Thread: ID Avatars

Unhappy ID Avatars

In the past month of unusual celebrity deaths, I have noticed a trend to swapping out identifying avatars with political statements....

Well, it's your choice, but I miss Anapuni's swirl hand, and scrivner's shorebird, among others.....

Please bring them back when you can.... it's almost like recognizing your face!

Politics come and go, but true friends are forever.

Come back!!!!!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Default Re: ID Avatars

I'm not smart enough to change mine. I was barely lucky to get the surfing Jack up the first time! So you know at least one will always stay the same. And it is weird when they change...it's like- who dat?

Can't think of anything creative this time

You can change the avatar in the User CP section. Also when you change the avatar (as well as the signature) all of your old post will have the updated avatar displayed.

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but Helen, I just wanted to chime in to say thanks for providing the ready-made avatars! I've not seen that option on any other boards I post at, so I think it's a very handy, user-friendly option. I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to avatars, so it was useful for someone like me.

And it is weird when they change...it's like- who dat?
    Hee! Same here. It's almost like doing a double-take when someone gets a drastic haircut/makeover. Like Kaonohi said, it's like recognizing your friends' faces!
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by KeleiGrrrl View Post
    Hope this isn't too off-topic, but Helen, I just wanted to chime in to say thanks for providing the ready-made avatars!
    Your thanks is sort of misplaced. I had no hand in setting up those avatars, I have no idea if Ryan (the admin) imported those avatars from someplace else or they came with vbulletin.

My kolea avatar was meant to be temporary. I can't remember what prompted the brief switch, but it might have had something to do with Glen's mejiro. Anyway, I'll probably switch it back to an actual picture of me once some of this silliness with the green avatars mellows out. It's not bad here, but you should see Twitter nowadays.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

I changed my avatar on HT, Twitter & FaceBook. My "green" avatar is not done in silliness. I wanted to make a statement of my support for the dissenters in Iran who are trying to make a change and are being made to suffer greatly for their efforts. I was directly affected, through my employers & their families, back in 1979 when the revolution in Iran happened. and I feel very strongly about their situation today. I will change my avatar back to the "hand" soon but for now, I'll stick with green!

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Anyway, I'll probably switch it back to an actual picture of me once some of this silliness with the green avatars mellows out. It's not bad here, but you should see Twitter nowadays.
    Define 'green avatar'.

lol! Lol! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    Define 'green avatar'.
    Green (adj): "Of the color green." (m-w.com)

Avatar (n): an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user (m-w.com)

With all due respect, I do not consider your support for the dissenters silly, but I consider the green avatars silly, not to mention much of the furor surrounding the election. I'll save the latter for the other thread, in which I have been declining to participate, but I do consider the former to be about as meaningful as "supporting" a football team by painting one's face in the team's colors. Knowing you, Anapuni808, you've probably already taken some kind of meaningful action to back up your convictions. I seriously doubt the overwhelming majority of other green-avatared friends has done likewise. Painting an avatar green all by itself is about as likely to change anything in Iran as painting mine blue is likely to change anything in the NFL.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Your thanks is sort of misplaced. I had no hand in setting up those avatars, I have no idea if Ryan (the admin) imported those avatars from someplace else or they came with vbulletin.
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realize. I just thought it was a handy feature. Thanks to whomever, then.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I changed my avatar on HT, Twitter & FaceBook. My "green" avatar is not done in silliness. I wanted to make a statement of my support for the dissenters in Iran who are trying to make a change and are being made to suffer greatly for their efforts. I was directly affected, through my employers & their families, back in 1979 when the revolution in Iran happened. and I feel very strongly about their situation today. I will change my avatar back to the "hand" soon but for now, I'll stick with green!
    I don't feel it's any sillier than people having yellow ribbons to show support for their loved ones overseas. Or pink ribbons for breast cancer. (now, the pink EVERYTHING the stores sell is a little out of hand).

I appreciate the help, Helen, but I'm still not smart enough to put a new one up. So ya'll can pretend my doggie is green for now!

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Green (adj): "Of the color green." (m-w.com)

Avatar (n): an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user (m-w.com)
    I really meant the symbolism of the green. I guess I should've been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    I appreciate the help, Helen, but I'm still not smart enough to put a new one up.
    In the User CP section there is an option called Edit Avatar. From there you can upload your Avatar's image from the web or from a file on your computer.

It does not allow you to actually edit an existing image, for that you will need to use your computer's local software to make that change (for example Paint on a Windows based computer).

I really meant the symbolism of the green. I guess I should've been more specific.
    It's for the protesters in Iran.

This explains the effort.

And this is the thread on our forum.

When I said "green avatar," I wasn't speaking symbolically. I was speaking literally. See anapuni808's and Vanguard's avatars for an example, or check just about anyone's Twitterstream.
    GrouchyTeacher.com

I don't feel it's any sillier than people having yellow ribbons to show support for their loved ones overseas.
    I once saw a yellow-ribbon magnet on a car; it said "WE SUPPORT...
    the overseas company that manufactures these magnetic ribbons."

Susie - green is the color the protestors in Irag are using to represent the candidate Mousavi. If you look at photos or video of the protests you will see them wearing green armbands, head scarves etc. In the first couple of days, some of the players on the Iranian soccer team were wearing green armbands during their matches.

PS: like Leo Lakio, I was also from Iowa. Des Moines to be specific - it's where I was born but haven't been there since leaving in 1961 except for a few days visit in 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I once saw a yellow-ribbon magnet on a car; it said "WE SUPPORT...
    the overseas company that manufactures these magnetic ribbons."
    I meant REAL yellow ribbons. Those car magnet thingies crack me up.

And, Kaonohi...you totally drank the Kool-Aid!

Personally, I'm glad Frankie's Market changed his avatar from his "alter-ego" Bob Jones to something that cracks me up every time I look at it.

And if you can smash a personal expression of any kind - political, religious, artistic, whatever - into that tiny box, go right ahead. Just remember, sometimes they can be difficult for makule eyes to grasp!

Exclamation Re: ID Avatars

And, Kaonohi...you totally drank the Kool-Aid!
    (GULP!) Whooo!

Hey, I tried to get the letters in, but I couldn't, but since green is the current color of FREEDOM, I'm jumping on board.

Iran, Iraq (who also uses a 7-point star) or any other peoples who want freedom -I support your efforts.

I am against American politicians who seek to erode our Bill of Rights (and they are out there in force, and they are Democrats!), and I am against any political system that seeks to abolish or impede freedom.

We were created to be free. If that's not true, why do we keep striving for freedom when it is denied?

FREE IRAN
    FREE ELECTIONS
    END IMPERIALISM
    FREE THE PEOPLE

And in America: VOTE FREEDOM!
    before it's too late.
    ~ ~

We need to FREE our wallets from the wrath of high taxes imposed by DEMOCRATS on Hawaii's citizens, business and tourists. The nightmare of more taxes must end.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Exclamation Re: ID Avatars

Because this thread is wandering into non-ID Avatar territory, I have moved my response to MEL here. (Just click on the highlighted word here.")

Any wishing to continue that discussion may do so there.

This is in respect for people who get frustrated when a thread evolves into something else....

This one especially for Leo Lakio.
    ~ ~