Palm Pre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm Pre

On Saturday, Sprint and Palm unveiled their latest entry into the smartphone marketplace, the Palm Pre. The engineering team included several former Apple folks, and I think it shows in the design and generally good UI elegance of the Palm Pre -- remarkable for a first version. Here's New York Times technology columnist David Pogue's review.

Until the iPhone came out, I thought the Palm Treo was the best smartphone out there. For the most part, the Blackberry has held the top spot for business users. The Palm Pre seems to try to cover all the bases, and is getting generally good marks. But will it just be a well-designed novelty, or a serious contender against some big names? I guess time will tell.

Yes, there was a line at the Sprint Store on Ala Moana on Saturday morning. One technology writer who was here on business decided to join the queue, and was pretty happy with how things went.

Re: Palm Pre

do you know if it'll only work on a sprint network? it'd be great if it were able to be unlocked....

* late edit: i guess the answer is "probably": "...Expected iPhone Killer Palm Pre is launching in USA on 6th June, the first version of the phone will be made exclusively available on CDMA network with Sprint, the European GSM version of the phone is expected to get released in coming months, despite no signs or expected release dates of Palm Pre GSM some online vendors are confident about its availability and had already started taking pre-orders for fully unlocked Palm Pre's..."
    Last edited by shaveice; June 8, 2009, 12:03 PM.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

eric sent his friend an email w/ video, but said friend, who owns a pre, could not open video. not sure if that's a thing with all pres, or of eric's friend need to download software, or what it is. but it's another amusing moment of many over the last two years where eric's phone can do something the newfangled goody on the market can't.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        ...another amusing moment of many over the last two years where eric's phone can do something the newfangled goody on the market can't.
        Hee-hee!

My plain ol' vanilla cell phone does stuff that the fancy models don't do ... it lets me shut it off and walk away to do other things, without enticing me back to it!

Just teasing...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Hee-hee!

My plain ol' vanilla cell phone does stuff that the fancy models don't do ... it lets me shut it off and walk away to do other things, without enticing me back to it!

Just teasing...
          that's actually quite compelling a feature, leo. unfortunately, my phone and work don't allow that. *mournful face*
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Palm Inc. probably has all of its hope for continual survival in the marketplace with their new Pre. In recent years their stock has gone downhill. They've had several misses with recent products like the Palm Lifedrive and Palm Folio. The Treo has long been eclipsed by the Blackberry and iPhone, I have no idea where the Palm Centro stands in that marketplace. Good luck to the Palm users and hope the firm doesn't go away.

I still have my old Palm IIIc handheld which works just fine except that the built in battery doesn't hold a charge for more than 10 minutes. The biggest mistake any of these devices with built in batteries is that there is no easy way to change them when they die or are near death without having to do major surgery. Why can't device makers just use removeable batteries that users can easily replace.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I have had many opportunities to play on the iphone, and no matter what, I will not, cannot use a device that has no thumbboard. I have been a Palm loyalist for *nine* years (starting with the Handspring Visor and the Visor Phone attachment--anyone remember that baby?) I have also been with Tmobile that long (starting with voicestream). Finally, it must sync to a mac.

For all the savings I have enjoyed by sticking with Tmobile, I have spent it in buying unlocked palm phones. It irritates me that Tmobile appears to be the lone carrier that won't contract with Palm.

I am on the verge of making big tekkie decisions to integrate my mobile work/life needs, including toying with buying a cheapo phone and a netbook and breaking through two Classic No-nos: relying on more than one piece of equipment, and hauling around a non-mac.

Still deciding...

pax

Comment

^ ^ ^
                Like Pua'i Mana'o, I have been a stubborn Palm holdout. My obstinacy has been two-fold:
                1. I really like my ancient Treo and the Palm OS;
                2. I really don't want to switch from Verizon Wireless.

I must admit to almost being seduced by the iPhone... but wasn't willing to give up the "textability" of a keyboard. And I also wasn't willing to make the switch to AT&T.

So ever since Palm started developing the Pre, I've been hanging on, thinking, "Maybe... just maybe..."
                The early reviews only made me salivate even more.
                And after all that, to find out that the Palm gave exclusivity to -- Sprint!

Verizon's inability to get ANY of the good new phones is really starting to irk me... to the point where it just might be time to call it "quits" on my 12-year relationship with them...
                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

I was a huge, huge fan of Palm. I go further back with 'em, with the Palm Pilot (yes, the device that they had to rename because of a scuffle with the pen maker), then the Palm III, then the Handspring Visor Prism (with the eyemodule camera!), then the phones on Sprint, the Treo 600, 650, and 700p. The iPhone was the first device I left them for, but I always had a soft spot for the company... and it seems many are in the same boat.

If I hadn't gotten used to the soft keyboard on the iPhone, I'd probably have been among the first in line at the Sprint store on Saturday. I'd never felt like a Blackberry kinda guy. I can definitely understand the desire for a thumbboard... it's why I thought the Treo, which was an innovator in the space, was such a winner.

For a 1.0 release, the Palm Pre is a huge accomplishment. By the time they get the software up to 1.1 or 1.2, it should be rock solid. The fact that the Palm Pre "pretends to be" an iPod when plugged into a computer is a neat hack, too -- music and media syncing is automatic with iTunes, something that no other handset/player manufacturer has been able to do better than Apple.
                  Verizon's inability to get ANY of the good new phones is really starting to irk me... to the point where it just might be time to call it "quits" on my 12-year relationship with them.
                  But Verizon has what's generally agreed to be the most robust national network. And, Verizon is second in line to get the Palm Pre after Sprint, reportedly as soon as January. Hang in there!

Comment

Mahalo, cynsaligia, for understanding the spirit of my post. No digs were aimed at anyone who chooses to be more wired than I at present, only a faux sanctimony.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      But Verizon has what's generally agreed to be the most robust national network.
                      That's exactly why I've stayed so long. I've been with them since they were Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile (when I was living on the East Coast).

And, Verizon is second in line to get the Palm Pre after Sprint, reportedly as soon as January. Hang in there!
                      Wow, do I dare to hope? Only 6 more months...
                      *takes a deep breath and hangs on*
                      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

everyone has their own opinion, but honestly i couldn't see using another physical keyboard on a phone now. i type WAY faster on the iphone than a physical keyboard. I don't think most people know of the tech behind iphone's keyboard. it's not just set space around every letter. it's a smart keyboard. while you're typing, the letters that is most likely to be used next will actually become bigger. and the auto-correection is amazing if you just start typing away and trust the keyboard. There is a great video on Apple's site about this.

i've found most people that first type of a iphone tend to cautiously peck at each key, instead of trusting it and typing away. my friend was doing that thinking he was going to hit the wrong keys all the time. i kept telling him to just start typing. to trust it more, he gets it now and is much better at it.

And, Verizon is second in line to get the Palm Pre after Sprint, reportedly as soon as January. Hang in there!
                        Well the Sprint CEO, just commented on this, saying Verizon was totally wrong saying there getting the Pre in 6 months. he said they have it for a longer.
                        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I have a blackberry curve from Sprint, and I love it!

Interesting article here showing some comparisons...

http://www.derrickmonroe.com/blog/mo...rve-8330/show/
                          http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Mildly interesting that posters on sprintusers.com prefer another smartphone over the Pre more than 2 to 1. Even more interesting is Palm's Pre knowledge base where they admit "Short periods of time when email is unavailable are common, due to server problems or poor wireless coverage." A knock on Sprint's wireless covereage? Maybe. It certainly reinforces the bad taste gleaned from the bounces I receive when trying to email my Sprint-toting friends through the company's text or picture messaging gateways. Overall a great hail mary from Palm though. Hope they get the bugs worked out soon.

Gridded camparison of four leading smartphones, including the Pre, here.
                            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                            X