Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1.9 Million Fine for Illegal Downloads of Songs

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    ; and took offense while acting like a doddering, diapered curmudgeon.
    I am so impressed to know that you've increased your respect of kupuna.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Do we have a point here any longer (or at least one related to the thread's title)? Or may I stop checking updates to a thread that once held interest for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Do we have a point here any longer (or at least one related to the thread's title)? Or may I stop checking updates to a thread that once held interest for me?
        Sorry to drive you away, but I believe in pointing out glaring inconsiderations about kupuna, regardless of the tread topic. Although, I have tried to keep it to the point and to few sentences each time.

Comment

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” ~~~ Twain
          In elementary school we had food fights....
          So, is this what we can call a 'fool fight?'
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            So, is this what we can call a 'fool fight?'
            And the fools can't have a fight all by themselves - it takes another fool to make it one.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              ....I believe in pointing out glaring inconsiderations about kupuna, regardless of the tread topic....
              that's wholly honorable, amati. and your application of the word "kupuna" (which, to eric and me, not only connotes age but wisdom) is extravagantly more generous than we would deign to use.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                "Gramps" is an honorific; it's no one's fault but his own that FM read it poorly and took offense while acting like a doddering, diapered curmudgeon.
                I don't know if FMs response indicated he read it poorly and took offense; I won't touch that.
                But remember, taking offense is just as bad as giving offense.

You can call me "Gramps" any time. I earned it. I'm not a doddering, diapered curmudgeon yet, (maybe just a curmudgeon w/o diapers).

I resent this overwhelming "shoulding" however. Which one of us thinks they are qualified to tell the rest of us what we "should" do may probably be better off turning that microscope inward, and leave us normal folk alone.

Never let people 'should' on you!
                ~ ~

Comment

I don't know if FMs response indicated he read it poorly and took offense; I won't touch that.
                  But remember, taking offense is just as bad as giving offense.

You can call me "Gramps" any time. I earned it. I'm not a doddering, diapered curmudgeon yet, (maybe just a curmudgeon w/o diapers).

I resent this overwhelming "shoulding" however. Which one of us thinks they are qualified to tell the rest of us what we "should" do may probably be better off turning that microscope inward, and leave us normal folk alone.

Never let people 'should' on you!

well, FM did refer to eric's calling him "gramps" as name-calling then did the discussion board version of stomping off petulantly. in my opinion. i'm sure FM would say he sauntered off jauntily or something like that. *shrug*
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I cannot quite figure out who is trying to say what between the lines. So, I'll leave my straight forward message at this, and then drop the subject:
                    "Please show respect for your elders."
                    Kudos for those who do.
                    Shame on those who don't.
                    This has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting other's opinions on other topics, it is focused strictly on respect for kupuna.
                    Peace to all.

Comment

LOL! Wow. Two days and 15 posts after my last entry, my previous post is the last one that is both on-topic and free of any name-calling and personal attacks.

*sigh!* I guess it will be up to me to get this thread back on track. (Although I will not be replying or responding to anyone who is incapable of keeping personal attacks or agendas out of their posts.)

I had to suppress a giggle when I read this quote from Jammie Thomas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5103122.shtml

She said, "They're using me as pretty much to show the rest of them don't fight back or this is what's going to happen to you."

Ooooohhh! And as she was saying that, she could also hear the sound of black helicopters.........coming for her.

Some people may find her to be a sympathetic figure. But I don't, and here's why. (And if anyone disagrees with me and has their own opinion, fine. This is just MY PERSONAL OPINION that I'm stating here. Nothing more and nothing less.)

1) Jammie Thomas broke the law.

2) She made the choice not to accept an out-of-court settlement that the RIAA offered, which led to the music industry's first ever trial of an individual accused of illegal file sharing.

3) Having successfully litigated this test case, a spokeswoman from the RIAA said her organization was once again willing to negotiate a settlement, which is likely to be a few thousand dollars.

One way that Thomas could get out of paying the RIAA one red cent is to declare bankruptcy. But of course, this would have consequences on her personal finances and credit rating. If the RIAA is willing to offer a settlement of, say, $3000 and they were willing to let her pay it in installments, that's hardly an unreasonable proposition.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                        So, I'll leave my straight forward message at this, and then drop the subject:
                        "Please show respect for your elders."
                        Kudos for those who do.
                        Shame on those who don't.
                        This has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting other's opinions on other topics, it is focused strictly on respect for kupuna.
                        Peace to all.
                        Well that is a VERY clear message, no doubt.
                        We know your preference, and it is an honorable one.
                        I have a lot of respect for you, Amati, and don't have a clue to your age, though I'm sure I'm older than you. I respect you for who you are and how you present yourself.
                        I respect my elders, but not unequivocally. If one of my elders is being a dictator, or a Troll, a know-it-all 'I'm better than you' infant, or a sideswiper, I lose my respect quickly.
                        I'll respect those elders that act like elders, but I'll quickly shoot down 'infant' elders - you see, such can mislead an entire culture.

If you were brought up differently, I'll respect your actions. But do NOT tell me what I should or should not do. I may have been brought up differently, and you are disrespecting my culture.

You do your thing, I'll do mine, and I'll respect your choice if you'll respect mine.

