About Leis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Leis

What are some of your favorite leis? Do you make leis? Plumerias grow pretty well in San Diego, I like to make plumeria leis for friends, they are pretty easy to make but some look difficult, requiring skill and training.

Re: About Leis

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    I like to make plumeria leis for friends, they are pretty easy to make but some look difficult, requiring skill and training.
    What an excellent skill to have, Kalalau. Maybe you can be inspired to learn the more complex ones - a handmade gift such as a lei is a very special item to give.

We get a lot of plumeria blossoms flown into Seattle from farms on Moloka`i, and the local halau are kept pretty busy making fresh lei for events.

Comment

People do love receiving leis, and it is a pleasure to give them, too. I have also made shell leis, there are many varieties of shells on the reefs and beaches here that make nice leis.

Comment

I don't like really strong-smelling flowers in my leis. I like them to smell good, but some of them are too much and I can't wear them more than a a few minutes. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of that particular flower.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

My friend has mine made up of white flowers. I don't know if they are lillies or orchids. She keeps my lei in her fridge until I arrive and presents myself and my jet-lag. Got to say that they don't have an overpowering smell.

Comment

I love pakalana and pua kenikeni but my favorite is gardenia. Pakalana is great because it lasts a long time with care. oh, and yellow ginger too.

and I think the plural of "Lei" is just Lei with no "s" which is not a letter used in `Olelo Hawaii. At least that is what a friend who speaks the language told me.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Stephanotis, pikake...mmm!

Hope this is not too far off the thread, but does anyone know where I could source a lei needle, mail order? My sisters' silver wedding anniversary is coming up, and I want to make her something really nice.
              Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

Aloha/hi ya,

Taskers sell those needles. They are curved. The one I go to is in Wavertree Road. I wouldn't have a clue how to put a Lei together but there are a lot of experts on here and I'm certain that you will get some assistance.

Also try Ethel Aausti'ns.
                Last edited by Barry; June 10, 2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Plumeria lei almost make themselves, the center of the flower says, Insert Thread Here, I just use a large sewing needle. Many other lei are complex, you'd need instruction and practice to get it right. Once I helped friends make jade plant lei for sale at the Merrie Monarch crafts sale. Jade plant is a true wonder of the world, the lei were amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsey View Post
                    Stephanotis, pikake...mmm!

Hope this is not too far off the thread, but does anyone know where I could source a lei needle, mail order? My sisters' silver wedding anniversary is coming up, and I want to make her something really nice.
                    Oooooo! Great idea, Betsey! Stephanotis! I have tons of it in bloom right now, outside my window. Should I go in long ways, or on the end? Maybe I can google it, for a photo! Thanks for the idea... I'm off to find a long needle.
                    barb

Comment

Snowbird, you lucky thing! Stephanotis, out your window?

I am really not an expert, all thumbs, but I guess you could go long ways, through the centre of the petals, or for a thicker effect go perpendicularly through the stem?

Thanks Barry, didn't think of Taskers!

Aloha, imaginary lei to all!

Comment

My friend uses a slightly curved but long needle when she is making a Lei. She threads the needle with dental floss which is very strong and looks good next to white flowers.

Comment

Dental floss! That's new on me, but a great idea!

Comment

The first plumeria of the year has opened here. Of course the scent always reminds me of Hawai'i. There are a lot of buds, we probably have about 20 plants but with cool summers here at the beach the last few years they haven't been prolific. They do like heat. One September when we had over 100 degrees for several days you could practically see the plants grow. In San Diego the best ones are inland a few miles, where its noticeably warmer. The biggest plumeria I have ever seen was in Yuma, Az. Even in Hawai'i they usually do noticeably better on the hotter, dry sides of the islands than on the cooler, wetter sides.

Comment

Watched a lady whip out a beautiful bright red yarn lei made of shiny red eyelash yarn; it looked like it was made of lehua flowers. It did not take long; she was making a bunch to mail to the mainland for a family member's sports team. Ribbon and yarn lei are very beautiful; lots of books available on how to make them.

Last year I noticed in Waimea Valley the guides were having some lei-making classes; the lei were mixed greens and blossoms, and from what we could see, the students' lei were working up quite prettily.

Comment

Working...
                              X