Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else getting charged $7.95 monthly by fedgrantusa.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else getting charged $7.95 monthly by fedgrantusa.com?

This came to my attention sometime in mid May when I looked at my credit card statement and saw this charge for $7.95.

For this small amount, I questioned my wife, my son...but they knew nothing of this...

This plus TWO other charges, $9.95 (networkagenda.com) and $39.95 (profitggl) appeared within about ten days of each other...I questioned my credit card company to find out more info...they researched and found out they all originated within the state of UTAH. I told the credit card company I am disputing these 3 charges, and they were very prompt in reimbursing me, and indicating to the company that I am disputing the charges (darn right I am!).

Well, this company charged me again around the 14th of this month, so I called that toll-free number to find out who/what the heck is this company, and why are they charging me? Thought I was speaking to someone in India...but then the female person who said she was 'Julia' said I was calling a call-center in the Philippines (I had called after 10pm two nights ago). She said the company provided services and educational materials through grant programs...I asked for more info...but then she told me ' can't retrieve any more info at this time'. I was SO UPSET!!!

My credit card company today just reimbursed me again the $7.95 that this firm charged my charge account.

I looked up their website (as above) and guess what...they have a subscreen that pretty much says 'if you need help finding more information about a recent credit card charge, to call the toll free number or fill in the box with my response...(I chose to fill in the box with my [subtle but angered response]).

We'll see what'll happen...in the meantime, I copied and saved a file on this exact screen and response that I provided them [for my future protection].

I'll be more upset if I see more monthly charges (like if the other 2 charges show up AGAIN within the next few days from the same firms/ that 'based' in UTAH!

Re: anybody else getting charged $7.95 monthly by fedgrantusa.com?

Good grief! How'd they get your credit card number in the first place?

Comment

beats me...

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
        beats me...
        That's scary.

Comment

Maybe you bought something from a Mormon door-to-door salesman?

Comment

If you don't have too many automatic rebillings on your credit card that has these bogus charges keep reappearing...heck, even if you do...it might be prudent of you to go forth and have the bank behind the card issue you a new account number. It might be a pain to have to re-register a new account number with those who legitimately need to have it, (Internet providers, charities, utilities, etc.), but as it stands now, (based on what I've read in your post), I think it's better to play it safe and get a new account number, as you really don't have any idea who else might have your current account number.

Comment

Check your mobile phone bill too. I found a recurring $10.00 charge that got removed and blocked.

Comment

Devious and resentful thieves!

I've had similar scammers, and one continues to haunt me.
                It started when I bought a cell-phone ring-tone from "Ringtonetimes," online for 99¢. They started charging me $39.95 a month after that, no explanation or warning (it was the fine print under "No Further Obligation!" that I didn't see).
                They refused to stop charging me (based in Hong Kong) so I eventually changed my card number.
                That p'd them off, so they hacked my computer, got my entire e-mail address list, fake signed me up for "Multiply.com" and sent invitations to everyone. I stopped that one, then they entered me onto a mailing request list with my home phone number that has people calling me saying "you signed up saying you wanted calls for online money-making systems."

Now, I either use PayPal or if I HAVE to use a credit card online I use one I got just for that purpose (I use it for nothing else) which gladly will reverse unauthorized charges - ("what's in YOUR wallet?"), so it's all in one place. Also, they have a program to block charges from anyone you select, but as Hawaiiguy found out, these are a network of companies that share info.

Still, it is wise to check all your statements monthly, and question ANYTHING you don't recognize. There's a lot of scammers out there.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Every once in a while I get bogus charges on my credit card. The first time it happened, I freaked out, changed my credit card, etc., but I guess I've gotten used to them now. It's been happening every few months for years. I just call the CC company and they take it out, no problem. They've never given me any hassle about it.

Comment

Always monitor your CC charges ON-Line and definately keep track of YOUR actual spending debits and so forth. Always question the odd ones that ocassionally appear and they do.

Comment

well, got back from an outing today..only to find on the recorder a message from our credit card center'sr fraud detection department...thinking this was a hoax(though we did have one call and leave a message a few years ago), I called instead the toll-free number on the back of the card...

well, two more transactions occurred over the weekend...one being from ISRAEL for 'prescription charges'...we told the operator that wasn't us!!!

In the end...they informed us they will close out the account and issue us new credit card numbers!

I hate these blood sucking firms who think they can get away with $$$ from one's credit cards!

BACHI!!!!i

----
                      wow...happy to finally post my 100th!

Comment

You are very wise not to use your credit card unless tou have to. I only use mine if I am going abroad and need to hire a car.
                        Can I also say beware of mobile/cell phone rip offs !!!
                        You may get a text to say you have won £10 in a poker game but once you respond, they will text you again and again at the charge of £5.
                        My advice, is don't accept texts from people you don't know.

Barry

Comment

What's so bad about using a credit card all the time? I use mine as often as I can... bills, gas, everyday spending, big-ticket items... hell, I'd pay my mortgage with it if I could.

I pay it off every month so I don't have to pay interest, and the monthly statement is a great way to track my spending. Best of all, I earn free trips on a regular basis.

Comment

One thing many people do is to have a credit card that you use ONLY for online transactions, so that if the number gets stolen that way, you close it and still have your primary card for anything else (restaurants, groceries, fuel, etc.). "Experts" also suggest that you do NOT use your debit card online, as it may not have the same protections as one of the major credit cards, and the account tied to the debit card can be drained in a very quick time.

Comment

Back when online transactions weren't that common, I used to have a card just for online purchases. I had the hardest time with that card. I purposely kept the limit on it very low, but the bank kept raising it.

You would NOT believe how much of a pain it is to get a limit lowered. There's no regular way to do it, so it's a matter of endless phone calls and visits down to the bank. Six months after I'd finally gotten it lowered, they'd automatically raise it again, and I'd have to start the process all over again.

Nowadays, most credit card companies offer protection against online fraud, so I don't sweat it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X