Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

As of July 1, 2009, it will be illegal in the C&C of Honolulu to operate a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device. It's a $67 ticket for your first offense.

http://www.kitv.com/news/19663500/detail.html

Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Finally! A welcome change.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

BRAVO!!!!!! A rule we can use and need!

Comment

A good idea --- but will it truly make any difference?

Can cops stop and ticket you for this, or do they have to be stopping you for something else first, then they can add this on (as in many cities)?

As discussed in so many other threads, a law is one thing, effective enforcement is yet another. This same law was passed here in Seattle some time ago, yet I see multiple offenders every day.

Comment

Enforcement of the law is not contingent upon it being a multiple offense.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Unless there is some other posting of the ordinance, I read that if the police see you they can cite you, so it is primary enforcement. Also, I did not see any language allowing headphones or handsfree devices; the law states:

No person shall operate a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device.

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment capable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement, including but not limited to a cellular phone, text messaging device, paging device, personal digital assistant, laptop computer, video game, or digital photographic device, but does not include any audio eguipment or any equipment installed in a motor vehicle for the purpose of providing navigation, emergency assistance to the operator of the motor vehicle or video entertainment to the passengers in the rear seats of the motor vehicle.

Sounds to me like you cannot give the phone to the front seat passenger, and you cannot use any type of handsfree device. You would still be using your mobile device.

Has the law been changed from this wording?

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
              BRAVO!!!!!! A rule we can use and need!
              I wish folks here in CALIFORNIA did the same also.
              I still see ppl having their cell phones in one hand and steering the wheel in da udda hand. Taking a call in the car while not driving yes using it while behind the wheel in a moving vehicle = NO just say NOOOO!

Comment

Mahalo, Amati & cyleet99 - looks pretty clearly defined.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  As discussed in so many other threads, a law is one thing, effective enforcement is yet another. This same law was passed here in Seattle some time ago, yet I see multiple offenders every day.
                  Oh yeah? Well, I see multiple motorists each day running the red light or not coming to a complete halt at a stop sign. Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?

If you habitually disregard red lights and stop signs, you will get caught sooner or later. Same with this new cell phone ban.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                    /snip
                    Sounds to me like you cannot give the phone to the front seat passenger, and you cannot use any type of handsfree device. You would still be using your mobile device. Has the law been changed from this wording?
                    The law says the person operating the vehicle may not use such a device. It should be fine for a passenger in the front seat to do so. However, I agree that the language regarding "hand-held or other portable electronic equipment..." does seem to indicate that the ban would apply to "hands-free" devices. I had been hearing that people could use hands-free devices but the wording of the law seems unclear. Otherwise, they would have stopped with banning hand-held devices and not included the "or other". huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?
                      Where do you come up with these unique interpretations of people's posts, F.M.? Where did I ever say "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations"?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Where do you come up with these unique interpretations of people's posts, F.M.? Where did I ever say "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations"?
                        *sigh!*

Where did I ever say that you said, "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations."

Answer: I never did.

Here is what I actually said:

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?
                        Let's see. There's no mention of "Leo." No mention of "you."

I was simply responding to your question about whether a cell phone ban would "truly make any difference" and your observation about seeing "multiple offenders every day" in Seattle.

That's all I have to say on that. Feel free to get in your final dig.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Click It or Lick It! Oh, I heard it wrong then.

Comment

The StarBulletin spells it out in today's issue. Note that cell phones may be used with a hands-free device.

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._surprise.html

"THE CITY'S 'HANDS-FREE' CELL PHONE LAW
                            » The ban on using mobile electronic devices while driving takes effect July 1.

» Under the law, mobile electronic devices include, but are not limited to: cellular phones, text-messaging devices, pagers, personal digital assistants, laptop computers, video-game players and digital cameras.
                            » Cell phones may be used with a hands-free device.
                            » Officers only need to see a driver holding a device to issue a citation.
                            » First offense is $67. A judge may impose higher fines for repeat offenses.
                            » Exempt from the law are emergency personnel and others such as bus and taxi drivers using their phones for work-related purposes.
                            » Drivers making 911 emergency calls also are exempted.
                            » For more information: www.honolulupd.org"
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

In that case, the ordinance language should be cleaned up to delete the "or other".

Comment

Working...
                              X