Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Obama Years

Default The Obama Years

Obama's first year is near completion.
    With the recent passing of his health care for better or worse, and surviving the right's death march obsession and obstructionism towards his very existence, I give him a healthy 6 of 10 mark.
    To have managed so well in the face of such overwhelming adversity, combined with the total lack of support from the cons is an astonishing accomplishment from The Man From Oahu.
    Many 'jury's still out' factors keep him from scoring higher in my book, but he's still got many of those issues in focus.
    Many things left to do, just from the original list, but he's gotten done a surprising amount that is proving positive in these short months.

Default Re: The Obama Years

If 9 or 10 is an 'A', 8 is a 'B', 7 is a 'C', and 6 is a 'D', then I agree. I wouldn't call it healthy, though.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

According to the polls, the only issue people really care about right now is the economy. It is too early to judge on that issue. At matapule's fale, we have learned to cope with the situation, and like $4 gasoline, you eventually get used to it. Still have plenny fun.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/...6241261169427/

I voted for Ralph Nader. He's a tough grader.

Too soon to tell, the mid-term elections will say a lot of how the American public feels about him and the Dems, because it could easily carry over into the 2012 elections. But way too early to tell I think after one year....look at Bush within 9 months of office his approval ratings were 90%, similiar numbers Senior Bush had and in a matter of time their ratings were in the toilet.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    But way too early to tell I think after one year....look at Bush within 9 months of office his approval ratings were 90%
    No! Please don't let us be THAT stupid! Where are my fellow 10%ers?

Yes, it's only one year, but packed full of notable accomplishments and non. And all has happened with the right being as obstinately obstructionist and partisan as possible while we are still waging two wars and in multi-crisis mode as a country. Typically filthy non-caring cowards. Constantly proving they don't deserve any place in governing our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    look at Bush within 9 months of office his approval ratings were 90%, similiar numbers
    9 months after Bush took office, the country had just undergone a major terrorist attack, so that's not really a fair president to judge Obama against.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Well to be honest nothing's in the bag until it's IN THE BAG. What's in Obama's bag? Accepting the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    What's in Obama's bag?
    Oooh ooh! Lemme guess! Sunglasses, sunscreen, Foodland Maika'i card, The Bus December 2009 pass -- OK maybe not the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Oooh ooh! Lemme guess! Sunglasses, sunscreen, Foodland Maika'i card, The Bus December 2009 pass -- OK maybe not the last one.
    At least he got that done.

Well to be honest nothing's in the bag until it's IN THE BAG. What's in Obama's bag? Accepting the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing.
    He replaced a lying war monger of the worst kind by not continuing that mind set, and regardless of sending more troops he aims to leave the area. Bush planned on staying, forever.
    Nobel Peace Prize? A mere trinket of thanx for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    He replaced a lying war monger of the worst kind by not continuing that mind set, and regardless of sending more troops he aims to leave the area. Bush planned on staying, forever.
    Nobel Peace Prize? A mere trinket of thanx for that.
    He still hasn't done anything yet.

He still hasn't done anything yet.
    Major, historic Health Care revision? Oh, that's right, the Repubs are taking credit for that.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Major, historic Health Care revision? Oh, that's right, the Repubs are taking credit for that.
    I believe the virtue of said revision is under serious debate at this time.

I was under the impression that President Obama and the democrats would fight hard for a single payer system or a public option. I did not see that here. The democrats essentially were taking cues from Lieberman who pooh poohed everything from the public option to expanded medicare. They allowed Senator Baucus to take the lead in conjuring a bill that mandates private health insurance, but is devoid of a public option. Indeed, Obama has spent more time attempting to convince us that he did not run on a public option platform despite indications otherwise. Furthermore, talking about the amount of money dumped on the senate by the health insurance industry's lobbyists is opening another can of worms.

Howard Dean briefly spoke against this, but quickly fell back in line. Going contrary just for the sake of it? Really Dr. Dean? I'm now glad I never had the opportunity to vote for you in 2004.

Even the House democrats who apparently have a bill with the public option are indicating that they are ready to drop it.

If I had to somehow call this an accomplishment, I would have to specify that creating a bill that somehow has met the disapproval of everyone in the spectrum from conservatives to liberals, for the exception of the insurance companies, is some kind of accomplishment.

And saying that Except For The Mandate And No Public Option, HCR Is Exactly Like What Obama Promised is tantamount to saying that "If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."
    Last edited by Vanguard; December 29th, 2009 at 06:44 PM.

I agree. It really degrades the value of the prize if someone can get it just for being acting like he's a rock star. I won't say this if he had brought peace to the middle east or stopped a genocide. But as of yet he's done nothing of the kind.

Well he did raise poor and working people's taxes last April and caused a spike in foreign car sales at taxpayer expense. That's about it.

Interesting that he didn't win this year's Nobel Prize for Economics.

Let's wait until next year to give Barack a pat on the back for a job well done. For now though I've learned not to celebrate before the game is over.

Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    9 months after Bush took office, the country had just undergone a major terrorist attack, so that's not really a fair president to judge Obama against.
    Exactly. The reason for both President Bush's high approval ratings at certain points of their presidency were based on the 9/11 attacks and the Gulf War ending in 1991. I remember being in Chicago for the parade welcoming home the troops, it looked like Senior Bush was on his way to an easy re-election the following year. Approval ratings can change very quickly, but I say give Obama more time, my daughter turns one years old on New Years Day and is starting to walk, kind of like a President in his first year, he's just learning the ropes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I believe the virtue of said revision is under serious debate at this time."
    In some circles, yes, but not everywhere. Let me make clear that I am a strong proponent of the public option. Obama, the Dems, and I soon realized that a truly comprehensive health care plan incluuding a public option was so innovative that it was beyond the comprehension of many (read Lieberman). I would rather have half a pie than no pie at all. This bill will continue to be modified over the years (as was/is social security and medicare) and eventually will include a public option, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Although was initially disappointed, I think this bill is a huge step forward and is a first step in removing the strangle hold the insurance companies have on the health care system. I LOVE my medicare plan!

I urge everyone to work for candidates (of whatever party) who support a public option in health care.

On this one issue Obama did a masterful job with getting his nose under the tent.

I'd rather have the pie too, but faced with the limited A-or-B choice between having no pie with no fine -- or be forced by the government to purchase one from a short list of for-profit bakeries, and then get fined for having no pie -- I'd be forced to choose no pie with no fine. Of course, I'd much rather have the public option pie or the single payer system pie that the rest of the advanced world enjoys.

So ... a public option may be more acceptable to many, read Lieberman, sooner or later? What will change their minds? In Obama's case, what will change his mind again? What is it that Obama, the Dems, and yourself are waiting for exactly to begin seriously advocating this now abandoned position?

If you're all looking for a hypermajority in the senate, I seriously doubt that is going to occur in light of current events. The already burdened working and middle class may not necessarily vote for the same party whose plans will contribute to their financial problems.

The people may not even vote for those who publicly advocate for a public option since they already did that with Obama and we're still witnessing that about face (fool me once ...). Obama and the dems might have attempted to mitigate this by not having the bill come into effect until after the 2012 elections. However, I believe the voters will have just a little bit more foresight this time around and not simply wait for the writing on the wall to negatively impact them. I hope they go for a third party in 2012, because this blue team versus red team stuff seems more dysfunctional than ever.

If it is indeed a removal of a huge stranglehold, then why have the insurance companies not been so loudly complaining? You'd think they'd be just a wee bit irate after throwing so much lobby money at our senators.

"In short, this is not about improving the health of the American people. It is about passing something-- anything-- to keep the Obama administration from ending up with egg on its face by being unable to pass a bill, after so much hype and hoopla."
    Last edited by Vanguard; December 30th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Let's wait until next year to give Barack a pat on the back for a job well done.
    Frankly, I'm for waiting until his term(s) ends, then we can pass judgment on his entire presidency. Until then --- keep working, Mister President, you have a LOT to get done! Back-pats aren't why you went for this job, and you'll get plenty when you are finished (if you earn them).

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Frankly, I'm for waiting until his term(s) ends, then we can pass judgment on his entire presidency. Until then --- keep working, Mister President, you have a LOT to get done! Back-pats aren't why you went for this job, and you'll get plenty when you are finished (if you earn them).
    Over the years of talking to people, I've noticed that those who are smooth talkers love pats on the back. Those who shun the public eye tend to keep working and shun the limelight. Obama is a smooth talker.

Since we're online, I'm struck by the sheer, nasty volume of anti-Obama (they claim it's anti-government) bandwidth being wasted in the off-topic sections of discussion forums. The posts are always long, angry, surprisingly similar and they do the electronic version of shouting down anyone who disagrees.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Cut some slack.
    Not only has Obama the responsibility of projecting responsibility of government after the irresponsible Bush II years, he also has to prove to the country that a "black" (i.e. a president of partial African heritage) has what it takes to lead.
    It's a wide role to fill, and to his credit the 'blackness' issue has not yet reared its ugly head.
    So far he's done better than some. I hope he once and for all levels the 'racial' playing field. It's about time.

K*
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Cut some slack.
    Not only has Obama the responsibility of projecting responsibility of government after the irresponsible Bush II years, he also has to prove to the country that a "black" (i.e. a president of partial African heritage) has what it takes to lead.
    It's a wide role to fill, and to his credit the 'blackness' issue has not yet reared its ugly head.
    So far he's done better than some. I hope he once and for all levels the 'racial' playing field. It's about time.

K*
    I'm not too concerned about his racial background. I'm more concerned about his merit. The leader could be a green-skinned Orion for all I care.

As for leveling the racial playing field, let me know when we have a Filipino-American US President, or a Native Hawaiian in the Oval Office. Sorry, but black and white don't concerned me much when I'm of a totally different color than black or white.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

We haven't even had a native Hawaiian on "Star Trek."

Yet.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast