well, I see multiple motorists each day running the red light or not coming to a complete halt at a stop sign. Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?

If you habitually disregard red lights and stop signs, you will get caught sooner or later. Same with this new cell phone ban.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
    /snip
    Sounds to me like you cannot give the phone to the front seat passenger, and you cannot use any type of handsfree device. You would still be using your mobile device. Has the law been changed from this wording?
    The law says the person operating the vehicle may not use such a device. It should be fine for a passenger in the front seat to do so. However, I agree that the language regarding "hand-held or other portable electronic equipment..." does seem to indicate that the ban would apply to "hands-free" devices. I had been hearing that people could use hands-free devices but the wording of the law seems unclear. Otherwise, they would have stopped with banning hand-held devices and not included the "or other". huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?
    Where do you come up with these unique interpretations of people's posts, F.M.? Where did I ever say "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations"?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Where do you come up with these unique interpretations of people's posts, F.M.? Where did I ever say "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations"?
    *sigh!*

Where did I ever say that you said, "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations."

Answer: I never did.

Here is what I actually said:

Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?
    Let's see. There's no mention of "Leo." No mention of "you."

I was simply responding to your question about whether a cell phone ban would "truly make any difference" and your observation about seeing "multiple offenders every day" in Seattle.

That's all I have to say on that. Feel free to get in your final dig.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Click It or Lick It! Oh, I heard it wrong then.

The StarBulletin spells it out in today's issue. Note that cell phones may be used with a hands-free device.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._surprise.html

"THE CITY'S 'HANDS-FREE' CELL PHONE LAW
    » The ban on using mobile electronic devices while driving takes effect July 1.

» Under the law, mobile electronic devices include, but are not limited to: cellular phones, text-messaging devices, pagers, personal digital assistants, laptop computers, video-game players and digital cameras.
    » Cell phones may be used with a hands-free device.
    » Officers only need to see a driver holding a device to issue a citation.
    » First offense is $67. A judge may impose higher fines for repeat offenses.
    » Exempt from the law are emergency personnel and others such as bus and taxi drivers using their phones for work-related purposes.
    » Drivers making 911 emergency calls also are exempted.
    » For more information: www.honolulupd.org"
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

In that case, the ordinance language should be cleaned up to delete the "or other".

Thanks for the links, Amati! I agree with Adri--the language of the ordinance is open to other interpretations. But if HPD says I can use my hands-free device, good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Finally! A welcome change.
    Glad you recognize Mufi has done some good things.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Thumbs down Being responsible for your words - BANNED in Honolulu!

*sigh!*
    Where did I ever say that you said, "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations."
    Answer: I never did.
    Here is what I actually said:
    Originally Posted by Frankie's Market

Let's see. There's no mention of "Leo." No mention of "you."
    I was simply responding to your question about whether a cell phone ban would "truly make any difference" and your observation about seeing "multiple offenders every day" in Seattle.
    That's all I have to say on that. Feel free to get in your final dig.
    Actually, here is what you really said:
    Originally Posted by Leo Lakio

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market
    Oh yeah? Well, I see multiple motorists each day running the red light or not coming to a complete halt at a stop sign. Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?

If you habitually disregard red lights and stop signs, you will get caught sooner or later. Same with this new cell phone ban.
    So, who were you saying "Oh yeah?" to, if not Leo?

Leo doesn't need a "final dig," he's not trying to squirm out of responsibility for his comments.
    ~ ~

Cool Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    Glad you recognize Mufi has done some good things.
    Goofy Mufi did this?
    Why am I skeptical.....?
    Could it be that someone else came up with the concept and Moofee just signed off on it for political reason?

"A new bill at the Honolulu City Council would ban drivers from even holding a mobile electronic device while the engine is running."

"As for the texting and gaming ban already approved, it goes to Mayor Mufi Hannemann’s desk to sign or veto. His spokesperson says the mayor hasn't made up his mind what he'll do. However, it could be veto proof since seven members of the council support the law."

"Mayor Mufi Hannemann vetoed a text messaging ban in February."

I'm Glad that Mufi knows how to sign his name.
    Even if he didn't have to!
    ~ ~

Ahhh. Another Sumptuary law. I can't wait for the first council member to get caught.

For the rest of us, calling while driving is just fine as long as you have $67.
    Last edited by AlohaKine; June 8th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Will there still be a penalty on days with the Amber Alert?

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Will there still be a penalty on days with the Amber Alert?
    Calls to 911 are exempt.

Police and drivers of other emergency vehicles are also exempt.

The cell phone ban seems to be working.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31716360...-honolulu_hi/:
    The Honolulu Police Department said the number of drivers using their cellular phones while driving has gone down significantly. Police issued 38 citations and seven warnings since the ban started on Wednesday. The majority of motorists have begun complying with the new law, police said.
    Mostly.

The areas with the most citations were East Honolulu with eight tickets, the Kailua-Kaneohe area with six tickets and Waikiki with five citations, police said.
    Why am I not surprised?

I take the H3 to and from work every day, and two days in now, I've seen a difference. I don't think I'd notice it if I drove in traffic, but on the H3, folks are usually doing 60mph or more. You really notice the ones plodding along at 50 or so in the fast lane since they hold up traffic.

There's been none of that today and yesterday. Maybe that's just because it's a short weekend and less traffic, but hopefully this law might actually yield some good.

Exclamation Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Seven warnings? Wasn't there a stern "there will be no warnings!" warning prior to this law taking effect?

I must be driving in the wrong neighborhoods, because I still saw a couple of people talking on phones held to their head in the last two days.

There was also a recent story in L.A. about how, far into a cell phone ban, more and more people are starting to ignore the ban, and citations are on the rise. Cell phone use plummeted when the law first went into effect, thanks to heavy publicity, but now folks are just taking their chances the same way they do with speeding. They know they shouldn't, but still do it, relying on the basic math that they won't get caught.

Knowing Hawaii, I think this resurgence in violations will come even faster than it did in California.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast