Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cell phone use while driving - BANNED in Honolulu!

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
    Be careful of what phone you have; my Samsung Eternity only has a headphone jack for the music player. The phone will not route through that line, and I have to either use the bluetooth or the speaker.

Dang.
    I have a Treo 700WX smart phone and it'll accomodate the plug in headsets. One thing that frustrated me was when I bought the bluetooth headsets and none of them would allow for voice dialing thru the headset. The wired headsets could on the other hand allow for voice dialing, a must when needing to make outbound calls while driving.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      In that case, the ordinance language should be cleaned up to delete the "or other".
      I think the "or other" part should be kept but it should be amended to say "or other hand-held". That should clear up the ambiguity on hands free devices.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Same ban goes into effect on the Big Island come Jan 1st, 2010. I owned three bluetooth headsets and none of them lasted more than a few months of use. They would power up but would not detect a bluetooth enabled phone after a while. When this ban goes into effect I'm just gonna buy a wired-headset that plugs into my phone. Home Depot sells them in their electrical department.
      Anyone has tried bluetooth speaker phones that clip on the visors? I think that would be the most ideal hands-free device.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        I think the "or other" part should be kept but it should be amended to say "or other hand-held". That should clear up the ambiguity on hands free devices.
        /snip
        The law currently reads:

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment capable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement,....

With my suggestion, it would read:

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment ....

With your suggestion, it would read:

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other hand-held portable electronic equipment capable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement,.... which wouldn't make sense

Comment

Anyone has tried bluetooth speaker phones that clip on the visors? I think that would be the most ideal hands-free device.
          Why can't we just clip the cell phone to the visor and use the speakerphone function and remove the idea of a hands free bluetooth device that does the same thing?

Comment

Why can't we just clip the cell phone to the visor and use the speakerphone function and remove the idea of a hands free bluetooth device that does the same thing?
            I'm curious about that, too. If one uses the speaker phone function without holding the phone is that considered "hands free"?

And what about pulling over to the side of the road or the shoulder of the freeway, at a complete stop, but with the engine running while holding the phone? Is that legal or illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
              The law currently reads:

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment capable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement,....

With my suggestion, it would read:

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other portable electronic equipment ....

With your suggestion, it would read:

“Mobile electronic device” means any hand-held or other hand-held portable electronic equipment capable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement,.... which wouldn't make sense
              You're right, in my rush on reading the paragraph, I overlooked that redundancy. However, now that I am re-reading the paragraph, I don't think the current wording is really that bent out of shape either. Because there are other new devices out there that are not hand-held and do provide wireless data connectivity such as the autonet mobile router. So that second part does make sense. Imagine trying to setup or troubleshoot your router while driving? We know there are people who already multi-task other absurd tasks while driving such as makeup or shaving.

Now I know the confusion is on other devices such as bluetooth. But I think this boils down to a very narrow view in interpreting the law. A bluetooth device on it's own is incapable of providing wireless and/or data communication between two or more persons or of providing amusement. It is only able to do that by linking up to a cellphone, etc.

I think based on my interpretation above, we can't just use the speakerphone function of the phone clipped to the visor because it's a "hand-held" device.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              And what about pulling over to the side of the road or the shoulder of the freeway, at a complete stop, but with the engine running while holding the phone? Is that legal or illegal?
              I think I already saw verbiage somewhere that the engine has to be off to be "legal".

Comment

[...]
                I think I already saw verbiage somewhere that the engine has to be off to be "legal".
                Thanks. That would make sense.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the ordnance that became law.

"Use or using" means holding a mobile electronic device while operating a motor vehicle.
                  The idea behind this bill is to make it easy to enforce. If an officer looks over at you and you're holding an electronic device - busted. Even if you're using a bluetooth headset, if you're holding the phone, busted. Nothing wrong with speaker phone (but you might get complaints from the person you're talking to), but don't hold the phone.

Comment

[QUOTE=joshuatree;236098]I think based on my interpretation above, we can't just use the speakerphone function of the phone clipped to the visor because it's a "hand-held" device.QUOTE]

Then using any bluetoothed device would be illegal as well since you're technically still using a handheld device despite not holding it in your hand. This law needs to be redrafted.

Comment

Then using any bluetoothed device would be illegal as well since you're technically still using a handheld device despite not holding it in your hand. This law needs to be redrafted.
                      As I mentioned earlier, it's a very narrow definition. Bluetooth earpieces or visor clip ons are not designed to be hand held (vs a cell phone) so they would not fall under the definition of "handheld".

At the end of the day, even with hands free devices, at one point in time as one is driving, one has to push a button somewhere on the bluetooth device or phone in order to pick up an incoming call or to dial out. So I don't think any redraft will ever fully satisfy all the "ifs, ands, ors, buts" that people are coming up with. Perhaps that's why there were some warnings given instead of citations on the first day of enforcement? I rather have this law than no law regarding use of cells while driving. Seen way too many people who can't be doing both and shouldn't so if it helps reduce that number, it's a good thing.

You can always promote an all out ban but I wonder how well that will float with the public?

Comment

"Exempt from the law are emergency personnel and others such as bus and taxi drivers using their phones for work-related purposes."

Is this a loophole so cops and politicians can still use their phones?????
                        Why the heck do cops have to use a cell phone anyway???
                        Didn't the tax payers fork the bill for a "State of Art" comunication system????

Who is "OTHERS"?????
                        Delivery drivers, construction workers, realtors, doctors, lawyers, baby sitters, teachers, TV reporters, newspaper reporters, mail delevery drivers, anyone calling work would be "WORK-RELATED",.....
                        They all use cell phones for "WORK-RELATED PURPOSES"

Should have made it like on military bases.
                        NO CELL PHONES WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING.

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
                          "Delivery drivers, construction workers, realtors, doctors, lawyers, baby sitters, teachers, TV reporters, newspaper reporters, mail delevery drivers, anyone calling work would be "WORK-RELATED"
                          I agree; they are all work related. Any other thoughts? Experiences? I guess you would have to prove to the officer that it truly was work related.

Comment

Whether it's work related or personal, it comes down to the driver's ability to talk while driving at the same time. Who's to say a driver on the job is more adept at this task than that very driver off the job? Coordination has no office hours.

It seems Safety is back burnered for the sake of work performance, pushing liability away from the driver and into the hands of the company that driver is working for.

I agree a ban is necessary because of a few that cannot seem to chew gum and walk at the same time, however this notion of allowing cell phones while driving when on the job seems like splitting hairs in this issue. The fact that in the early 80's and before, we never had cell phones and we survived. Yes cell phones has enhanced our job performance but at what cost? Injury or death to us or those around us? That kind of performance gain is ultimately lost when an incident occurs because of this exemption.

If you're gonna ban cell phones while driving, it SHOULD be across the board, no exceptions. Like I said coordination has no office hours.
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 27, 2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

[...]Like I said coordination has no office hours.
                              I agree with you, Craig, but it's not just coordination. It's also concentration and focus. It makes no difference if I'm talking on the phone with a director or my daughter. Come to think of it, while driving, I'm better off with a social call than I am with a work call. There's just too much focus involved with a work call. I can't drive while talking on the phone anymore. I know it. I can feel it. So, I don't. Rather, I stopped about 2 years before the recent law went into effect. I rarely have a passenger in my car but the same thing applies when I do. I'm no longer adept at splitting my attention.

Comment

Here's a PSA being aired in the UK aimed at drivers (esp. teens) who don't realize the risk and danger of driving and texting at the same time. And if you ask me, we need the same kind of PSA in this country.

As a warning, this is pretty graphic stuff to watch. But if watching this re-enactment upsets you, then think about how much more traumatic it would be for you or a loved one to be involved in a real-life accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBoQAueU-EI

I watched this with my daughter and we discussed it. She got the message.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X