Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Apparently a lot of people in Portland, Oregon love foot carts and lunch wagons, to the point where they're calling it "food cart culture". I was looking at an article somewhere, which lead me to another, which lead me to Food Carts Portland.

    There's a cart called Brunch Box and they have something called an OMG! Burger, a/k/a The Redonkadonk:


    I couldn't find a photo of it (which may or may not be fortunate), but if you want a "basic" version of this without the egg, ham, bacon, and Spam, here you go:


    Forget your health, this is an instant heart attack party. I have not tried something like this yet, but if you're an avid walker or bike rider, you could burn this off in a few hours. Maybe.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Add some mayo and...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    ...I'm in!
    There you go.

    Portland is only about 4 hours away, so if I make it down there before the end of summer, I'll have to consider it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Found some photos of it:



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    what a coincidence. yesterday afternoon, eric and i were at the monster safeway complex on kapahulu avenue to watch the taping of the burgers on the edge burger genius contest. the taping was a food drive for the food bank plus they had a about fifteen MINIs on site since MINI of Hawaii was a sponsor and it was only a roll down the hill for us.

    doris gilbert's "bento burger" incorporates spam:

    Burger Name: Bento Burger
    Beef: Ground Chuck
    Cheese: Swiss
    Sauce: Teriyaki
    Toppings: Fried egg, spam, manoa lettuce

    unfortunately, her burger, if i am not mistaken, was not one of the top four finalists. i wonder if being driven to the show site in a MINI cooper on tv was enough of a consolation prize. she had a pretty wide-grinned smile when she was in the car....
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

    "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

    nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    what a coincidence. yesterday afternoon, eric and i were at the monster safeway complex on kapahulu avenue to watch the taping of the burgers on the edge burger genius contest. the taping was a food drive for the food bank plus they had a about fifteen MINIs on site since MINI of Hawaii was a sponsor and it was only a roll down the hill for us.

    doris gilbert's "bento burger" incorporates spam:

    Burger Name: Bento Burger
    Beef: Ground Chuck
    Cheese: Swiss
    Sauce: Teriyaki
    Toppings: Fried egg, spam, manoa lettuce

    unfortunately, her burger, if i am not mistaken, was not one of the top four finalists. i wonder if being driven to the show site in a MINI cooper on tv was enough of a consolation prize. she had a pretty wide-grinned smile when she was in the car....
    The teriyaki takes it over the top too. But yeah, a mini Cooper would be nice.

    I've never heard of Burgers On The Edge before. I just placed a link to it in my food blog. Normally if I have to resort to a burger when I'm back home, it's:

    W&M
    Tsukenjo
    maybe Zippy's

    A burger made with wagyu beef sounds really good. Is it really good?
    Last edited by johmbolaya; June 15th, 2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: wanted to add some more things and make an inquiry

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    it is definitely good, but also definitely pricier than W&M.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

    "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

    nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    it is definitely good, but also definitely pricier than W&M.
    I saw the menu and was like "ooh" but if it's of quality, it would be worth it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    As a war baby I was brought up on Spam (Specially processed artificial meat) Invented in Birkenhead just across the Mersey from where I now live.
    At this time Popeye cartoons were pushing spinache,,,,,, Yukkky,,,, I have never touched either since. (Yet my elder brother still loves Spam fritters.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Spam has now become expensive here as the compmany can now export to the European Islands.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As a war baby I was brought up on Spam (Specially processed artificial meat) Invented in Birkenhead just across the Mersey from where I now live.
    At this time Popeye cartoons were pushing spinache,,,,,, Yukkky,,,, I have never touched either since. (Yet my elder brother still loves Spam fritters.)
    Is your version of Spam different from the well-known pork shoulder blend?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Quote Originally Posted by johmbolaya View Post
    Is your version of Spam different from the well-known pork shoulder blend?

    We called it squirrells possoms and mice ! It was dreadful but must have improved if the can now sell it to Cyprus, Malta and other islands where they find it hard (expensive to import meat)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: How's this for a sandwich that utilizes Spam

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We called it squirrells possoms and mice ! It was dreadful but must have improved if the can now sell it to Cyprus, Malta and other islands where they find it hard (expensive to import meat)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •