Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

  1. #1

    Default Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    Hi. I'm trying to put together a Mmaster Tonic for cold and flus, and the recipe calls for freshly grated horseradish root. I've look practically everywhere, but can't seem to find it in our local supermarkets, including Wholefoods. Any suggestions where I might be able to find it? Thanx.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to put together a Mmaster Tonic for cold and flus, and the recipe calls for freshly grated horseradish root. I've look practically everywhere, but can't seem to find it in our local supermarkets, including Wholefoods. Any suggestions where I might be able to find it? Thanx.

    I bought some in your China town along with a tiny pot of horseradish sauce. If you live in Honolul, then I can give you directions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    I just saw some fresh Wasabi (Japanese horseradish) root at Don Quijote Kaheka today. Does that count?

    They were pretty tiny (1/2" thick at the most, about 4" long) for $5.99. There were only two left. Don't know how much you can grate from that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I bought some in your China town along with a tiny pot of horseradish sauce. If you live in Honolul, then I can give you directions.
    I shop in Chinatown frequently. Some directions as to which store would be appreciated.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    I just saw some fresh Wasabi (Japanese horseradish) root at Don Quijote Kaheka today. Does that count?

    They were pretty tiny (1/2" thick at the most, about 4" long) for $5.99. There were only two left. Don't know how much you can grate from that.
    Not sure if it's the right kind. I called Don Quiote the other day. Said they don't stock horseradish. Hmmm... I'd have to look into that further. Curious.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to put together a Mmaster Tonic for cold and flus, and the recipe calls for freshly grated horseradish root. I've look practically everywhere, but can't seem to find it in our local supermarkets, including Wholefoods. Any suggestions where I might be able to find it? Thanx.
    I've seen it at Marukai (the membership store) at Dillingham. Ward location may also carry. If you are or know a Marukai member, you can get it there. It's pricey, though.
    **************************************
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle View Post
    I've seen it at Marukai (the membership store) at Dillingham. Ward location may also carry. If you are or know a Marukai member, you can get it there. It's pricey, though.
    Thanks, but I think you're referring to Wasabi Root. It has similar qualities, but is a different root altogether. Different genome, is what I'm told. I'll check out those sites, though. I might get lucky.

    Thus far, I had to resort to getting a processed (paste) version of horseradish root at Y.Hata's in a 5 Ib. container. The additives were soy bean oil, salt and white vinegar. Pretty harmless, so I figured it was all right. Other brands had all kinds of crap in it.

    Btw, my Master Tonic will be ready today. Can't wait to try it. I'll be taking some on my Alaskan Cruise this weekend in case I get the plague.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •