Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB TV Tops News Ratings

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    The 6 p.m. newscast, which remains the "main" timeslot in the local news wars. I gather they can advertise themselves as "#1" so long as they've got the lead there... but I'm not sure if it'll be true much longer.
    I see. Thanks!

To me, everything goes in cycles. KGMB had their glory days, then it was KHON's turn.

Now the pendulum has swung back the other way.

Eventually, it may swing back in KHON's favor. But that will probably be a long, long time from now.

Like how KGMB had to wait eons for the pendulum to swing back in their favor.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
      Is this why KITV is looking for a new, News Director?

Or is it just a coincidence?

Also, when will KHON stop calling itself "Hawaii's #1 News"

Number one in what?

How do you define #1?
      No Phill just got a cooler job
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        No Phill just got a cooler job

That's good to hear. Congrats to him!

Comment

I watch KHON for news. I'd like to hear from others what it is about KGMB they like. Is it the reporters, the way the news is told, or is it just like me, being a creature of habit? I have watched KHON for decades and just continue to watch the news there.

I will occasionally flip back and forth to the same story on different channels to see a different take but I always return to KHON.

Comment

I am mesmerized by their skin tone. I wonder if they all go to the same tanning salon?

Comment

Originally posted by HaleiwaDiva View Post
              I watch KHON for news. I'd like to hear from others what it is about KGMB they like. Is it the reporters, the way the news is told, or is it just like me, being a creature of habit?
              IMHO, KGMB9 simply has better overall news coverage. They have slipped a bit as veteran talent has given way to cheaper, fresher faces. But where’s KHON2’s version of a Jim Mendoza or a Stacy Loe? The “Ignite” system running KHON’s show still continues to create glitches and limit what they can do, and all the reporters are Jai Cunningham wanna-bes with their diction and cadence. I’m glad they have Ron Mizutani back, but at this point, KHON has to demonstrate that it can scoop the competition with its limited resources.

In the t.v. market, being a “creature of habit” is become less and less meaningful as more and more young people rely exclusively on the internet for news. KGMB9 has capitalized on this by encouraging their viewers to follow them on twitter™, and as their feeds show, people do.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks TuNuL I appreaciate your response!

Have you or anyone else here watched the same story being reported on more than one news channel? I have and to me it seems that KHON2 has a knack for giving a more complete side of the story and getting a better variety of sound bites from witnesses or experts.

I think Gina Mangieri is right up there with Stacy Lowe or Jim Mendoza as far as being a veteran reporter. I also think Kanoa Leahy is a great sports reporter and I just like Joe Moore.

I do agree that KHON2 tends not to be "cutting edge" and they really need to follow KGMB9's lead with twitter.

Comment

i would say that KGMB's tendency to conduct their news broadcasts in a little more free-form, less formal format is attractive to a lot of viewers, esp those who have become accustomed to 24 hour cable news and going to the web for news updates. the addition of the immediate broadcasting of viewer tweets on their interactive news at 5pm is also appealing to gen-x/gen-y viewers, who, in the advent of the net, are less likely to have their eyes glued to a tv screen versus a monitor screen. (sidenote: lavagal--twas amusing to see some of your tweets during the broadcast, including the one on friday re ideas for the state to make up the budge shortfall!)

through its website, twitter, etc. kgmb reaches out to make more personal relationships (thereby, strengthening station loyalty) with its viewers in ways that had not been done before--what with bios written in the first person, frequent blogging as well as twittering. in fact, i would guess that bcs of their cyber presence, they're bringing in more viewers to watch their broadcasts.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by HaleiwaDiva View Post
                    Thanks TuNuL I appreaciate your response!

Have you or anyone else here watched the same story being reported on more than one news channel? I have and to me it seems that KHON2 has a knack for giving a more complete side of the story and getting a better variety of sound bites from witnesses or experts.

I think Gina Mangieri is right up there with Stacy Lowe or Jim Mendoza as far as being a veteran reporter. I also think Kanoa Leahy is a great sports reporter and I just like Joe Moore.
                    I have at one point, watched all four stations simultaneously. It’s a dizzying experience which I don’t recommend.

Since you asked, I’ll give you my impressions. KHNL News8 tends to be all over the map, but one thing they consistently do is maintain a high story count. Simply put, quantity over quality. They like to go “live” for the sake of being live, which I suppose appeals to a certain demographic. They used to be the go-to station for local sports, but after the axed Russell Yamanoha and Reid Shimizu, things just haven’t been the same. At one point, they eliminated their sportscast! At least they continue to experiment with newscasts at weird times of the day.

KITV4 is who I would rely on for investigative news and sports. Keoki Kerr, to my knowledge, is the only investigative reporter on local t.v. today. He is pretty damn good, too. Robert Kekaula seems to always have the inside scoop when it comes to UH athletics, though I don’t watch him unless there’s some significant sports-related news. They were the go-to station for Hawaiiana, but KGMB9 has closed the gap with their regular ‘Āha‘i ‘Ōlelo Ola segment.

KGMB9 has the best overall news coverage. Guy Hagi is the most recognized anchor on t.v. next to Joe Moore, and 9 has had the lock on weather since the “Severe Weather” campaign. With Ben Guiterrez and Dan Cooke on their roster, who in their right mind would even dare to compete? The aforementioned “twitter” and blogging by their talent helps them grab the youth and “techie” demographic. But the heart of KGMB9’s attraction is their ability to break the big stories. You just can’t recapture moments like Aloha Airlines’ last flight. How anchor/reporter Lisa Kubota “just happened” to be on that flight probably has to do with the fact that she's a Maui girl.

Finally, KHON. I’m glad you like Gina. I have met her personally, and she’s really sweet. I don’t know that she’s worthy of being compared to the major news veterans in this market yet, but she has come a long way since being hired as the station’s webmaster less than five years ago. KHON had a really great newscast...once. But they lost big-league anchors Leslie Wilcox and Tina Shelton, veteran assignment editor Mark Matsunaga, and instead of looking forward, they bring back “old gimmicks” like 30 seconds of “man-on-the-street” shakas. IMHO, the best thing about Joe Moore is he would ask reporters tough questions during live field reports to keep them on their toes. He doesn’t do that anymore. Otherwise, he simply talks too s-l-o-w-l-y and continues to mispronounce Hawaiian words. The former, I suspect, is to hold on his elderly-viewer base. The latter...well, we won’t go there.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

woo hoo! i'm YOUTH! *struts triumphantly*

poor eric. being older than me and computer and hardware/network savvy, he is relegated to being merely the TECHIE...

wonkawonkwonkchonkchonk...wonkawonkwonkchonkchonk (my unreasonable facsimile of sexy seventies guitar music)

okay, sorry for going off topic.

okay, not really.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

It is amazing how many people watch KGMB news. I was surprised at how
                        many do on a Saturday night. Last month I was interviewed by Ramsey and
                        it was unbelievable how many people emailed or told me personally the next day that they saw me on the newscast. I lost my wallet that weekend (but it was found ) and while we were on the phone inquiring about it and gave my name the person on the phone started saying how she saw me on TV which was nice but I really wanted to know if they had my wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                          It is amazing how many people watch KGMB news. I was surprised at how
                          many do on a Saturday night. Last month I was interviewed by Ramsey and
                          it was unbelievable how many people emailed or told me personally the next day that they saw me on the newscast. I lost my wallet that weekend (but it was found ) and while we were on the phone inquiring about it and gave my name the person on the phone started saying how she saw me on TV which was nice but I really wanted to know if they had my wallet!
                          woo hoo! you got your wallet back!

wonkawonkwonkchonkchonk...wonkawonkwonkchonkchonk. ..

come on, LL, strut with me now!

eeeeeh....see what happens when i share a latte with eric after having been caffeine-free for a fortnight?

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            woo hoo! you got your wallet back!

wonkawonkwonkchonkchonk...wonkawonkwonkchonkchonk. ..

come on, LL, strut with me now!

eeeeeh....see what happens when i share a latte with eric after having been caffeine-free for a fortnight?
                            Thanks and I'm dancing with you girl! It was great to get it back I cancelled
                            my MC and got one right away in the mail. Somebody has a kind soul at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua!

Caffeine is a wonderful thing!

Comment

Working...
                            X