Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Thanks for the links, Amati! I agree with Adri--the language of the ordinance is open to other interpretations. But if HPD says I can use my hands-free device, good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      Finally! A welcome change.
      Glad you recognize Mufi has done some good things.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Being responsible for your words - BANNED in Honolulu!

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        *sigh!*
        Where did I ever say that you said, "there should be no laws prohibiting these violations."
        Answer: I never did.
        Here is what I actually said:
        Originally Posted by Frankie's Market
        Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?

Let's see. There's no mention of "Leo." No mention of "you."
        I was simply responding to your question about whether a cell phone ban would "truly make any difference" and your observation about seeing "multiple offenders every day" in Seattle.
        That's all I have to say on that. Feel free to get in your final dig.
        Actually, here is what you really said:
        Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
        As discussed in so many other threads, a law is one thing, effective enforcement is yet another. This same law was passed here in Seattle some time ago, yet I see multiple offenders every day.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market
        Oh yeah? Well, I see multiple motorists each day running the red light or not coming to a complete halt at a stop sign. Does the fact that people often-times get away with not following these laws because no officer happens to be around mean there should be no laws prohibiting these violations?

If you habitually disregard red lights and stop signs, you will get caught sooner or later. Same with this new cell phone ban.
        So, who were you saying "Oh yeah?" to, if not Leo?

Leo doesn't need a "final dig," he's not trying to squirm out of responsibility for his comments.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Glad you recognize Mufi has done some good things.
          Goofy Mufi did this?
          Why am I skeptical.....?
          Could it be that someone else came up with the concept and Moofee just signed off on it for political reason?

"A new bill at the Honolulu City Council would ban drivers from even holding a mobile electronic device while the engine is running."

"As for the texting and gaming ban already approved, it goes to Mayor Mufi Hannemann’s desk to sign or veto. His spokesperson says the mayor hasn't made up his mind what he'll do. However, it could be veto proof since seven members of the council support the law."

"Mayor Mufi Hannemann vetoed a text messaging ban in February."

I'm Glad that Mufi knows how to sign his name.
          Even if he didn't have to!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Ahhh. Another Sumptuary law. I can't wait for the first council member to get caught.

For the rest of us, calling while driving is just fine as long as you have $67.
            Last edited by AlohaKine; June 8, 2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Will there still be a penalty on days with the Amber Alert?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Will there still be a penalty on days with the Amber Alert?
                Calls to 911 are exempt.

Police and drivers of other emergency vehicles are also exempt.

Comment

The cell phone ban seems to be working.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31716360...-honolulu_hi/:
                  The Honolulu Police Department said the number of drivers using their cellular phones while driving has gone down significantly. Police issued 38 citations and seven warnings since the ban started on Wednesday. The majority of motorists have begun complying with the new law, police said.
                  Mostly.

The areas with the most citations were East Honolulu with eight tickets, the Kailua-Kaneohe area with six tickets and Waikiki with five citations, police said.
                  Why am I not surprised?

Comment

I take the H3 to and from work every day, and two days in now, I've seen a difference. I don't think I'd notice it if I drove in traffic, but on the H3, folks are usually doing 60mph or more. You really notice the ones plodding along at 50 or so in the fast lane since they hold up traffic.

There's been none of that today and yesterday. Maybe that's just because it's a short weekend and less traffic, but hopefully this law might actually yield some good.

Comment

Seven warnings? Wasn't there a stern "there will be no warnings!" warning prior to this law taking effect?

I must be driving in the wrong neighborhoods, because I still saw a couple of people talking on phones held to their head in the last two days.

There was also a recent story in L.A. about how, far into a cell phone ban, more and more people are starting to ignore the ban, and citations are on the rise. Cell phone use plummeted when the law first went into effect, thanks to heavy publicity, but now folks are just taking their chances the same way they do with speeding. They know they shouldn't, but still do it, relying on the basic math that they won't get caught.

Knowing Hawaii, I think this resurgence in violations will come even faster than it did in California.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        There was also a recent story in L.A. about how, far into a cell phone ban, more and more people are starting to ignore the ban, and citations are on the rise. Cell phone use plummeted when the law first went into effect, thanks to heavy publicity, but now folks are just taking their chances the same way they do with speeding. They know they shouldn't, but still do it, relying on the basic math that they won't get caught.

Knowing Hawaii, I think this resurgence in violations will come even faster than it did in California.
                        It will be just like the mandatory seat belt law. In the beginning, there was strict enforcement with a lot of citations issued. Then after people got the message, enforcement was relaxed. You'll always have the scofflaws. There's no way to totally eliminate them. Every so often, there is the click-it-or-ticket campaign, where HPD will again make it a point to crack down on seat belt violations and public awareness is once again promoted. But the bottom line question is: Has the mandatory seat belt law worked? I would say it has. Many more people use belts now than before the law was first enacted in the mid 1980s.

The cell-phone ban will likely go down the same road. Strict enforcement is taking place now. But you know there won't be 38 citations issued every day. The citations will go down. Drivers will start to use their phones again when they feel enforcement is relaxed. And HPD will begin periodically issuing public awareness campaigns about responsible cell phone use and make the enforcement a priority. And the bottom line question: Will the cell phone ban work? I think it will. You'll see fewer drivers yammering on their phones than you did before the ban first took effect.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          Seven warnings? Wasn't there a stern "there will be no warnings!" warning prior to this law taking effect?
                          I thought the same thing at first... but since citations were being issued in Waikiki (as well as elsewhere), perhaps some of the drivers who were stopped may have been tourists?

I think it would make sense for an officer to use discretion in issuing a warning vs. a ticket for drivers from out of state, especially since most states have yet to enact bans on cell phone use while driving.

And since our new law is a City ordinance rather than a a state law, cell phone use while driving is still legal on the neighbor islands. (The Big Island's ordinance doesn't go into effect until January 1, 2010.) So perhaps HPD might be cutting some slack to neighbor island residents visiting Oahu?

I was reminded of something that happened to me years ago, during a trip to the mainland. I was driving in a highway construction zone, and there were police officers on site. I was surprised when one of them motioned me to pull over --because that NEVER happens here with HPD officers on special duty for road construction, right?

When the officer saw my Hawaii driver's license, he informed me that posted speed limits were strictly enforced in highway construction zones throughout that state. After admonishing me to "Take it easy while driving here and don't let this happen again," the officer let me go with a warning.

I was very thankful that my visit wasn't marred by a $250 traffic fine. And thanks to the officer's warning, I have been more careful while driving, ever since!
                          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Some valid points. Yet a tourist should be aware of the laws/regulations in the country they are visiting.
                            Mobile phones have been banned in cars here in england for a long time.

Can I please give you another example ? Not far from the International Market is a police station. There are traffic lights and some of the officers are on duty 24/7 to trap the 'Jay Walkers.' Nearly all tourists who do not know the rules and get an on the spot fine.

p.s. I detest mobile/cell phones. I do have one but seldom use it. I don't like the way people shout into them and tell everybody else about their business. They also have a tendancy to walk backwards or side-ways across the pavements to pick up a better signal.

Comment

Same ban goes into effect on the Big Island come Jan 1st, 2010. I owned three bluetooth headsets and none of them lasted more than a few months of use. They would power up but would not detect a bluetooth enabled phone after a while. When this ban goes into effect I'm just gonna buy a wired-headset that plugs into my phone. Home Depot sells them in their electrical department.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                When this ban goes into effect I'm just gonna buy a wired-headset that plugs into my phone. Home Depot sells them in their electrical department.
                                Be careful of what phone you have; my Samsung Eternity only has a headphone jack for the music player. The phone will not route through that line, and I have to either use the bluetooth or the speaker.

Dang.

Comment

Working...
                                X