Juneteenth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juneteenth!

Today is June 19th, also referred to as Juneteenth.

It is no longer just a Texas state holiday. As of May 2009, 31 states recognize Freedom Day. Even though my home state of SC isn't on that list, there's lots of celebrations going on there anyway.

This website is a great resource; it describes the evolution of Juneteenth celebrations since its inception in 1865, how it impacted the African American community, and has listings of celebrations in every state and internationally.

A round of virtual strawberry soda pop for all!

Re: Juneteenth!

do you know if any celebrations are planned for Honolulu, like maybe this weekend?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Here's the list from Hawaii. It looks like just one thing posted, and that is over.

While riding home tonight, I asked DS if he had ever heard of this holiday. Now he is primarily a southern boy who spent every year of his schooling (so far at least) learning the information presented in Black History Month in February of each year. He said no; evidently this holiday is not something they teach the children.

So we had a lesson about the ending of slavery in the USA; he was under the impression it continued until the early 1900's. Now since he has moved to HI, he did learn that slavery was abolished first in Hawaii.

Comment

I lived in the Bay Area for a few years and attended several "Juneteenth" celebrations in Oakland. Sorry they don't have one here.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Of course most people don't understand the significance, the importance.

What we must do is continue to celebrate the freedom, until it becomes inculcated in our culture. Make MORE of it, derive rituals, create parties people want to join. (Make it fun, like Mardi Gras!)

Freedom for one means freedom for all. So long as one remains unfree we are all slaves.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X