I realize this was important for you to say; I'm trying to deal with this gently.
                        ~ ~

Comment

LOL! Wow. Two days and 15 posts after my last entry, my previous post is the last one that is both on-topic and free of any name-calling and personal attacks.
                          Well, guess it's time for you to pat yourself on the back again.....
                          Even though you are DEAD wrong. Amati's last post had no name-calling, nor did many other posts since your last entry, when you said:
                          I now take my leave.
                          So what happened? Are you taking your leave back? (Or giving it back?)
                          Not that you aren't entitled to change your mind...
                          "It's a woman's right to change her mind!"
                          And this is the age of gender-age-race equality, after all.
                          But if you are consistant, you'll be less confusing.

Take your leave, or stay, whatever you want, just don't BS us. Please.
                          Last edited by Kaonohi; June 23, 2009, 10:11 PM.
                          ~ ~

Comment

Well, guess it's time for you to pat yourself on the back again.....
                            Even though you are DEAD wrong. Amati's last post had no name-calling.
                            Ummm, what part of my saying that my now next-to-last previous post (#9) was "the last one that is both on-topic and free of any name-calling and personal attacks" did you not get?

Not to pick on Amati, but his/her's last post, while free of name-calling, had nothing to do with the topic of illegal downloading, Kaonohi.

But Kaonohi, up until now, you haven't made any comments on the topic of this thread. What is your take on the matter? What course of action do you think Jammie Thomas will next take?
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Ummm, what part of my saying that my now next-to-last previous post (#9) was "the last one that is both on-topic and free of any name-calling and personal attacks" did you not get?

Not to pick on Amati, but his/her's last post, while free of name-calling, had nothing to do with the topic of illegal downloading, Kaonohi.

But Kaonohi, up until now, you haven't made any comments on the topic of this thread. What is your take on the matter? What course of action do you think Jammie Thomas will next take?
                              Funny, I thought you just said:
                              (Although I will not be replying or responding to anyone who is incapable of keeping personal attacks or agendas out of their posts.)
                              Change your mind again? So quick? This WAS a personal agenda.

Did you ever read the forum rules? I did, and there is nothing that says we must adhere to the OP and refrain from responding to individual posts. Although I'm interested in the subject I don't have any opinion about the law or its application. I respond where I think it is appropriate. Is that a problem for you? Do you feel it's your duty to 'should' on others?

Y'know, I guess I just misread your self-congratulatory statement. Please forgive me if I have offended you. You are probably right. Guess I got the 'both' confused with and/or, maybe I have lysdexia or something.

Sometimes a person's thought processes are as important as the original subject, and it would be a shame if we couldn't address that. I thought Amati's post deserved a reply. And I thought you took your leave of the thread, then you come back with.... I'm not sure what.... looked like an attack on the plaintiff....

Please don't view this as a personal attack, but as a request for clarification.
                              Are you back in the thread? To add more? Or to point out that that last 15 threads have moved on to a tangential subject? (I think we knew that already.) And are you really not going to respond to posts with personal agendas? Or have I misunderstood you yet again?

Oh, and I apologise for saying you were DEAD wrong. I acknowledge my mistake, and I thank you for pointing it out so politely.
                              Last edited by Kaonohi; June 23, 2009, 11:34 PM.
                              ~ ~

Comment

Did you ever read the forum rules? I did, and there is nothing that says we must adhere to the OP and refrain from responding to individual posts. Although I'm interested in the subject I don't have any opinion about the law or its application. I respond where I think it is appropriate. Is that a problem for you? Do you feel it's your duty to 'should' on others?
                                I just asked for your opinion on the matter, Kaonohi. After all, the thread started out with the idea of talking about the topic of illegal music downloading. If you have nothing to say on the matter, then so be it.

Y'know, I guess I just misread your self-congratulatory statement. Please forgive me if I have offended you. You are probably right. Guess I got the 'both' confused with and/or, maybe I have lysdexia or something.
                                Don't sweat it. I figured you might have genuinely misread what I wrote instead of deliberately creating huhu. I'm trying to give people the benefit of the doubt *first* before thinking the worst of them. In this case, I'm glad I did.

Sometimes a person's thought processes are as important as the original subject, and it would be a shame if we couldn't address that. I thought Amati's post deserved a reply. And I thought you took your leave of the thread, then you come back with.... I'm not sure what.... looked like an attack on the plaintiff....

Please don't view this as a personal attack, but as a request for clarification.
                                Are you back in the thread? To add more? Or to point out that that last 15 threads have moved on to a tangential subject? (I think we knew that already.) And are you really not going to respond to posts with personal agendas? Or have I misunderstood you yet again?
                                What I really meant was that I was taking leave of any further discussion with Mixed Plate Broker, not the entire thread itself. My fault for not making that clear.

Oh, and I apologise for saying you were DEAD wrong. I acknowledge my mistake, and I thank you for pointing it out so politely.
                                As I said, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, which I why did not respond in kind.

What I did not give the benefit of the doubt to was someone calling me "Gramps." You may be okay with someone calling you that, but I'm not. And here are my reasons:

To put it simply, it's rude to refer to anyone you just met or don't know well enough as gramps. It's the kind of term you might use with a relative or someone else you have a close enough relationship with. But with anyone else, it's rude. Out in the real world where people talk to each other face-to-face, who in this forum would refer to an elderly person they just met as "gramps?" Who wants to admit they don't have manners? Uh huh.

Mixed Plate Broker has never met me in person. He does not know anything about my family background. Heck, he does not even know my name. So he can't say that his calling me gramps was intended as a term of affection or familiarity. Whenever I've heard that term used by a stranger, it's usually an insult. And if there was any doubt about that, then his "doddering, know-it-all octogenarian" crack erased that.
                                Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 24, 2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X