Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the Midwest

Hello,
    My name is Susie. I am from the Midwest. I live in Iowa, but I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri. I have unfortunatly never been to Hawaii. Such a visit is very expensive. The thing is, (and I don't know where it really started) I constantly dream about Hawaii. I don't want to take a vacation to Hawaii, I want to really know about it and experience the real Hawaii. I am the type of person that will try to learn everything I can about something I take an interest in. In the last six months I have rented every movie that takes place in Hawaii (although I am sure only a small fraction of those movies truely represent the real Hawaii, they were still mostly fun to watch). I have read every bit of information I could find on Hawaii and the history of her people. I even called The Big Wind Kite Factory on Molokai and talked to a lovely lady named Betty. She sold me a book called Pidgen to the Max by Pepo (very amusing, by the way). All of this has not satisfied my appitite. I want to talk to real people. I don't want to pretend to be some one I'm not. I don't want to disrespect people or the culture in any way. I don't really have much of a need to pick brains for information, I have google and wikipedia for that, I just want to know people. I realize I can't really know people through talking on a forum, but I can converse -- which is the first step in any level of relationship with people. One day I will get to visit the fantastic land of Hawaii. I hope it will be soon. But, until then I hope to converse with people lucky and blessed enough to live there.
    To add a little more about me -- I am a 27 year old stay at home mom. My husband is a manager at a store that sells art and sports memorabilia. I have one son of three years old. I help my mother who lives across the street with her back yard garden. We sell vegetables and beaded jewelry I have crafted at the local farmers market on Saturdays. I love to cook and bake and I love coffee more than most.
    I found HawaiiThreads after it was mentioned on the Tripadvisor.com forums. I also read Punaweb.org forums as well.
    Thank you for reading, and I hope to talk with you again soon.
    Susie

Re: Hello from the Midwest

Aloha Susie.

I'm 1stwahine. Welcome to Hawaiithreads.com.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Good to meet you 1stwahine.

Originally posted by susie View Post
      She sold me a book called Pidgen to the Max by Pepo (very amusing, by the way).
      What a terrible spelling error!! So sorry!! It was Pidgin to da Max by Peppo that I read.

Comment

Originally posted by susie View Post
        What a terrible spelling error!! So sorry!! It was Pidgin to da Max by Peppo that I read.
        No worries. I'm not of a speller myself. I write from my heart.

See ya on the forum!

1stwahine
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha, Susie. I don't live in Hawai`i (I'm in Seattle), but I visit there often, and do business with musicians and record companies based there - my sweetie (to whom I refer here as "the Alpha Female" or just "AF") is from Kane`ohe on O`ahu, so we spend time with her family regularly.

And I grew up in Iowa - Des Moines & Cedar Rapids - then moved to Seattle in 1984. I have a daughter just a couple years older than you, still living in Iowa. Where in Iowa are you? Never mind - I see from another thread that you're in the beautiful Mississippi River city of Davenport. I used to do concert recordings of the Bix Beiderbecke festival for public radio back in the early '80s.
          Last edited by Leo Lakio; June 28, 2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Hi Susie,

I'm bumping this thread as an off shoot from the Molokai thread because it probably fits better here. I want to talk a bit about how you can come to HI for a visit. As someone who seems to spend her life traveling back and forth, I've learned a trick or two.

While it is true that someone can spend an absolute fortune on a hawaiian vacation, you can also get here (there - sometimes I have no idea where I am ) for less money than you would spend in a resort/beach town on the mainland. It just depends on where you go. I am much more familiar with Maui than I am with Oahu so I am going to give you examples for that.

Look at a ficticious vacation........

A typical 2 week stay in Wildwood NJ (just south of Atlantic City but cheaper and a typical shore town) in the middle of the summer - peak season will run you about $3500 for the room/condo (going at $250/night). Because you live in the midwest, you would have to fly in and rent a car or drive yourself. If you flew, it would be about $250 per person and $500 for a rental car. If you drove, it would be 3-4 days and a couple of hundred in gas. So, bottom line, you are looking at $4000 not including food (at the height of summer, food costs are about the same as in HI) or "activities" - which are also about the same cost.

Now, a 2 week stay in Kihei in the summer (which is off-season). The flight will run you about $700 per person (we paid $704 per for our next trip coming up) You can easily find nice condos that rent for $80 - $90 per night. We've paid less, but we often stay longer. A rental car would run you about $400 for the same time. Total cost - $3060 (assuming $90/night).

It takes a little research - watching airfares, searching VRBO and so on, but it can be cheaper! (Geez, I should work for dbedt )

Anyway, I sincerely hope you get to visit soon.

Comment

Aloha and welcome Susie. I see you "visited" my profile here - sorry not much to view in terms of information! But it's great you are here on HT and I hope
              you enjoy and learn a lot. I learn more here everyday than I would have
              ever imagined! Hang in there and a hui hou - "Leash"

Comment

Aloha Susie,

I joined this forum because I was moved by your desire to move to Molokai. Please read my intro thread if you ever come back.

I have things to say to you if you are indeed serious about packing up everything and relocating to Molokai. I don't live there, but have visited twice. I loved it, but it was not for me and my family. I felt as if I was invading - it was nothing in particular, but just the energy of Molokai "told me" I was not welcome for anything other than a visit - a short visit at that.

Beautiful yes, but just because a place is beautiful it does not mean that one should rightfully live there.

Comment

I grew up in Hawaii, and I'm just back from the Midwest. I find Kansas City a really cool place. (I went to college in Columbia)

Every place has it plusses and minuses, its attractions and distractions.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Agree with you totally. It just depends on which pluses matter most, which minuses you can live with most.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      Every place has it plusses and minuses, its attractions and distractions.
                      Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                      Agree with you totally. It just depends on which pluses matter most, which minuses you can live with most.
                      And whether you are blessed with the kind of attitude that finds far more pluses than minuses, wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
                      X