Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or Socialized Medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or European-Modeled Socialized Medicine?

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    Well, yesterday I plunked down my $2384.17 and I finally get to have my surgery in the morning! They'll bill me for the rest. Too bad I still have $6 left on my deductible...

WHEN is this bill going to pass??
    Wouldn't kick in until at least 2012 or 2013. I no think you can wait that long. Will be thinking about you; good luck and God Bless.
    Cindy

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090811/...nd_of_life_q_a

Soylent Green?

Comment

The angry people at the town hall meetings remind me of baseball managers when they yell at umpires. I remember a sports video of ranting baseball managers set to the music of The Authority Song by John Mellencamp. Those old guys in tight uniforms yelling at umpires always make me . There should be a video of those angry town hall meetings people and the over the top baseball managers intercuting to I Fought Authority, Authority Always Win. There's a line in the song of, "Dying to me don't sound like all that much fun" that might relate to Healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          (orchestrated in that he knew who was fer it and who was agin it as he called on folks.)
          How did you come to that conclusion? Questioners were called at random. I know some of the am conservative radio jocks have said this, but they have a history of twisting the facts.

Now it is health "insurance" reform, even though, in the first place, the bill was obviously a reform of health insurance, not health care.
          The "public option" is still the most important single piece of this legislation. I will be disappointed with anything less. I would like everyone to have the same OPTION I have for public health insurance.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

"THE PRESIDENT: All right, last question, last question right here. This is a skeptic, right?

Q I am a skeptic.

THE PRESIDENT: Good.

Q Thank you, Mr. President, for coming to Portsmouth. My name is Michael Layon (ph). I'm from Derry, New Hampshire, District 1 in the congressional district. I'm one of the people that turned myself in on the White House Web page the other day for being a skeptic of this bill. I'm proud to have done so."

Taken from this transcript of the health care Town Hall in Portsmouth, Aug 11, 2009, heard on the video I viewed. After further review of the transcript, it may be that he only knew that his last question would be from a skeptic, but he did say that he wanted to focus on those who did not agree with him.

I stand by my reporting.

BTW, I agree with you that if the public option is removed, the teeth have been jerked from the jaws of health insurance reform (so to speak.)

Comment

There is not much positive in the forecast for swine flu this coming year--the forecast says about half the people in America will get sick and there may be around 90,000 deaths. The only positive thing is that the epidemic may put enough strain on our private health care system to collapse it, the insurance companies may have to take a hike on their obligations, and then government will have to step in, even Republicans might end up demanding it. This country can never plan for averting a disaster, it has to actually have a disaster before taking appropriate action, so ironically a miserable flu season might end up being a benefit by destroying the present system. Silver linings.

Comment

With Ted Kennedy passing away from brain cancer, I can't help but wonder how much of a difference the Massachusetts senator might have made had he not been ill and was able to take on an active role in shepherding a public health care option through the Senate. I mean, President Obama has the charisma and oratory skills to mesmirize the public and all. But getting thousands to chant "Yes We Can!" at town halls and rallies doesn't cut any mustard with the Republicans and conservative Democrats in Congress. That's where Kennedy's legislative experience and political savvy would have been so valuable in being able to hammer out some agreement that would have got enough senators on board with supporting some kind of meaningful reform.

Besides Kennedy's absense from the health care debate, another person who might have made a huge difference was Tom Daschle. Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is charming and had a reputation for bipartisanship in her home state of Kansas, but she is not a D.C. insider. I think that had Obama gotten his first choice (Daschle, the former Senate majority leader) to serve as the White House's point man when it came to health care legislation, the President would have had an easier time in getting all the Democrats to line up behind the administration when it came to supporting the public option.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 26, 2009, 04:22 AM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  My best gift came from the feds...government subsidized health care!!!
                  Actually, Tutu, this is a common misconception. Medicare is not "subsidized" by the government per se. Medicare is funded by the $96 taken from the recipients SS check plus contributions from the recipient and their employer through a lifetime of work.

Right now, Medicare is projected to be operating in the red by about 2020. The problem is when recipients live longer than the actuarial tables predict. People are living longer now through better medicines and healthier lifestyles. This coupled with skyrocketing health care costs leads to the potential for a problem, ten years down the road. This shortfall can be solved in a number of ways: delaying the age of Medicare eligibility, increased deductions in paychecks while working, increase the payment deducted from the SS check, or (matapule's preference) extend paycheck deductions from the current $106,000 annual income.

In the meantime Tutu, enjoy your new health care benefits as I do. We've earned them!

Health care reform NOW! YES WE CAN!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I hear ya, Matapule, and am aware of that. It just makes for a better story to expound upon it a bit!!! It is a government health care plan altho', as you rightfully point out, it's funded by...us!

You bring up a good point about Medicare. I assume the actuaries also include the all too many people who die before they're eligible.

I'm still navigating the Medicare seas and have hit a couple of swells altho' I have chosen my plan and am enrolled. My current HMSA policy will end as of Sept. 1. That makes me nervous only because it's a plan I've had for 27 years and has worked for me. However, no longer having to pay that $350/monthly premium is helping to smooth those seas just a bit!

Comment

• Re: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or European-Modeled Socialized Medicine?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      Medicare is funded by the $96 taken from the recipients SS check plus contributions from the recipient and their employer through a lifetime of work.

Right now, Medicare is projected to be operating in the red by about 2020.

Your post was intriguing....

According to the SSA Trustees Report Summary, the Medicare taxes I am paying into the system now are going directly back out, paying for current needs:

"As was true in 2008, Medicare's Hospital Insurance (HI) Trust Fund is expected to pay out more in hospital benefits and other expenditures this year than it receives in taxes and other dedicated revenues[read 'from your SS check.'] The difference will be made up by redeeming trust fund assets. Growing annual deficits are projected to exhaust HI reserves in 2017...."

It goes on to say that the Part B is currently being funded by what is withheld from your SS check.

From what I gather, new Medicare recipients are the ones being hit with:

"It is expected that about one quarter of Part B enrollees will be subject to unusually large premium increases in the next two years."

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                        Growing annual deficits are projected to exhaust HI reserves in 2017...."

That is approximately correct, depending on who's analysis you read. That is why there will need to be new sources of funding due to longevity of seniors and escalating health care costs. I favor increasing the cap on medicare wages to fund the shortfall.

It goes on to say that the Part B is currently being funded by what is withheld from your SS check.
                        I presume that is correct, I am not sure.

"It is expected that about one quarter of Part B enrollees will be subject to unusually large premium increases in the next two years."
                        Maybe yes, maybe no. What Obama is trying to do is regulate the health care industry to curb runaway costs and also the streamline the system to eliminate inefficiencies.

He needs are support. YES WE CAN.

Comment

[/I]
                          Maybe yes, maybe no. What Obama is trying to do is regulate the health care industry to curb runaway costs and also the streamline the system to eliminate inefficiencies.
                          The government "curb runaway costs and also the streamline the system to eliminate inefficiencies"
                          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                            The government "curb runaway costs and also the streamline the system to eliminate inefficiencies"
                            All it takes is a strong leader, something we haven't had in a long time.

Comment

All it takes is a strong leader, something we haven't had in a long time.
                              I expect he's strong enough to raise our taxes to make healthcare reform possible.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                I expect he's strong enough to raise our taxes to make healthcare reform possible.
                                Yes, Random, if you make over $250K annually, your taxes WILL be going up. You must be one of those "trust fund babies."

Comment

Working...
                                X