Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha

Aloha All,

I've been reading the site for a couple weeks for advice on moving to and living in HI- it's so nice to see such a warm and helpful community here on HT. My wife and I are considering joining my two aunts who live on Kauai. She is a nurse practioner and I'm a high school teacher.

We'll be back on the island in a few weeks and have been looking into job openings and real estate listings- but, that doesn't tell us the small but important items of living in Hawaii and the ins-and-outs of Kauai specifically.

Can anyone tell me other issues affecting Kauai recently- maybe things that aren't obvious, good or bad? We currently live in upstate New York (i.e. Syracuse and Finger Lakes area), and neither of us would be upset if we never see a snowflake again, but we are fearful of making a huge move and then finding that we can not make it. I've read through some of the older threads about moving to Hawaii- I'm wondering if there are any newer things I should be aware of, such as with jobs, housing, crime, shopping (we already know milk is expensive- we even took a picture of the price tag of a gallon last year because we were in such shock lol), etc?

Again, it's nice to join such a strong community.

Mahalo.

Re: Aloha

My Aloha from England should go through this time. Welcome.

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to HT.

Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha Kauai

Aloha Camber. You are in the right place. HT is a bunch of great people (with a few weirdos).

I've heard no specific problems with Kauai of late, but it does to get an unfair excess of hurricane damage when we get one, which is rare. I got a feeling that future hurricanes are on a different track due to climate change.

The worst thing, if you go to Kauai to live is that I will be very jealous.
        My favorite island, my favorite people.

NP's may be in pretty good demand, Wilcox hospital should be your first try.

HS teachers will be... probably intermittent, until you get established. Remember to check private and charter schools as well as public.

Save me a place when you get there...
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. And Kaonohi, thank you for the advice. Wilcox is defintely one of the places my wife is looking. I am hoping my 14 years of teaching experience will make me an attractive prospect, for either public or private schools, but I hear the govenor may be cutting public jobs. I'm willing to work in other fields- would be worth it to live in such a paradise- researching what's out there.

As for the 'weirdos', they keep things interesting.

Comment

Hi Camber,

I retired as an Educationalist, yet friends in Hawai'i tell me that there is a call for teachers in special education. It is hard working with children with special needs but also very rewarding.

Good Luck

Barry

Comment

Working...
            X